Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Nice road-ish loop between French Channel ports, do-able in a weekend?
  • StefMcDef
    Free Member

Thought I’d consult the STW hive mind about this one. I’ve been tasked by my group of regular riding buddies with finding out about a weekend’s road/Sustrans/Routes Vertes(?) type of riding across the Channel in Normandy.

We live on the Isle of Wight so Portsmouth is easily accessible – we were thinking about getting an overnight crossing on Friday, arriving Saturday, doing a loop or a there-and-back of over Saturday and Sunday, and getting a late Sunday night sailing back to Pompey.

I found this circular route from Caen on the Brittany Ferries website and was thinking about joining it at Le Havre and doing it anti-clockwise over a weekend towards Caen, since ferry timetables at this time of year mean you can’t just sail in and out of Caen.Was hoping to take in a bit of “Suisse Normande” scenery and maybe some WWII historical sites en route.

Has anyone ever done this route or anything similar? Any highlights you’d recommend? Any do’s and don’ts? Any recommendations for an overnight stop? I’ve only ever bombed through this bit of France in the car on the way to the more interesting bits of it previously, and then bombed back through it with a ferry to catch.

Thanks in advance for any advice, GPXs etc that you can offer.

Eddiethegent

I did something similar with three friends from work last June.

We got the overnight ferry to Le Havre and then followed the Seine inland for about 20 miles before heading south-west to Lisieux. An easy 60 miles. It’s a bit flat and industrial in that part of France but once you’re out of Le Havre itself there isn’t much traffic on the roads. We stayed in Le Grand Hotel de L’Esperance in the centre of Lisieux. Compared to the B&Bs that we usually stay in it was quite fancy but it actually wasn’t too expensive. They also have a secure covered car park with a locked area for the bikes.

The second day was from Lisieux to St Lo. Probably 80 miles. Quiet roads again but much more rural and rolling countryside. Reminded me of Salisbury Plain but without the tanks. We stayed in the Hotel Mercurie – St Lo Centre. A typical chain hotel but cheap, centrally located and with a dedicated bike storage room.

On the third day we headed north from St Lo to join the coast road near Omaha Beach. We followed this to the ferry terminal at Ouistreham stopping at the American Cemetary, the Mulberry Harbour and Pegasus Bridge. Maybe 70 miles all in.

All in this was three days of fairly gentle riding but it could easily be done in two, particularly if you forget following the Seine on the first day and just head south towards Lisieux. No problems with the traffic or French drivers and the road surfaces were good even on small rural roads. One small issue, outside of the main towns this part of France seems to be pretty sparsely populated. A lot of villages seemed to be deserted which made it harder to find somewhere to eat for lunch. Apart from that, Tres Bon!

Dickyboy

We did this a few years back:- overnight ferry to St Malo outbound & then fast cat ferry from Caen, lovely ride in between 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Nice road-ish loop between French Channel ports, do-able in a weekend?’ is closed to new replies.