Nicolai Helius AC 650b demo

Home Forum Bike Forum Nicolai Helius AC 650b demo

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Nicolai Helius AC 650b demo
  • messiah

240g I believe….

I remember that figure being bandied around on the MTBR forum and it was for Dippers daft fancy Koi camo colour which required loads of paint.

I also read somewhere that its 100g if you go for painted front part and ano rear.

Apparently choosing the colour is difficult… my bikes always end up looking the colour of the local mud ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Premier Icon Chainline
    Subscriber

It averages about 300g for paint.

Neninja you can always just ask for a custom TB, a small with longer TT/ST. Clearly that is more expensive, have a chat with Gravity Sports, but if you wanted to say with Nicolai it would do it. You could discuss any other changes you might prefer too.

HobNob, don’t you ride Special eds carbon wonder bike? I presume that’s a gentle brand dig ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Nicolai are pretty conservative with their weights since they always take the position that the bikes long term integrity and the way it rides is more important. When I’ve discussed target weights for frames with them they have always refused if they remotely consider it would impact their reputation in terms of frame stiffness or longevity.

If you do a component weight breakdown in a spreadsheet of the demo build with a 3250g frame you get pretty much that weight, if not a touch less.

My Ion15 frame in L is 3.3kg.

messiah

300g seems a lot for paint, but stans painted rims are 40g heavier than the anodised ones so it makes sense as a frame takes a lot more paint.

Weight-weenies always go for anodised ๐Ÿ™„ (although I guess true weight-weenies would never look at a Nicolai since they are not carbon ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

duir

You don’t buy a Nicolai because you want a light bike, you buy it for top quality German engineering, durability and a superb ride.

I have a Nicolai Helius AC 2013 26″ which isn’t a 27.5″ but many would argue the only difference is the number after the name.

Anyway, it’s a superb bike in every way and climbs like a demon. It is size large, has 160mm Pikes front and has been built up fit for purpose for where I mainly ride which is the mountains of Scotland and the Lakes. It weighs in at just over 31lbs and I could spend ยฃ100’s making it a bit lighter but I am a big lad and most of the descents round here are like full on DH courses so it needs to stay in one piece. I am amazed (and a bit skeptical) at how light some people claim their Nicolai’s are but I would say the key thing would be wheel and tyre choice to get the weight down.

I got mine in raw as it was one of the free options and I assumed it would wear much harder than paint. If I had the money I would have opted for anodized but nothing to do with weight and everything to do with how durable that would be.

I think the main thing with Nicolai’s is they ride miles lighter than they weigh and really are superbly well made. I am planning another 2 Nicolai’s over the next 2 years but will gladly pay the 26″ premium to future proof myself against the next industry lead MTB marketing con job which will be re-inventing 26″ wheels within 3 years!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

+1 for Gravity Sports, top bloke and great service (and best price for Nicolai’s in the UK!)

Premier Icon Chainline
    Subscriber

Duir, I agree on the weight…it’s costs alot to lose a little and its incremental, you have to look everywhere, there are places where compromise is ok and some where its not but it depends so much on where and what you ride. You can save loads of weight in tyres butt that’s no good if you cut them all the time, dropper posts weigh a ton, but ai personally would ride without one now.
    I ve a load in my saddle and that suits me but for many its a torture device…
    Much like wheel size it’s horses for courses, one mans stable rocketship is another mans dull plough.

messiah

Gravity Sports Ion 15 which I plan to be chucking a leg over shortly 8)

I rode that ion 15 a while ago. Over active and hyper sensitive compared to my AC but the rear CCDs air was bottomless. Nice bike.

philbert31

Has anyone got a working phone number for Gravity Sports, there’s nothing on the site and the number I got on Google doesn’t work!

Premier Icon Taz
    Subscriber

I am very tempted by the raw look. My knees tend to rub off paint / anodising on the top tube and my heel on the non drive chainstay

I agree weight is not a key factor but when considering a new bike it is good to bat about the options and the pros and cons.

I have had 5 Nicolai’s – all have been anodised black ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Premier Icon Chainline
    Subscriber

Philbert31 ygm

Gravity Sports: 07812 186169

Premier Icon Chainline
    Subscriber

TLR as the person who had a hand in the ldesign of both the AC and Ion I’m surprised you found that.

I think you’ll find we did a pretty damn good job with the Ion15 ๐Ÿ™‚ the Ion is much more optimised around a 1×10, it is designed to work very well in out the saddle pedalling and in rough terrain but It is more sensitive to shock setup for sat down pedalling

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/nicolai-ion-15-2014.html

philbert31

Cheers Chainline!

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Nicolai Helius AC 650b demo’ is closed to new replies.