Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • ‘Nice’ track pumps
  • nixie

It’s BD time for me and the only present idea I can come up with is a new track pump. I’ve always wanted one with a nice wooden handle, can anyone recommend one? I’ve used a fabric stratosphere pro which seemed nice but not found any comparisons between it and other makes (it certainly seemed better than my old budget bonty one).

honourablegeorge

Been really pleased with my Lezyne.

simondbarnes

Silca Pista

andylc
    Free Member

It’s worth considering getting one with a high pressure air tank thingy in if you run tubeless. I’ve found this very useful for seating tubeless tyres without needing to resort to a compressor.

nixie

I’ve a seperate tank already that works really well so happy with just pump.

That Silva looks nice.

Which Lezyne HG?

ratherbeintobago

Pista Plus is even better as it’s got a more stable base.

TiRed

Got to be a Rennkommpressor. Silca are also lovely and I lost mine in a move. The Renn is nicer to use. You can buy an anniversary version if you must.

jk1980
    Free Member

I’ve got the Joe Blow large pump, think it’s the Booster. Brilliant, great for general use and great for inflating tubeless.

I’ve also got a reasonably expensive Leyzne one which does in fact have a wooden handle. Would never buy one again though due to screw on valve head which is an absolute pain. Plus the gauge failed.

nixie

Pista plus is out of budget I think. Going to avoid Lezyne as I’ve mixed experience of their products (they seem to like designing nice stuff but just switch off for the last 5 minutes and compromise them).

Rennkompressor also looks decent.

ajaj
    Free Member

We have the Lezyne with the built in air tank (Pressure Overdrive). It was fine until the pressure gauge failed after 6 months. The warranty replacement has a different, screw on, head which means that it unscrews valve cores and the act of tightening it risks breaking the seal where the valve stem passes through the rim.

TiRed

I also use a tank for tubeless. My Topeal Joe Blow blew the internal valve at less than an indicated 160 psi. Hence I bought the Renn. I swapped the head for a Topeak smart head. It is absolutely brilliant.

My old Silca was nice but the chuck always annoyed me. They’ve improved it on the new one, but I’m not seeing a product that’s worth 3x more.

sirromj

‘Nice’ for me was the Lezyne Classic Over Drive. Have been seating tubeless tyres with it easily (maxxis/onza tyres & spank/wtb rims).

guandax
    Free Member

My Lezyne failed quite quickly. Plastic window on gauge would pop off at high speed. Binned it and got a cheap joe blow.

joebristol

Contrary to the above I like my Lezyne pump with the screw on abs head. Much easier than the ones with the lever you have to pull up on as you push the head into the valve. I had a Joe Blow 2 before that and the top insert into the body failed.

As long as your valve cores are tight and you don’t go madly tightening the abs head onto them (doesn’t need to be that tight to get a seal) it’s fine.

I use mine with a separate airshot for tubeless and very happy with that combo. I tried a cheaper tubeless pump with included tank (airwave CRC thing) and it last 18 months before something inside the pump failed in a big way.

MoreCashThanDash

Was only looking to see how long it was before the Lezyne haterz came out.

The second time a Lezyne pump unscrews a valve core, it’s probably not the fault of the pump

howarthp

I’ve got the Silca Superpista Ultimate with the Hiro chuck. Best pump I’ve used. It replaced a Lezyne with the screw on chuck which was ok

darkroomtim
    Free Member

My god that Silca Superpista Ultimate is a work of art…jeez … wish I hadn’t googled it looking at the price…must resist…must resist…

ratherbeintobago

The Superpista is awesome but also far beyond my budget.

bearGrease

I’m disappointed, I misread the title as “nice pump tracks”.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I’ve got a Silca.

Because, <lost count of how many> many moons ago, I went in to my LBS and asked the mechanic what pump I should get, and jesus this page is so slow to respond to typing I’m giving up sorry

JoB
    Free Member

Premier Icon
    MoreCashThanDash

Subscriber
    Was only looking to see how long it was before the Lezyne haterz came out.

The second time a Lezyne pump unscrews a valve core, it’s probably not the fault of the pump

the fact that no other pumps are famous for doing this means it’s probably not the fault of the owner, and Lezyne mini-pumps now come with an integral valve-core tightening tool 😉

another vote for Silca

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve now got three nice pumps (!)

Silca Pista that’s over 20 years old and spent a lot of time in an shed. Refurbed with new leather plunger, gauge and has a SKS head on it, massively regret showing away the original valve head shortly after I bought the thing. Best pumping action.

SKS Rennkompressor with MV head and the stock gauge replaced with a £5 Wrekin 60psi max gauge so it’s accurate at mtb tyre pressures (but is not use for road bikes or tubeless inflators). That lives in the car.

Leyzyne Alloy floor drive with the screw on head. Only one that stands up by itself (annoying with both the others), worst pumping action, a bit too short (though maybe only because I clocked they make a taller one) but I like the valve head.

Silca Pista Plus looks good but it’s the cost of three Rennkompressors!

nixie

Leaning towards the rennkompressor at the moment. The key negatives seems to be around the gauge which I’m not fussed about as I use a seperate gauge anyway. Love the fact it can be rebuilt. Other than better stability I can see any old points of spending the considerable higher cost of the silica models (nice as they look).

BadlyWiredDog

I have a Rennkompressor and while it’s ‘iconic’ or whatever and works fine – after I swapped the head for a Topeak one – I wouldn’t classify it as particularly special or nice to use. It’s just functional and sturdy.

Fwiw, I’m really liking my Fabric Accubar gauge thing and notice that Fabric does a nice-looking pump called the Stratosphere Pro. I have no idea how well it works, but it looks ‘nice’:

Stratosphere Pro

nixie

That fabric is where I started. Have used one a single time to pump my tubeless tank up. It was what made me realise my current pump is crap and seemed nice to use. But I haven’t seen any longer term reviews and TBH I like the idea of being able to rebuild forever (which SKS and silca seem to offer).

BadlyWiredDog

Fair enough. The Rennkompressor does the job in a low-key effective sort of way. The top-end Silca stuff seems very expensive, but nice if you can afford it.

mav12
    Free Member

i have a lezyne with the wooden handle its crap, the screw on head never works properly the gauge was innacurate , and the check valve failed when i was was pumping a air tank up , handle shot up like a missile just grazed the side of my face, have a joe blow now its 10 times better

robcolliver
    Free Member

Done several ‘nice’ ones and now have a cheap unbranded special from Ebay. I also now have a Topeak Smarthead guage (from Evans as they were brilliant and demo’d it in the shop with me) as every guage on a track pump has been quite vague….. I can now dial in 4 psi on the fatbike or 24 psi on the Tallboy and know its consistent.

nixie

I’ve also got one of those Topeak Smarthead gauges. Going to tour the local shops at lunch to see what I can get hands on (not much I suspect) then get one ordered.

FB-ATB

Judging by the price of the Silca pumps, are they intended to be used with the Peloton bikes?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Lezyne HP track pump here with a Hirame chuck on it in place of the standard chuck.
    Has been working fine for some years. Think about a decade ish.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

every guage on a track pump has been quite vague….. I can now dial in 4 psi on the fatbike or 24 psi on the Tallboy and know its consistent.

I really would recommend changing the gauge on a track pump for easy/accurate inflation. Guages are accurate around the middle of their range so the standard 200psi gauges are intended to be accurate at road bike pressures of 80-100psi.

Put a 40 or 60psi guage on and it will be accurate at mtb pressures and being at the end of a hose are much less likely than a separate gauge to get dunked up with tyre jizz . I don’t trust my Topeak gauge at low pressures either for the same reason.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘‘Nice’ track pumps’ is closed to new replies.