Nicola Adams

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Nicola Adams
  • headfirst

What an absolutely smashing lass! That is all.

wooobob

Yep, top girl. That whole interview was a pleasure to watch. 😀

Premier Icon dawson
    Subscriber

+1
    Some other athletes would do well to be so smiley!

dh

Million dollar smile.

Fantastic stuff.

i’m not a boxing fan,but fair play to the lady and good luck to her 😀

athgray

She came across really well.

Coyote

Bright, intelligent and an amazing smile. What’s not to like?

Cracking lass. Came out looking like the Dark Destroyer in the first couple of rounds – Chinese girl couldn’t live with her. Awesome stuff.

stevewhyte

She was very impressive. Not a great fan of amateur boxing but that was good to watch.

Merak
    deluded

Great boxer and has a nice way about her.

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

How did all those Irish fans get tickets for the Katie Taylor fight? Looked like an unbelievable atmosphere for both fights!

I took to her straight away – just seemed to love every minute of it.

CountZero

Not a boxing fan, but not bothered by women boxing, as some are, and I was thrilled to bits for her. To get a gold in the inaugural competition, in front of your home crowd, well, for any competitor, it really, really can’t get better than that, and beating the current World Champion while you’re at it? Just incredible! And she’s such a delight, her joy and enthusiasm seems boundless.
    Now, if they could harness that, and find a way of powering things, who needs fusion reactors. 😀

avdave2

She has to be another on the SPOTY shortlist. First ever gold medal in an event and a fantastic attitude and personality.

geetee1972

I saw an interview with her after she won a place in the final and man she was happy and of course you would be. Imagine how she’s feeling today.

Million Dollar Baby!

Look at her win in the ring, and then compare it to Jade Jones’ win in the Taekwon Don’t and it makes the latter look like the joke it is.

peterfile

Congratulations to Nicola Adams for winning a gold medal in the Olympic Final of the women’s fly weight.

She had to overcome years of sexisim and innuendo in the sport to get this far.

I, for one, was really looking forward to seeing her box.

😉

Premier Icon Blackhound
    Subscriber

I was at the semi-finals and Nicola looked good but I thought the Chinese girl might beat her in the final. Glad I was wrong, she fought really well. As well supported as Nicola was it was so different went Katie Taylor made an appearance.

I was really there to see Katie, unreal support for her. To answer theotherjonv the reason for so many Irish supporters is she is our ‘Jess Ennis’ – the most likely winner of a gold medal. Everybody knew when she was fighting and lets face it, womens boxing was not going to be top of most peoples lists of things to see. Tickets relatively easy to get.

Shay Given was at the semi-finals and was being pestered by fans for autographs and photo’s after the fight but he was in good humour. And the DLR was like the DART on the way back to central London.

compare it to Jade Jones’ win in the Taekwon Don’t and it makes the latter look like the joke it is.

Awesome, she brought a smile to my face, got a lovely way about her. 🙂

grum

mastiles_fanylion – just what I was thinking. Eh?

Look at her win in the ring, and then compare it to Jade Jones’ win in the Taekwon Don’t and it makes the latter look like the joke it is.

❓ +1!

ncfenwick

How did all those Irish fans get tickets for the Katie Taylor fight? Looked like an unbelievable atmosphere for both fights!

Read somewhere that they recorded the loudest crowd noise at the Olympics at one of her fights (113db i think?)

Premier Icon Blackhound
    Subscriber

I heard the as well re the 113db, and a jumbo jet taking off is 110db it said. Fields of Athenry was being sung with gusto towards the end of the semi-final. Any excuse! And not a lot to sing about in Ireland in recent times.

geetee1972

❓ +1!

What is is that you don’t understand?

…what your issue is with Taekwondo compared to boxing?

Both sports require a high degree of physical fitness and skill.

geetee1972

Well i watched the boxing, and I watched the TKD and I spent 15 years training myself in Goju Ryu and and reached the level of San Dan and trained with amateur boxers and the conclusion I reach from watching the TKD event is that it’s pathetic.

I just can’t see what the point of competitive TKD actually is other than it being a glorified game of tig and I’m taking an informed view on this.

In the context of the rules as they are established for TKD, sure it’s a win and a gold medal and there would have been a lot of work before hand. But what Nicola Adams will have gone through before the bout and what she had to do in the bout, makes TKD look like a joke in terms of effort.

grum

I spent 15 years training myself in Goju Ryu and and reached the level of San Dan and trained with amateur boxers and the conclusion I reach from watching the TKD event is that it’s pathetic.

I just can’t see what the point of competitive TKD actually is other than it being a glorified game of tig and I’m taking an informed view on this.

Oh, you wanted to big yourself up and do down a 19 year old Olympic champion? Go and get a gold medal yourself if it’s so easy. 🙄

geetee1972

Oh, you wanted to big yourself up and do down a 19 year old Olympic champion? Go and get a gold medal yourself if it’s so easy.

No, I’m saying that my opinion is informed, not that of an armchair commentator. My training days are well behind me; I doubt I could fight my way out of a wet paper bag these days. And I’m not putting down Jade or TKD, I’m saying the competition TKD is daft and not worthy of Olympic status.

Also Goju Ryu isn’t a ‘sport’ and therefore wasn’t open to Olympic competition, but since you bring it up, based on how much I was training and the effort I was putting in, had I had that option, I would have been going for it.

What is is that you don’t understand?

I don’t understand why you think the sport is a joke. Enlighten me.

Okay, so I didn’t see your later reply. Still don’t understand why you think it is a joke though. Is swimming funny? Do you laugh at archery?

my opinion is informed

No it isn’t. You ‘taught yourself something’. So in *your opinion*, your opinion is the correct one.

Why not have a go yourself and win yourself a Gold if it is so easy.

Big man.

grum

Also Goju Ryu isn’t a ‘sport’ and therefore wasn’t open to Olympic competition, but since you bring it up, based on how much I was training and the effort I was putting in, had I had that option, I would have been going for it.

lol, so you think you ‘could have been a contender’ if only you’d been allowed, and now you’re bitter and looking to demean others’ success. Nice.

geetee1972

Because the execution of technique and skill in the context of a competition, bears no resemblance to ‘martial’ aspect of the overall system.

Thinking about it logically, if you have a system of martial art, like boxing, karate, kung-fu etc, and what you want to do is see who is the best at it, then logically you would want the competitive environment to mirror the way the system works in the real world.

Aiming for that realism, means that you get to see who ‘wins’ in a mock fight; who has the best execution of skill and technique.

The problem with competition TKD is that the way the ‘fights’ are played out is nothing like how it would work in a real situation, unlike boxing. They aren’t actually executing an effective technique and everything they do up to the point where they do score a point, is likely to end up with them out cold on the floor if they were to try that in a real fight.

Thus, the way the ‘fights’ are executed is just arbitrary; it’s a false construct of something.

Boxing on the other hand is played out in the ring exactly as it would be played out in a real situation. If Nicola Adams connected one of the punches she threw in a ring with you on the street, you’d go down. And similarly, the way she would execute that in the real world is the same as she does in the ring. The sport reflects reality.

That’s my point.

I’ve nothing against TKD as a martial arts system, just how they run their competitions.

GT I’d at while you’re behind, don’t think you’ll find much support for your expert opinion.

So a 19 year old woman winning a Gold in the sport is ‘a joke’ because you don’t agree with how they run the competitions because they aren’t ‘real’ then?

Perhaps the shooting and archery and javelin and discus and (insert any other sport originally based on hunting/killing skills) should only be played against live targets too. You know, just to make it look ‘real’.

Muppet.

geetee1972

lol, so you think you ‘could have been a contender’ if only you’d been allowed

No it’s not really that – not bitter at all. I am very proud of what I achieved and where I got to. I had no interest in competing because what I trained in what not a sport, which is sort of the problem with making martial arts a ‘sport’.

And I didn’t teach myself anything. I was taught by someone else and spent many years training with many different people from various martial arts backgrounds including TKD.

Really, this is not an ego trip for me, it’s my informed opinion which I am perfectly entitled to express, just like everyone else on here. I doubt you’ll believe that statement, but hey ho.

Am I demeaning her success? No, I’m demeaning the competition.

brakes

I’m hastened to agree with gt72, it does seem to be a strange sport to include in the Olympics – just seems a bit simple – kick to the body, kick to the body, kick to the body, do a spin kick and miss, kick to the head.
    Apparently it’s the most practised martial art in the world.
    My opinion is uninformed if that gives it any more validity.

grum

Boxing on the other hand is played out in the ring exactly as it would be played out in a real situation. If Nicola Adams connected one of the punches she threw in a ring with you on the street, you’d go down. And similarly, the way she would execute that in the real world is the same as she does in the ring. The sport reflects reality

Except it doesn’t because most fights don’t actually involve people dancing round each other with their guard up occasionally throwing punches, moderated by a referee stopping them from getting in close. Most ‘real’ fights very quickly descend into grappling which is presumably why people who are good at that generally do well in MMA.

Nope, clearly not demeaning her win at all.

So in a ‘real fight’ people would stand face-to-face and fight to Queensberry Rules then!

Boxing is as much like real fighting as Taekwondo is – both are sanitised versions for competition.

If Nicola Adams connected one of the punches she threw in a ring with you on the street, you’d go down.

If you got a kick in the head from Jade Jones you’d also go down pretty sharpish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Nicola Adams’ is closed to new replies.