Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Nicest steel ride?
  • bootsy

@dorset_knob

Check out the NS Bikes Eccentric! I love mine and it def has a great steel feel. Used to have an El Mariachi which I also loved, very compliant but I had a lot of seat post showing so that is where much of the flex/comfort came from. We all tend to run droppers now (which we don’t want to flex and bind) so are getting a much more rigid feel from our steelys. Had an Orange P7 29 once which I found unforgiving, heavy and dead feeling – the only way I could ride it was with plus wheels and tyres. The Eccentric has much better quality Tange butted tubes and the ride is the polar opposite of the Orange.

lambrettagp

Just spent a long day riding my rigid kona explosif. It was loads of fun but hard hard work and was wishing I had my new Orange P7 29 which I am finding is a fantastic ride. Having bigger wheels, more modern geometry, wider bars would have been way preferable. My nostalgia for the old bike collided with the physical realities of a very rocky ride that the new bike would have eaten for breakfast.

jabbi
    Free Member

I have a mild Tange addiction, it stems from my 93 Orange Prestige. Also have a 94 Kona Explosif and a 2011 Charge skinny Duster. All have that steel zing, especially the Orange with its Ultralite tubeset. Also own an NS Eccentric as mentioned above, I absolutely love it. It definitely doesn’t have the same zing as the older frames but then there is 800g more metal in the bare frame so it kinda makes sense it’ll be stronger and a lot stiffer.
    Having said that, the most steel feeling bike I have is (as per Ton up there somewhere) a 96 Bontrager Privateer, that is a really special bike to ride, I can’t quite put my finger on why! I’d love to try a Bonty Racelite, the thinner walled tubing should give it even more zing!

chakaping
    Free Member

Ah, when this label was the pinnacle of MTB aspiration…

Had three main tubes of it on my 1992 Kili Flyer, which is kind-of the same approach Cotic take now with the 853 I believe.

bluesmartie
    Free Member

I’m hearing really great things about the MASON ISO which is Steel

https://masoncycles.cc/products/insearchof-force1x

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ah, when this label was the pinnacle of MTB aspiration…

Hold my beer…

jabbi
    Free Member

@chakaping and @Malvern Rider, both of those decals still mean something to me for some inexplicable reason and yes I do own a bike with each!

trumpton
    Free Member

My retro Sunn has double butted Tange tubes. Rides really well.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve either never heard of Ultimate or forgot it existed.

Seems they used it on the earlier version of my old Team Marin, so perhaps similar to the Fuji tubing on that.

Seems to all be Reynolds tubing now. Is it just that they are able to supply better?

trumpton
    Free Member

some of the Sunns from year 1999 had Fuji tubing too. Think they were the lesser models though.

jabbi
    Free Member

There was Prestige, Prestige Ultimate Superlight, Prestige Ultimate Ultralite and Prestige Ultimate Ultrastrong, different wall thickness’ and butt lengths depending on the tube, some of it had wall thickness’ of 0.5mm! Ultrastrong was ribbed length ways and was used for downtubes. I have no idea how the Fuji tubing compares.

trumpton
    Free Member

top end Sunns of 1999 had Columbus tubing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anything half decent and not CEN.

You do all know that the flex characteristics of steel are the same, fancy stuff only gets stronger (not stiffer) enabling it to be made lighter?

Back in the day Columbus, Tange and True Temper were big names, not sure why Reynolds seems to have it sewn up, in the UK at least.

I spec’d my Shand with Columbus Life, it’s 1.8kg iirc, rides light.

Lightest steel frame I’ve ridden was a 1.6kg road Dedacciai, Salsa claimed 1.35kg for one of theirs which I don’t believe.

LAT

Had three main tubes of it on my 1992 Kili Flyer, which is kind-of the same approach Cotic take now with the 853 I believe.

I don’t think 853 seat or chain stays are available. If my memory is correct.

scruff
    Free Member

I’m sure my Sunn Revolt 2 was Columbus. Very nice bike but too XC even in the 90s.
    Edit. No sorry it was Fuji SL.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Ritchey Logic tubing on the Metal Guru, made be range I believe. Fat chance were doing some nth degree stuff bitd, I want to say quad butted but can’t remember, one of the first to Tig weld too.

avdave2

I don’t think 853 seat or chain stays are available. If my memory is correct.

They certainly didn’t used to be, I have an 853 main tubes 725 seat & chainstays on one of my bikes which is around 12 years old. I thought I’d heard that you could now get 853 seat and chainstays but I might have imagined that.

I know my White Spider was a mix of Columbus tubing but I can’t recall exactly what after 30 years

chiefgrooveguru

“You do all know that the flex characteristics of steel are the same, fancy stuff only gets stronger (not stiffer) enabling it to be made lighter?“

Yes, there’s almost no difference in Young’s modulus between all different steels – but if a steel is stronger which allows you to thin the tube walls, thus making it lighter, then the reduced wall thickness also reduces the stiffness of the tube.

A builder can then choose to add stiffness back by increasing the tube diameter. Basically the fancy steels allow you to tweak the stiffness much more than with cheaper steels, without the weight going through the roof.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep I thought we’d all been around long enough to realise that, but Al can’t help himself with the patronising, eh?

milfordvet
    Free Member

I had an early rigid Spesh Stumpjumper (1988) which was Tange Prestige. Felt like it had a zip and a bounce, but so did I back then.

faustus

I always loved the feel of my Rock Lobster 853, which was of course pre-CEN and the feel was mainly flex.

I did briefly have a Kona Deluxe road bike with Deddaciai EOM tubing and carbon rear end, and that rode really nicely. Probably should have kept it but was lured by an Arkose (which has been brilliant though more workmanlike).

I’ve now got a Town Crier 29 frame, and even though it is post-CEN it has a very nice feel as it’s built to be an XC style bike, not quite old style lively like the RL, but very enjoyable. Shows it’s partly down to the build and modern tastes (it’s not very modern in that sense). The Town Crier doesn’t have many gussets and no big tubes, and the butting profiles are apparently very similar to 853 but it is ‘only’ cro-mo and not air-hardened like 853.

fasthaggis

I had an early rigid Spesh Stumpjumper (1988) which was Tange Prestige. Felt like it had a zip and a bounce, but so did I back then.

Yeah,lots of that^^ 🙂
    The only steel bike I raced at a decent level was my (rigid)Explosif Pro .I loved that bike and keep thinking I would like to ride one again sometime..>puts rose tinted specs back on< 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Nicest steel ride?’ is closed to new replies.