Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 310 total)
  • Nick Clegg …hes playing them now!
  • BermBandit
    Free Member

So the politicians choose the government, not the people.

Lets get a few things straight.

1) Democracy implies majority rule. We have never had that in this country
    2) The first past the post system skews election results. Thats is the whole point of it.
    3) The politicians choose the system, not the people. Shockingly it suits the politicians just fine.
    4) The people chose not to elect a party as an outright winner, so yes, in fact they did choose to have this situation.
    5) It is now incumbent on the politicians to work with that decision.

I cannot believe the arrogance of wanting to ignore what the people of this country have said very firmly in this election. It is simply that they are not satisfied with any of the major parties and they want change. Not the same old, same old rapped up in slick PR as change.

stevomcd
    Free Member

'straight PR will never happen in the UK – one simple reason, the BNP – no party is willing to countenance being responsible for The Nazis having more seats than the SNP, the greens, Plaid Cymru, DUP or SLDP – Fifth biggest party, over half a million votes!'

That's one of the reasons we need PR, then when the BNP gets some seats it will force the major parties to deal with them by reclaiming voters rather than let them continue to be a continual thorn in everyones side as they are now.

I disagree with this line of argument. There are different types of PR and not all of them lead to a host of noisy minorities in parliament. For example, the Alternative Vote system used in the Scottish Parliament has not resulted in any BNP MSPs. In fact, the only parties represented in the Scottish Parliament are the SNP, Labour, Lib-Dems, Conservatives, Greens and 2 independents. No BNP, UKIP or whoever else.

Obviously that could just be because we're smarter up here… 😉

EDIT: Just checked, it's not actually AV in the Scottish System, it's "Plurality First Past the Post"… apparently…

grumm
    Free Member

Just watched that Alistair Campbell clip – he's a slimy **** but he's good!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigJohn

Labour is doing exactly what it should be doing right now.

In order to extract more centre left promises from the Tories, Nick Clegg needs to make Cameron think he could still gang up with the other parties.

Everybody knows Clegg hates Brown. Dumping Brown signals to the Tories that Lib/Lab might not be bluffing, so Cameron has to put a better deal on the table.

All Clegg needs to do is judge how far he can push Cameron, and shake hands at that point.

It'll all be done & dusted by 4pm today.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I never thought I'd say this but considering the results of the election, it's high time now for a devolved England. It's clear that the political desires of the various countries in the UK are at odds with each other and we should all be allowed to decide our own fate.

On the Clegg topic, I get the feeling this process won't be doing him or his party any good in the eyes of the electorate. To my mind, the LibDems are very much coming across as self-serving, despite the facade about doing the best thing for the country. Paddy Ashdown even stressed this morning that his priority in politics was "his party and his friends". No mention of the country whatsoever.

clubber
    Free Member

grum – Member
    Just watched that Alistair Campbell clip – he's a slimy **** but he's good!

He's brilliant. Just a shame he's not applying that to anything other more useful than just trying to keep a bunch of selfserving politicians looking good (ish). (NOTE – that's a comment on politicians in general, not specifically NuLab).

tron
    Free Member

I think the a ConLib coalition could work. If the Tories whipped well and got a few votes from the Lib Dems, they could get legislation through parliament fairly happily.

A LabLibOthers coalition would have to agree on everything, and make big concessions to minority parties. They'd not have a majority if they whipped everyone in their coalition, so they'd be relying on Tory votes to pass legislation. Given that they're likely to be forced into stupid things by the various Nationalist parties involved – cuts for England but not the rest of the UK, I can see that being very problematic for them.

Ultimately I think a LibLab coalition will create a strong public demand for electoral reform, but I'm not sure it'll be the gerrymandered UK wide PR that the LibLab bunch are hoping will keep the Tories out for all time. I think people will get seriously angry and start pushing for an English parliament, which if anything, would guarantee a series of Conservative governments.

The key thing is that this isn't a complicated issue – Scottish and Welsh MPs can vote for things that hurt English voters whilst protecting their own. That is a message that can be understood by the vast majority of people, very quickly, whereas PR is not.

yossarian
    Free Member

I'm getting the impression that a lib/lab pact is increasingly likely. I'm not convinced its the right outcome but I would welcome it just to see Cameron's press conference afterwards 🙂 🙂 🙂

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

I would welcome it just to see Cameron's press conference afterwards

Now that would be a Tory Sky News clip worth seeing

kimbers

poor rupert murdoch

hes gambled heavily on cameron being pm

not only does his news channel look even more ridiculous than normal

but his bluff of charging for the times website will be well and truly called when come june cameron hasnt been able to slash funding for the bbc and reduce the content on the bbc website

maxray
    Free Member

backhander, you are right.. I am sorry for being amused by a montage. As I said it shouldn't be funny, but it makes me laugh. It is the composition that amuses me, not the fact his plane crashed.

backhander
    Free Member

No worries max. I know nothing of UKIP, but I felt genuinely sorry for him when I saw the pics. which just looked like and older gent(?) obviously in a lot of pain and scared witless. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

clubber
    Free Member

but I would welcome it just to see Cameron's press conference afterwards

The thing is, as per Stephen Fry's blog, I don't think he will be upset as in many ways, it'd be the best thing for them. If LibLab happens then the Tories can take the position of having stuck to their principles while the LibLab have 'stolen' the election (and also using this as a reason to avoid PR). If as seems likely, a LibLab coalition doesn't last too long then the Tories will be in a very strong position for the next election and stand a good chance of an outright majority, particularly as we're in for bad times in the next year or so as cuts start to really bite…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

tron – Member
    A LabLibOthers coalition would have to agree on everything, and make big concessions to minority parties. They'd not have a majority if they whipped everyone in their coalition, so they'd be relying on Tory votes to pass legislation.

They would have a majority – labour, Lib dems, nationalists gives a majority No need for tory votes

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Except Thatcher – well many on here would support than anyway….

tron
    Free Member

They would have a majority – labour, Lib dems, nationalists gives a majority

Sorry, you're right. Labour + Liberals doesn't give a majority, so they are reliant on the nationalists. They're still in the position of having things dictated to them by the nationalists, and creating a demand for an English parliament.

trailmonkey

the longer this goes on the more i'm hoping for an ultimately unpopular minority con govt. forcing another election in the autumn with a strong, electable labour leader.

the only plus side of a lib/lab alliance would be electoral reform.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tron – It would be a bit of a shaky "broad church" tho

grumm
    Free Member

All the people crying about a potential Lib-Lab coalition – how come a Con-Lib coalition is considered acceptable?

The tories fail to win an outright majority so try and offer concessions to a party they are almost entirely opposed to in terms of policy in order to be able to form a government. Given that the Lib Dems came third why isn't David Cameron offering a Lab-Con coalition? 😉

uplink
    Free Member

Let the Tories have it – it's a poison chalice

clubber
    Free Member

a Lab-Con coalition

Now, THAT would be fun 🙂

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

Given that the Lib Dems came third why isn't David Cameron offering a Lab-Con coalition

far right plus far left – surely the outcome of any decisions made would be in the middle? So the "general population" will be happy? Only the right and left wing extremists, and the nutty parties will be dissapointed.

Sounds like a plan

🙂

uplink
    Free Member

far right plus far left

I'd say the LibDems are further left than Labour

El-bent
    Free Member

Fail to see why this is so hard to understand. Elections are NOT competitions, seriously. Get this out of your heads folks.

They are to the political idealists in all parties.

Junkyard
    Free Member

To my mind, the LibDems are very much coming across as self-serving, despite the facade about doing the best thing for the country

I am equally shocked to see a political party operating in it's best interests and adhering to its political views…what next
    I assume you think the best thing for the country is to support dave a she got most votes then? If only a democracy was that simple.

As for the BNP getting seats under PR it would occur.That is the unfortunate thing about a true democracy you cannot marginalise small parties as happens with FPTP. I suspect that no party would be in a hurry to form an alliance with I doubt the members could stomach it…. imagine a PM with Griffin in the cabinet as say foreign secretary or perhaps International aid? They would have seats but just be ignored IMHO.
    PR has issues but its strength is that every vote counts and I cannot really see how you can be opposed to that just becaus eyou dont like how some of the people vote

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It's these partisan political shenanigans that frustrate people. What about the poor bl00dy country?!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

PR has issues but its strength is that every vote counts and I cannot really see how you can be opposed to that just becaus eyou dont like how some of the people vote

Well you certainly wouldn't get the opportunity to vote out your unpopular MP (like Portillo, Jaqui Smith, Blears etc.) – they would be high up the list to get seats, you'd just dump the poor sacrificial lambs at the lower end of the list. And unless there is some complicated way, you'd lose that idea that an MP represents your area (however naive that is anyway…).

Maybe the populous would like to see 'cooperation' in action before they decide that PR is good.

yossarian
    Free Member

i know what you are saying clubber. But if a lib/lab coalition gets PR up and running the tories will be out of power for a generation because neither the libs or labs will do business with them and they will never get 50% plus of the vote.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

What about the poor bl00dy country?!

What about it?

What, in your day to day life, has suffered over the last few days? What do you think will really happen over the next few days if they take time to come to a decision?

I think everyone needs to get a bit of perspective.

5 Live is very entertaining at the moment as everyone tries to out-analyse each other about every nuance (mostly stories generated by the media) of the negotiations.

Great quote just now "this is the wisdom of crowds, everything seems to be working out quite well for the good of the people"

Personally I think it's great to see a few of our politicians in a different light for a change.

For example, Michael Gove, who up to now I've found quite repulsive, offering to give up his cabinet seat to a Lib Dem, but on the other hand Malcolm Rifkind, who I've never been that keen on, but who at least I thought sincere coming out with a quote about Mugabe style politics. Clearly the latest batch of Tories are a bit more reasonable than the old guard, but how much power do the old guard still have, and will they shut up and go away, or carry on doing their best to wreck their own party.

I suspect that whatever happens the Tories are going to go through another period of internal strife – they aren't united in any way.

molgrips
    Free Member

Whoever loses would be comforted by the fact that they might well be in next time. The fact that Lab want to stay in so much, and GB wants Lab to stay in so much he's prepared to resign suggests to me that they really really believe that the tories will shag the economy and they really really need to keep them out for the sake of the country.

Same vibe I picked up from the pre-election debates too.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

It may polarise the vote though – certainly people may think twice about voting Lib if they associate them with Labour all the time. There must be plenty of Libs that favour the Cons rather than the Labs.

And if Scotland get their way there's a big chunk of red gone too…..

breatheeasy
    Free Member

To be fair Molgrips, I'm sure the Cons feel the same about Labs staying in and shagging the country.

GB has been dead in the water for a while. Labour loses and he'd have to resign. Libs go for a lib lab coalition and he'd have to go. Still, I've not yet seen his definition of a stable government so he can resign, so he may cling on quite a while yet

thepurist

Michael Gove, who up to now I've found quite repulsive

That's my MP you're slandering there – please do a better job next time!

Interesting stat is that if you accept that the people who voted for the Libs are probably mostly left of centre & then split their preferences 1/3:2/3 for hooking up Con & Lab you end up with a Lab/Lib alliance having almost the same %age of the public vote as a Con/Lib – 36+23/3 = 43 2/3% for Con/Lib and 29+(23*2/3)=44 1/3% for Lab/Lib. Of course you can prove anything with stats & assumptions!

tron
    Free Member

And unless there is some complicated way, you'd lose that idea that an MP represents your area (however naive that is anyway…).

My MP certainly represents my area. His political views are about as far from mine as possible on a lot of things, but he works damned hard for his constituents.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Actually, just found another clip of Adam Boulton going off on one.

Boulton + Ben Bradshaw

I thought he was supposed to be an independent news reporter? It's not terribly difficult to see where his sympathies lie.

Personally I hope the negotiations go on a bit longer as eventually Boulton will explode, which could be quite a spectacle.

backhander
    Free Member

He has got a valid point though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

breatheay – you are correct PR can and does strenthen the party machine -I actually posted up on the probs with PR thread theat it's main problem was strenghtening the party via lists and reducing the constituency MP.
    However nothing you said actually challenged the principle of every vote counting being a fair and reasonable premise fon which to build an electoral system around .I accept PR is not perfect but it is fairer to the electorate than the current system.

grumm
    Free Member

He has got a valid point though.

Has he?

The tories didn't win the election. Seems some people are confusing getting more seats with winning the election. The tories do not have a mandate.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they have a simple majority – most seats – not an absolute majority. as both libs and lab are left of centre it us probably fair to say all sides have a claim and however it pans out it will appear unfair to one group who are not in the government
    In essence Labour lost the election but the Tories did not quite win it. Given hiw unpopular brown is, how fecked the economy is, the general feel fo change, the support of large swathes of the media and the targetted money of Ashcroft that is a pretty bad perfromance by them.

backhander
    Free Member

How many times? Tory did not win the election. Labour did not win the election. Libdems did not win the election. Considering people vote for ONE party, why on earth should the two less popular parties rule (without a majority)?
    That buffoon just stated that "combined we got 5million more than the tories". Does he know that "combined", con/lib got 9million more than labour? Bradshaws argument is shit by that fact alone.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 310 total)

The topic ‘Nick Clegg …hes playing them now!’ is closed to new replies.