Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Nicknames for Teachers……
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

Inspired by the mention of “Bullet” Baxter from Grange Hill on another thread and a couple of conversations i’ve had with my 12 year old daughter who’s in first year at high school…..

Do teachers not have nicknames at school anymore?
    My daughter couldn’t provide me with more than one humourously named educator at her school. ( Mr. Babybel)

When I went to the same school thirty-something years ago we had loads… There was Chimp and Greasy, Grotbags and Maggie Beast, Panshiner and Sweaty Betty.

If you’re a teacher, do the kids have a name for you?

Who were the imaginatively named teachers when you were a kid?

Go.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not that amusing really:

Fag-ash Lil
    Nobby Styles
    Maxie
    Straw Dick
    Buck Rogers
    Jamie
    John Thomas

slowoldman

I’m sure they still do .

We had
    Stapleneck
    Monotone Jim
    Clank (the w**k)
    Cough-cough

jimw
    Free Member

Mr. King was usually known as Wan

Rubber_Buccaneer

Mr Bates was always referred to as Master Bates
    The rural studies teacher was Scrunge (no idea of real name, only the thick kids did rural studies)
    Miss Ballwinkle was funny enough without a nickname

maccruiskeen

Turner the Bastard – Chemistry Teacher who (legend told) fed phosphorus to seagulls – he was part of a small clique of receding haired, veiny templed, beetle-browed, scowl-y and authoritarian teachers that used to patrol the portacabined area of the playground during lunchtime, generally put a stop to any fun. Collectively they were known as the Bastard Squad.

finbar
    Free Member

The textiles teacher at my secondary school, Mrs Griffiths, was alternately referred to as any of the following:

Griff-griff-smoke a spliff
    Homeclothes
    Skeletor

DaRC_L

We had a music teacher called Mr Spinks
    – no prizes for guessing what we called him

PJ266
    Free Member

Ahh memories…

Caveman
    Pinhead
    Hagrid (shows that I’m not toooo old)

maccruiskeen

If you’re a teacher, do the kids have a name for you?

My dad started out as a teacher, one of his first schools had a system of sending correspondence between classrooms couriered by trusted and dependable pupils. They all believed these messages were serious and necessary communications without which the machinery school would grind to a halt. They weren’t – they were jokes, and the game for teachers was maintaining a poker face while drafting another correspondence for the pupil to take back. The game was nearly up when my dad was handed an envelope – opened it and it read ‘This has got to be the ugliest kid in the school’.

mattyfez

Iron Mike.. Pe teacher
    Mr cook.. Female Pe teacher who looked like a man
    Tefal.. Technology teacher with big forehead
    Lighbulb.. English teacher who went bright red when angry

johndoh
    Free Member

We had a ‘Duck Island’ named because of his unusual bald spot 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

A few off the top of my head:

Belly
    Fatty Batty
    Perky
    Whiz
    Charlie
    Greasy
    Bob-a-job
    Flecky
    Wedgie

and not forgetting…

Buggers

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Plugger – old fashioned PE master, taught boxing in the day, great teacher (guaranteed A)
    Spoon/Cecil – protruding backside and initials CEC
    Elsie – initials LC
    Ernie Scrotum – no idea, great bloke RIP
    Crackers – obvious surname of biscuit fame RIP, great bloke, loved to whack people!!! RIP
    Mike the fag – obvious RIP
    Herbie – can’t remember even though he was my housemaster
    Monty – don’t know, great bloke, squeaky brogues, lousy teacher but favourite RIP
    Bummer – obvious (allegedly)
    Whitbread – big head (trophy bitter, the pint that thinks it’s a quart) great hockey player, bowled super fast at us in the cricket nets too mental
    The whiskey priest – unfounded but stuck
    Swivel cow
    Victor – tall language master after the poor giraffe who had to be put down in some zoo
    Fling – surname was the give away
    Ratty – did look like one too

Oh, heck must stop this is taking back too much

Pyro

Hitler Roberts- pretty obvious
    Bender Lonsdale – spent a lot of time hunched over, hands in pockets, change jangling
    Test-Tube Thompson – short, skinny, taught chemistry
    Dr ‘Zarkov’ Roberts – chemistry teacher, slight resemblance to Topol.

Few others, but those were the most enduring.

perchypanther
    Free Member

My dad started out as a teacher, one of his first schools had a system of sending correspondence between classrooms couriered by trusted and dependable pupils.

WE had this too but the Geography teacher Mr Gow (a.k.a “Ydna Wog”), a slightly camp Fifer with an extremely high voice, foolishly chose my extremely untrustworthy and larcenous older brother to deliver a top secret and important missive to the french teacher, Miss Allison.

Naturally, my brother opened it as soon as he was out of sight to find it contained a single Rolo, which he promptly ate and then went for a fag for the rest of the period.

jimw
    Free Member

My father was a teacher and after my brother and I were taken in to school as tiny tots in the early 1960’s (to be shown off I guess) he was forever known as ‘Daddy’, even up to when he retired 25 years later.

there are worse things to be called as seen above

jimdubleyou

Mr Roberts – Billiards. Used to stand at the front of the class playing with his balls.

jakehinton
    Free Member

We had a dinner lady who got called mrs pigeon and everyone cooed at her en mass

growinglad
    Free Member

Mr Cutmore (Real Name)

Woodwork teacher with fingers missing from one hand.

Last part of nickname was “more fingers off”.

We were horrible really. Looking back, he was a pretty descent bloke.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Mr Baird – Yogi.

His shortarsed mate, well, you can guess, can’t you.

senorj

We had one called Gunner – he was always gunner do this , gunner do that.

sharkbait
    Free Member

35 years ago now but been thinking about these recently. Most notable ones where
    Dildo D****n
    Easy Rider (school vicar who rode his bike around school)
    Tex and Rex (Metalwork and woodwork teachers – they were their real names too)
    Cheesy (used to smile a lot – )
    Chiefy (no idea why but he’s a nice guy)
    Gobby (welsh geography teacher – big guy)
    Et Bon (french teacher)
    Geoff (headmaster)
    Knockers (matron)

Cougar

I was going to say I couldn’t remember any, but then there was this:

We had one of those too! Same nickname, same subject.

allthepies
    Free Member

Cuboid
    Noddy
    Bollock chops
    Zoot
    Taffy

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

chopper – no idea why – great bloke I owe a lot

maccruiskeen

We had one of those too! Same nickname, same subject.

Now that I think about it – so did we. Its quite possible they were all clones or androids.

P-Jay
    Free Member

We had one called “Strawbs” legend had it someone once saw her first name and it was ‘Aubrey’ (it was actually Audrey).

She had a terrifying reputation, like a Female Mr. Bronson from Grange Hill, She was pretty old fashioned and acted like a School Mistress rather than the ones that thought they’d get more out of us if they let us use their first name and let us ‘learn freely’ which was code for ‘do sod all’, but she was never vindictive or spiteful – just direct with a formal politeness, she used all her P’s and Q’s and expected everyone to do the same.

People used to shout “Strawbs!” in corridors and hundreds of kids would scatter off, even if we were meant to be there in the first place, even after she retired!

She wasn’t known for her sense of humor, but she must have had one – I remember at the year-end assembly they used to play music – she always played “Strawberry Fields” and everyone sat about trying not to piss themselves ‘OMG! Strawbs is playing Strawberry Fields’ like in the 30 years or so the kids had called her that, she’d never found out.

She was the only teacher who ever gave me detention, and I forgot to go – didn’t hear anything about it again, but I didn’t really drop my guard until last year when I read she’d died, I wouldn’t put it past her to wait 25 years before cornering me and asking why I thought my time was more important that hers.

jemima
    Free Member

Brilliant stuff. Memories trickling back. We had:

Dr Pockets – had a doctorate and was always trying to put his hands in boys pockets
    Kinky – nuff said
    Tin tin – quiffy hair but had a fierce temper
    Donnie – his name
    Joe-man – dunno why, it was affectionate – best teacher ever
    FAF – acronym for fat backsided 2nd name
    Womble – alliterative and self explanatory

There were so many more but that’s all I can remember just now… kids are so harsh…

We also had a Mr Gay – real name…

tenfoot

We had:-

Bollock Eyes
    Chicken Head
    Marge (something to do with her legs!)
    Piggy
    Benny

Kids are cruel. There must have been others but I can’t think of any at the moment.

bigjim

jemima, I went to the same school as you 8)

kcal

Hm. lets see —
    ‘Goofy’ French the English teacher, protruding teeth
    ‘Clink’ – McLean (I think – something like that ), deputy head, hard ba…d, looked and spoke like Mr Mcakay from Porridge, had a couple of cracking daughters, kind of test of Hercules to ask them out…
    ‘Beefchops’ Gordon, Geography teacher, used to boast of being in the army (I think) in Africa, good pal of Idi Amin (wtf…)
    ‘Dobs’ – edit…Robertson (can’t recall surname, that’s awful)physics teacher, had some cracking mannerisms, great teacher – turns out also taught my future boss, while at different school. Nairn Academy.. inspirational..
    ‘Stiff shit’ Davidson – Biology, walked very stiffly..
    ‘Yehudi’ McEwan, PE teacher..

oh and peg leg Bob Todd the maths teacher – great guy to be fair

Northwind

We didn’t really do proper nicknames, we just had Mental Todd, whose name was Todd and who was Mental. Pretty clever.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Maggot. The PE teachers with a broken finger that was crooked.
    ****. The deputy. No idea why apart from the fact he was once.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah ha, yes teachers names:

Mrs Smith was called LankySpanky because she was lanky and she handed out spanks.
    Mr Smith (the husband of Mrs Smith) was called RonHill because despite being a Maths teacher he wore Ronhills.
    Mrs Storr became Storky, she was lovely and I had a crush on her.
    Mrs Griffiths became Tits, because she had a massive pair.
    Mr Petterson (the Head) was called Petty, because he was.
    Mr Weeks became Peudo because he was always chasing young boys.

It was so long ago now I can barely remember them. There was 600 pupils in my school, the rotation of teachers per month was about 10. They came and went because we were an ex-pat school in deepest Fort Lauderdale, and most teachers were on some secondment from the UK.

teasel
    Free Member

We called one poor sod Isaiah. He had a noticeable defect – one eye’s higher than the other.

In retrospect I feel kind of guilty because I know he overheard on a number of occasions.

Inch High in the same school. A short-arsed nasty piece of work that had penchant for throwing his bunch of keys at kid’s faces. He wasn’t a private eye but bore a passing resemblance.

jp-t853

Pyro – Member

Hitler Roberts- pretty obvious
    Bender Lonsdale – spent a lot of time hunched over, hands in pockets, change jangling
    Test-Tube Thompson – short, skinny, taught chemistry
    Dr ‘Zarkov’ Roberts – chemistry teacher, slight resemblance to Topol.

Few others, but those were the most enduring.

You didn’t mention ‘Crow’ 🙂 I remember we counted the number of times he paced up and down the chemistry lab and he covered nearly a mile in a double lesson. His wife’s home-made bras were legend.

When did you leave I finished A-Levels in 1990.

enigmas
    Free Member

To the rather large dinner lady Mrs Waterfield who we called Mrs Watermelon, I’m so sorry.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Eddie Bum-chin

Mr Edwards, head of maths and year head, who had…you guessed it…a chin like a bum.

Decent sort.

Pigface
    Free Member

Hoss
    Oeuf
    Stumpy Leg
    Barney Rubble
    Monkey man who used to teach us biology, we were doing blood stuff and had a test to see if we were rhesus positive or negative, he demonstrated and was rhesus negative to which he said “so I am less a monkey man than you think” we were all stunned he knew what we called him 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Nicknames for Teachers……’ is closed to new replies.