Nick Clegg knighthood – aka pin the tail on the donkey ?

Home Forum Chat Forum Nick Clegg knighthood – aka pin the tail on the donkey ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Nick Clegg knighthood – aka pin the tail on the donkey ?
  • Midnighthour

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nick-clegg-knighthood-new-years-honours-list-coalition-a8128481.html

Former deputy prime minister Nick Clegg is in line to receive a knighthood for his political and public service in the New Year’s honours list, according to reports.

So much for his constituents sacking him at the last election. Why listen to the public (your employers) eh?

I am not a supporter of the DUP/conservative deal, but I admire the DUP have at least kept their party integrity in dealing with the conservatives and gained concrete stuff for their own constituents in addition. I also doubt the DUP will destroy utterly their own party and get all their own MPs sacked.

Still on the bright side, this reward to a man lacking any self awareness must annoy the hell out of (not sir, not president) Blair, while unfortunately at the same time feeding him a thread of hope…
    🙂

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

I quite like Nick Clegg..
    As they go.. a decent politician and did a reasonable job of reining in the Tories.
    What’s not to like?

mrmoofo

Nothing like getting a knighthood for just doing the job you are paid for ….
    Can we all have one?

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Shouldn’t get a knighthood… but… in coalition the LibDems did work in the interest of the whole country… and paid a predictably high price for working with and moderating the Conservatives… DUP don’t give a shit about anyone but themselves.

5thElefant

Another face in the trough. Great.

Midnighthour

“a decent politician and did a reasonable job of reining in the Tories.
    What’s not to like?”

– making a rubbish bargain with the conservatives (compare the DUPs better one)
    – lying about his own politic position to get votes (student loans)
    – destroying his party
    – causing nearly all the liberal mps to loose their jobs
    – reducing opposition to the conservatives long term (many voters will vote tory rather than labor given there is no point at all in voting for the utterly diminished liberal party for the next decade)
    – making the conservatives appear ‘softer’ than reality thereby helping them get a 2nd term.

Quite a lot not to like really.

Its really sad to see the liberal party so flushed down the pan, by a man happy to get rewarded for doing so, and the serious political voting options for the population decreased in the process.

I used to quite like Clegg too by the way, but he started modelling himself on Blair – sell out anything happily to gain personal power.

Premier Icon hatter
    Subscriber

In 2010 his leadership was a major reason we got a stable government and managed to weather the financial crisis as well as we did.

For this he had to give up his party’s purity of opposition, make difficult compromises and as a result he was utterly and predictably shafted.

He’s not perfect by a long stretch but I do feel that he will be judged much more kindly by history than he is now.

Can anyone honestly say the country has been better run since the 2015 election than is was when Clegg and co were in the cabinet?

bikebouy

Yay!
    I’d support him. Well deserved IMO.

There’s more backbone in him than all the lying Tory Pig beastiality fornicators put together.

Midnighthour

Can anyone honestly say the country has been better run since the 2015 election than is was when Clegg and co were in the cabinet?

It would have been better run had Clegg not struck such a grovelling deal with the conservatives. The liberals did not even get the proportional voting option they favored on to the ballot, yet alone get it into legislation, which was the main thing they sold out the country for.

As I said, not a fan of the DUP generally, but much respect for strength they have shown in getting what their party and their voters want, rather than sucking up, grovelling in gratefulness and sinking their own ship in the process.

thegreatape

The DUP have shown neither strength nor integrity. They’ve shown a reasonable level of political acumen in taking advantage of a situation that fell in their laps when the Tories made a **** of the election.

taxi25

He’s not perfect by a long stretch but I do feel that he will be judged much more kindly by history than he is now.

Definitely, but politicians that served at high ministerial level always get offered knighthoods ect, not sure why it should be different for Clegg. Come the day of the revolution this honours thing will be in the bin anyway 😉

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

In 2010 his leadership was a major reason we got a stable government and managed to weather the financial crisis as well as we did.

Given that Gordi saved the whole world singlehandedly during the actual crisis, he must be more miffed than Bliar

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

If he’d still been in power we’d have been tied to the yoke of Europe forever. Or something. It’s Boxing Day, have another mince pie and sherry, walk the dogs or go for a bike ride.

bikebouy

Exactly, 49% of the population voted to stay in the EU.

Have a mince pie, or cake or ride your bike.

tjagain

He neither reigned the tories in or did any good at all. vile man who sold his political principles for a ministerial car.

They could have done a supply and confidence deal like the DUP and wouldn’t have had to do all the unpalatable things they ended up doing like selling off the post office

He deserves to be slated and I am sure history will.

Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

The DUP and “integrity” do not belong together in ANY world

Lying deceptive manipulative politicians of the worst kind – if they had any integrity they would be working to form a government for their own country rather than hanging on the coat tails of the lying deceptive manipulative politicians of the UK

rhys

To be honest it was the first sign that the electorate couldn’t be trusted to look beyond their own fat wallets. Great idea, shaft the lib dems who provided the moderation and vote for the self serving shites interested in only lining their own pockets and those of their friends. NHS, academies, pigs to the trough.

Sometimes you have to look a little deeper behind the scenes to see what’s really going on…

For starters, let’s not forget it was Leon Brittan who started Nick Clegg on his career ladder in politics.

Worth noting at this stage Clegg’s time at Cambridge:

The walls of the Union Society groaned with photographs of then Tory ministers in their younger days: Kenneth Clarke, Norman Lamont, Michael Howard and Nick Clegg’s sometime mentor Leon Brittan. Yet only one Cambridge Tory of my time has made it into parliament: Fulham MP Greg Hands, who is also credited for recruiting Nick Clegg into CUCA (although there is no evidence that Clegg ever attended a CUCA meeting)

So, Nick Clegg, Leon Brittan, Cambridge…

Remember our friend Nadhmi Auchi?

Close associate of Labour’s Keith Vaz, Tory Norman Lamont and Lib-Dem David Steel (who’s been implicated in child abuse at Dolphin Square)

I notice mention of the 2008 financial crash; BNP Paribas was the 1st domino that set the stack tumbling.

And who pray tell held among the largest investments in BNP Paribas?

Nadhmi Auchi of course, via General Mediterranean Holdings, which Keith Vaz, David Steel, and long time head of Le Cercle in Europe, Norman Lamont were all involved in.

One of the largest private shareholders in BNP Paribas, the French bank that holds more than $13 billion in Iraqi oil funds administered through the United Nation’s oil-for-food program, is an Iraqi-born businessman who once helped to arm Iraq in the 1980’s and brokered business deals with Saddam Hussein’s government, according to public records and interviews.

Mr. Auchi, who declined to be interviewed for this article, holds his stake in BNP Paribas through a Luxembourg concern he controls called General Mediterranean Holdings. As recently as 2001, General Mediterranean Holdings described itself in an annual report as one of largest single shareholders in BNP Paribas.

I’ll be back later with how all this relates to Clegg (and the knighthood)

P-Jay

I didn’t think much of him, I voted for him in 2010 only to find my vote ended up putting a CMD in No10 but… I’d have CMD back with Nick at his side in a heart beat over MayBot and the Brexteers, better the devil you know sometimes.

In fact I’d put CMD up with John Major on my list of decent Tories – it’s a list of two.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I’ll be back later with how all this relates to Clegg (and the knighthood)

I very much doubt that. You’ll be back later with more startling revelations that people attending the same college have met each other.

curto80

I don’t think many people at the time realised what a good job he did in controlling the destructive, vindictive insanity of the current Government. Amazing what the Tories have achieved in the last two and a half years in destroying the few good things that remained about the UK.

Don’t know what he’s done to deserve a knighthood but then the whole thing is a load of outdated nonsense anyway.

I’m off for a mince pie and to ride my bike.

Premier Icon enigmas
    Subscriber

None of the words I’d use to describe him would get past the swear filter..

I’m over £18,000 further in debt thanks to his decision to pretend his manifesto commitment to remove tuition fee’s didn’t exist and instead support the tories bid to triple them. No other name in politics riles me up more than that spineless lackey who betrayed his party’s principles for a spot in the cabinet.

While I used to support the lib dems, and tbh in the 2017 elections I agreed with a huge amount of their policies (1p per £1 tax to the NHS for example), there’s no way I’ll ever forgive them for providing me with a debt that I’ll likely never pay off into my 50’s. That decision, along with Corbyn, destroyed their position amongst younger voters.

who’s been implicated in child abuse at Dolphin Square

Bullshit.

In November 2014 the Metropolitan Police Service opened an inquiry under Operation Fairbank into allegations that prominent MPs used the block of flats as a venue for child abuse.[8] One alleged abuse survivor (later found to be fabricating all the allegations), named only as “Nick”, claimed that he was taken to Dolphin Square regularly as a young boy and abused by groups of men including politicians.[9] Exaro and the BBC News both carried interviews with Nick about the abuse he says he faced at Dolphin Square.[10][11]

The Metropolitan Police simultaneously launched a related murder inquiry under the name Operation Midland, in relation to Nick’s claims that he saw an MP strangle a child to death.[12][13] On 21 March 2016, the Metropolitan Police confirmed that Operation Midland had been closed without any charges being brought.[14]

Labour MP John Mann told the Daily Mail that he handed evidence of “abuse parties” to the police in 1998 but that the case was quickly shelved on the orders of “those at the top.”[15]

In 2016 it became clear that the allegations were in fact total fabrications by “Nick”, and the Met Police were strongly criticised for being seen to legitimise the claims.[16]

Yes, it’s only Wiki, but still. Makes you think…

big_n_daft

Worst type of career politician

Lazy, lies without conscience, full of himself, will be enjoying a publicly funded pension that others can only dream of

The honours system needs complete reform, it is one of the things that perpetuates the class system and the heirarchies of the establishment and their flunkies

who’s been implicated in child abuse at Dolphin Square

Bullshit.

So, when are you gonna tell us more about all the people you’ve met in the intelligence community then Flashy?

Surely you’d know that the allegations relating to David Steel were made long before Nick came on the scene.

But thankfully, after extensive police investigations we can rest assured that there was no organised Paedophilia involving the Paedophile Information Exchange, or active member Keith Harding, who would meet with Jimmy Savile, Cyril Smith and Leon Brittan among others.

And of course, Edward Heath’s involvement with the Paedophile Information Exchange adds no credence to organized networks…

All those times Savile, Smith and Janner and their chums were let off by the police was undoubtedly down to their charming personalities.

Well, wouldn’t want to be accused of straying off topic, so, back to Nick Clegg and his time as Lord President of the Privy Council…

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

hatter – Member

For this he had to give up his party’s purity of opposition, make difficult compromises and as a result he was utterly and predictably shafted.

Most definitely this – did his best for the country and paid the price?

Student loans? Show me any politician who hasn’t broken a pledge when in power. And it created a system – however shit, and of course, pioneered by the Labour government – where fewer people on lower incomes will have to pay it back.

If we had more pragmatic politicians rather than idealistic ones, we might not get **** over so often.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Nothing like getting a knighthood for just doing the job you are paid for ….
    Can we all have one?

Yes, if you can get someone to nominate you, you will be considered for it.

Premier Icon CHB
    Subscriber

Probably one of the best politicians in recent times. I was VERY angry with the whole coalition over student fees and still am, but if you look at the Tories since 2015 I really wish the LibDems were back in Government moderating their more rabid policies. Danny Alexander and a few others in the 2010-2015 period were pretty good too.

tjagain

Those of you are are apologists for him – could you please name one tory policy he stopped?

Once they went into full coalition and said they would be there for 5 years they gave away all power. No point did they stop one single thing – indeed they were forced to sell off the mail for half price.

They could have acted as a brake by doing ” supply and confidence”

Clegg was simply a tory in the wrong party.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

would have been better run had Clegg not struck such a grovelling deal with the conservatives.

Very much this. Charlie Kennedy said at the time that their support for the Tories should be limited to confidence and supply. How right he was.
    Unfortunately, Clegg looked at the ministerial car and the leather ran smooth on the passenger seat.

Premier Icon hatter
    Subscriber

People seem to have forgotten what a precarious state the country felt it was in in 2010 and how much it was felt that we needed a stable government to see through the financial crisis.

Whilst other Lib Dems were (rightfully) wary of coalition, Clegg felt that a confidence an supply arrangement would not deliver the government that the country wanted, the utter cluster coitus we’re currently being subjected to seems to have vindicated him somewhat.

As for what they actually achieved in coalition….

https://whatthehellhavethelibdemsdone.com/

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

People seem to have forgotten what a precarious state the country felt it was in in 2010 and how much it was felt that we needed a stable government to see through the financial crisis.

The financial crisis happened in 2007/8 and the corrective actions were already working. The coalition screwed it all up with a hideously counterproductive austerity drive, only to be forced into a partial reversal when it became clear that their policies weren’t effective.

tjagain

Hatter – all small stuff. Nothing to compare with enabling a destructive right wing government

Premier Icon hatter
    Subscriber

….which had just won an election .

If you think Cameron should never have been prime minister have a word with a people who voted for him.

I was not one of them.

Also I would hardly call getting equal marriage past the Tory back benches a ‘minor thing’

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Ah, the totally and utterly meaningless Honours bollocks. Really not worth gettng stressed about. Although this does seem to take it a whole new level of stupidity.

airtragic

Those of you are are apologists for him – could you please name one tory policy he stopped?

Read his book:

So, under Nick Clegg, in his role as Lord President of Her Majesty’s Privy Council:

Dr Julian Lewis was sworn in to the Privy Council…

Now, Julian Lewis has a long and murky role in dirty tricks, having been Brian Crozier’s key UK operative in ‘the 61’

(in a strange twist, Crozier and Lewis were 1st introduced by none other than Norris McWhirter, who played a surprising role in getting Thatcher elected in the 1st place)

Norris McWhirter winning our hearts and minds:

Norris McWhirter giving Farage a run for his money back in the day as regards immigrunts and the like with the NAFF (Freedom Association), after playing a role in setting up the Shield Committee, with Crozier:

Back to Julian Lewis:

In 1976, with secret funding from The Freedom Association, he posed as a Labour Party moderate and briefly won control of Newham North East Constituency Labour Party, in an eventually unsuccessful attempt to reverse the deselection of the sitting MP, Reg Prentice, and in order to highlight Militant Tendency entryism in the Labour Party. Prentice himself later joined the Conservatives.

But what does any of this have to do with David Steel, Keith Vaz, Norman Lamont, Child Abuse, Arms Deals and Le Cercle’s Nadhmi Auchi?

Or indeed Nick Clegg’s mentor; Leon Brittan

nick1962

Probably one of the best politicians in recent times. I was VERY angry with the whole coalition over student fees and still am, but if you look at the Tories since 2015 I really wish the LibDems were back in Government moderating their more rabid policies. Danny Alexander and a few others in the 2010-2015 period were pretty good too

You are Nick Clegg and I claim my £5.00!
    Electoral reform has been a cornerstone of the LibDem policy for generations and he was the first leader who was in a position to do something about it.He was well and truly played by the Tories like a rank political amateur.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.