Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Niche Shaving PSA
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Had a meeting in St James Sq this lunchtime so with a spare few minutes, popped into Taylors on Jermyn St for a nose around.

I already use Taylors bog standard shaving cream, but thought Id have a sniff of their other varieties: Avocado, lemon & lime, Almond, Lavender, Sandalwood and Rose.

Regular smells like soap
    Rose smells foul
    Lavendar is purple and too strong.
    Didnt try the others
    Sandalwood was very nice and understated. So got a pot of it to ring in the changes costs exactly the same as the stuff here http://www.shaving-shack.com/taylor-of-old-bond-st-shaving-cream/

So if you’re in the area, you can pop in for a sniff.
    Also enough badger hair brushes to give ol’brock the willies.
    Some things are just nice to smell & fell first.

Also got a pack of Merkur blades just to try some german bling. But eye wateringly expensive (10x cost more than 30x feathers)
    The only other brand they stock is “Fresh”.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Niche shaving?? Who shaves their niche? Which razor for that!??

bagpuss72
    Free Member

😯 Badger Hair Brushes…….?

Stoner
    Free Member

you should see the guy that has to do the shearing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve just restocked the bowl with Floris soap this time round. Very nice it is too.

Used to use Harris stuff from St James’s, just up the hill from the off licence. 😉

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I used to like watching my grandad shave with a proper brush and stuff when I was little didn’t think people still did, perhaps its just the men round here who don’t 😯

Stoner
    Free Member

that’ll be the off-licence with a lot of bread in the window. Wassthatallabouttheneh?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Also got a pack of Merkur blades just to try some german bling. But eye wateringly expensive (10x cost more than 30x feathers)

Oh dear 😕
    Are you going back there soon because I had a merkur blade that came with my razor and it was bleedin horrible. Used it once and chucked it. Feathers are the future.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    that’ll be the off-licence with a lot of bread in the window. Wassthatallabouttheneh?

Eh? Not been passed in a week or two, so haven’t seen it.

Stoner
    Free Member

mleh – twas only the price a of a couple of london pints. I’ll live even if I have to throw them. Ive still got a dozen israeli ones at home which I like.

pjt201
    Free Member

the avocado stuff is much nicer than the sandlewood and the lemon lime i’ve tried. Has a totally different texture, much more creamy and oily (but in a good way). So much so that i’m tempted if i run out just to brush on a load of mashed avocado…

Hohum
    Free Member

I have used Merkur blades twice.

The first time was when I was just starting so I blamed the results on my technique and the second time was last summer and it produced just as bad a shave again.

Of the blades I have tried recently I must admit that feathers are also top of my list and I am looking forward to trying one out in my Mergress razor this weekend 🙂

freddyg
    Free Member

the avocado stuff is much nicer than the sandlewood and the lemon lime i’ve tried

Hmmm.. I’m almost 2/3 of the way through a large pot of the Lemon and Lime stuff (very nice it is too). Might give the Avacado a punt if the Arko stick (recommended on another thread) isn’t to my liking. Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure when I’ll get to that London though. I went once…..

winston_dog
    Free Member

I have only tried the Merkur blades once and I thought was rubbish.
    As bad as the cheap Wilkinson Sword blades from Boots.
    I found the Derby blades much better but I tried a Feathers last night and is was the best by far.
    Tried some of the Taylors soap (from John Lewis) but can’t make my mind up if its any better than the Arko that came free with Deby blades on Ebay!
    Apparently, Almond Oil is an excellent (and cheap) pre-shave, will be trying that next.

epicyclo

Shaving?

Waste of good bike money.

chewkw
    Free Member

I was going to try Merkur blades a while back but luckily the price put me off 😆 . Actually the Merkur blades are not well received by the shaving community at all by comparison to their safety razors.

:mrgreen:

bigbloke
    Free Member

Currently using Arko soap with Derby blades but just bought some Gillette 7o clock blades to give them a go as i’m new to this niche shaving lark.

chewkw
    Free Member

Gillette 7 O’Clock is amongst my favourite especially the yellow pack.

🙂

epicyclo – Member

Shaving? Waste of good bike money.

LOL! Yes, if you buy those plastic celebrities endorsed rubbish …

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Chaps. I feel the need to embark on a a more traditional approach to shaving and am about to click ‘add to basket’, but a question. How do you dispose of the blades once they have come to teh end of their useful life?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Back into the little plastic thing they come in (some have a bit on the bottom especially for that).
    Alternatively, put them in a wee metal box (tobacco tin?) and bin it when full.

nickf
    Free Member

Dispose of them by sliding them into the bottom of the dispenser. You certainly don’t want old razor blades littering your rubbish bin.

Oh, and Feathers for me too, changed after around 4 shaves. Inexpensive and a really good shave when on position 5 (Merkur Progress)

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well, everything arrived promptly and I’ve been trying different blades for the last week. So far all is well and I haven’t had any bloodbaths yet. Gillette 7 day seems to work best for me so far, but got some others to try as well.

As far as the actual shaving process goes, I’ve found it fine. Yes it takes a little longer, but it’s quite theraputic and no irritation afterwards.

I’m hooked now!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Gillette Yellows or Feather for me as well.

You can dispose of the Feathers in the back of the plastic thingy, but the Gillettes don’t come in one. I just put the old blades back in one of the wrappers. Once you’ve got 4 or 5 blades in a wrapper, just throw in the bin.

freddyg
    Free Member

Another option I heard of was to use a can of soup (non-ring pull variety).

Put two holes in the can to allow the soup to be extracted.
    Wash the can out.
    Cut a thin slot in the lid.
    Insert used blades.
    Recycle when full.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Am I alone in liking merkur blades? Stupefyingly sharp, took a week before they ven felt ‘normal’!

Couldn’t stand gillette 7o’clock. Got loads in a selection box, only problem is I can’t rmember what half of them are/were and keeping them in the bathroom seems to be reulting in dull blades as they all seem to be worse than the last box as I work through them.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Am I alone in liking merkur blades?

Quite possibly! I only gave the the one try and didn’t like the feel – maybe they get better after the first shave like Feather seem to.

Everybody has their own favourite though so if you like then good for you.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Niche Shaving PSA’ is closed to new replies.