Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Nicolai – 650b – any views or news?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Thinking about a new frame.

650b looks like the new cool.

Love the look of the Helius TB but 26 only so far – will this change with all the other manafactures going exclusively 650b or 29er?

Any views on the 650b Helius? How does the geometry change using the different travel settings. Would prop run it 135mm more than 150mm but still want super slack bike.

Anybody?

LoCo
    Free Member

Nicolai Sam has one, expect he’ll be along in a bit, it’s very nice.

Rik
    Free Member

Oh – what’s the warranty like if you need to use it. I know it’s 5 years and transferable – but has anybody actually broken a Nicolai?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rik
    Free Member

Cheers loco – need to give you a ring at some point about the email I sent last week.

ninfan
    Free Member

but has anybody actually broken a Nicolai?

Well, there was one bloke on here a while ago, who claimed his was bent out of alignment when he received it, but didn’t notice for about a year and a half before taking it up with them.

Rik
    Free Member

Sounds a bit of an odd situation …..

d45yth
    Free Member

Have a look at the Nicolai forum on MTBR…if there’s any info, it’ll be on there.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

i’ve managed to crack the chain stays on my AM!!

it was second hand and i dont have the papwerwork and after the trouble i had when i broke my cannondale i was expecting a fight, but Simon at Nicolai UK has been ace and long story short the chain stays are being replaced under warrenty, with no problems at all!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Helius TB now available in 650b for size small and 29 on the larger sizes. On the current Nicolai range changing the rear travel has no effect on geometry (not 100% true but changes are negligible)

Nicolai’s *do* break – we had a poor guy on a 8 week old AM who rode it into a tree at speed and bent the front frame in half behind the gussets 🙁 Like everyone elses warranty ours is against production faults rather than crash damage. We don’t get many failures.

bspoked
    Free Member

Where are you Rik?

Moonglu in Ripon have one hanging up behind the counter. A couple of weeks ago they were just waiting for some 650b forks to build it up. It is the lad who works there’s bike, so I’m sure he would let you have a play on it.

Rik
    Free Member

Moonglu’s not to far away – might have to visit

Simons – quick response. Def don’t want a 29er but do like the lighter weight and reduced travel of the TB. Is there no option for the 650b on the larger frames think I’d either be a large or XL? Like the idea of the TB aswell as its 190×50 so I could get a frame only as I’ve already got a kashima rp23 and a ccdb in that size.

Rik
    Free Member

Great news professorfaceplant.

bspoked
    Free Member

Sorry – should have said that it was the AC650b in Moonglu, not the TB. Give them a call though, they might have one in too.

Rik
    Free Member

Still be good to have a look at the AC.

mattjg
    Free Member

(thread check in so I can follow it).

mattjg
    Free Member

finding myself a bit baffled by all the options at http://www.nicolai.net/110-1-Mainpage+Enduro+Trailride.html

what’s what?

Rik
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I have a AC 650b. Had a 26″ AC before.

Thing i noticed the most on it are very stiff rear end,New ones have Longer top tube and slacker head angle,makes the bike very stable at high speeds and is amazing descending,but still climbs like a goat.
    The 2 Travel settings make no difference to geometry.In my opinion i wouldnt run it with a 130mm travel fork unless it has a very long Axle to crown height,Bb height is quite low with a 150mm Revelation and i think you would run the risk of lots of pedal strikes if running a 130mm fork.
    I am waiting for the new 160mm 650 Pike to land on our shores..Should bring even more fun to an excellent all round bike.
    Can be built up easily to 28 lbs inc reverb.

Rik
    Free Member

Cool answer – don’t really want to run it with 130mm forks, but would like a 125/130 rear to make sure it doesn’t flatten things, but just takes the edge of at speed. But still want the slack, low and long. Hence me looking at the Helius TB – but that limits you to 32mm 130mm forks – when ideally like 34mm 140mm forks.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Most 130mm forks that have a tapered steerer and 15 mm axle are pretty stiff nowadays.
    Would be a very good trail bike running 130mm.
    I decided that i wanted a 1 bike for everything at the time.But now also have a Trek superfly 100 SL 29er as my XC bike,Its fast and light but isnt as much fun or as confidence inspiring as the AC for ridng,the AC makes you wanna hop off stuff and use Roots as small kickers and send it off small jumps and drops

duir
    Free Member

I have had an 2013 AC 26″ for a while and it’s superb. It’s not light (31lbs) but it rides light and will stay in one piece unlike my last frame.

In the short time I have had it I have done everything from 3800′ Munro’s and 6 hour rides to very steep and technical Scottish DH courses. It’s nothing short of exceptional and build quality/attention to detail is the best in the business.

The geometry they quote seems a bit off to me ie mine is slacker than advertised which I really like. My setup with revelations 150’s feels more like 66 degrees than 67 and when the new Pikes arrive shortly it will be even slacker. A bike like this is just so good at everything and if you run proper components and tyres it is fit for anything.

As for 650b I couldn’t say as I think it’s utterly pointless but each to their own. One thing is for sure, if it’s made by Nicolai there will be a massive amount of thought that has gone into it and it will be a superb bike.

Rik
    Free Member

Bump to see if Simons_nicolai-uk is around for the 650b Helius TB question

– is it available in 650lb for L/XL sizes?
    – Also what fork is it now warranted for? i.e. can I use a 34mm fork?

Cheers

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Was out on my AC today,1st time in a month,Forgot how much fun that bike is,And its pretty quick for a 32 lb bike.

4 KOM and a 21 mile ride in 26 degrees..

Cant wait untill friday for the most rocky and unfriendly trails that i ride..It feels at home on them.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

What trails would those be?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

In Cornwall,way down West

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

650b Helius TB question

– is it available in 650lb for L/XL sizes?
    – Also what fork is it now warranted for? i.e. can I use a 34mm fork?

Would be a custom build (with £650 upcharge) so potentially could build additional reinforcement to take larger fork but would of course be weight penalty.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Nicolai – 650b – any views or news?’ is closed to new replies.