Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Nice foodie pub/hotel max 2hrs from Huddersfield
  • frankconway

An ex boss of mine lives in Cartmel, knows Simon Rogan – and gets mates’ rates!

jet26
    Free Member

L’enclume is excellent, although was spendy enough before covid and three stars.

Yorebridge House in Yorkshire Dales very nice and walking from the door. Really lovely place.

Brimstone In lakes meant to be v good, not been but a cycling buddy goes quite a bit.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I might go to Wimpy instead

Nah, if you’re in Huddersfield then the only option is Marstons Chicken Shop 🤣

slackboy

Don’t think the forest side in Grasmere has been mentioned yet. Lovely place, great rooms and brilliant food.

That only downside is that it’s 8 course tasting menu only on a Saturday night (which is why I go on a Friday) 😅

frankconway

OP doesn’t want a tasting menu.

tomhoward

Nah, if you’re in Huddersfield then the only option is Marstons Chicken Shop

/thread.

ElShalimo

It’s too close to smelly Cooper Bridge

ElShalimo

Update: thanks for the help.

I found a nice hotel in Ireby, near Bassenthwaite. The owners were really nice, very welcoming and we were the only guests on Sat evening. The 3 course meal on Sat was great. Basically they ask you what you don’t like and then create a dinner plan based around avoiding things you don’t eat. We found it really good as we didn’t have to worry about food after a day on the hills and it was lovely surprise. They’ve got some great wines, local beers and a very good bar too.

I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a nice place to stay in a lovely hamlet with easy access to the fells and great local road cycling. It’s not far from Whinlatter either.

Welcome

BillMC

Eat at Shibden Mill, visit Shibden Hall, stay in Halifax and go on the lash in it’s outstanding alehouses. Great Joy.

ElShalimo

The whole point of a weekend away is that it’s away from where you live !

🤦‍♂️

BillMC

Really? We sometimes have weekends (15 miles) away.

ElShalimo

Really? Truly? 🙃

I reckon anywhere you can easily/cheaply get a taxi home from isn’t really “away”. It’s local.

For us, part of being away is looking at different landscapes be they mountains, lakes, beaches, cities, etc. etc.  Although we live in a nice part of West Yorkshire, the landscape is Pennine moorland for many, many miles. Going away gives you something different.  We’re 5 miles from Halifax and Hudds so Shibden, although very nice, doesn’t meet the brief.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.