Nice cup of tea?

Home Forum Chat Forum Nice cup of tea?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Nice cup of tea?
  • unfitgeezer

I drink tea. Just made a cup of coffee*

How in the world do you drink that shit?

*once a year, for no other reason just to remind myself that it is the world’s worst beverage.

Tea is for hangovers and washing down fryups.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

far too late in the day to be drinking either you weirdos.

*slurps at G&T*

06awjudd

I bet it was because you put the milk in before the sugar.
    Try it the other round, it’s a different beast. 😉

IanMunro

Coffee’s just for people who have trouble with subtle complexity of leaves.
    In simple terms if coffee were a band you’d be drinking one-direction.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Hold the cup or mug to your lips, tip it up towards the mouth and the liquid goes in. Drinking. It’s very simple.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Coffee is fine, if you’re from the European mainland or the Americas.

If not, it is merely an affectation, a rejection of your birthright and an indication of moral turpitude.
    Have a cold bath, make an appointment with your doctor and pray it’s not too late.

And stay away from my daughters.

brakes

tea is like a session ale, a nice pint of best
    coffee is a strong porter, puts hairs on your chest

IanMunro

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELH0ivexKA[/video]

wobbliscott

Probably because you’ve never had a decent brew. I drink coffee too but I much prefer tea. I never get home after a crappy day at work or a trip away from home and look forward to a cup of coffee. But I’m fussy about the way it’s made and in my experience the majority of people make crap tea. The rules I work to are:-
    1, buy quality tea bags. Loose leaf is better, but life is too short. Decent quality tea bags can make a very good brew. Cheap tea bags are crap. – you’re wasting your time, drink coffee instead.
    2. Heat is the key for flavour. It’s important to pour the water onto the tea bag while its still bubbling on the boil. I’ll hang by the kettle and as soon as the kettle clicks off I’ll pour it. DON’T put milk in first. This cools the water and you won’t extract the best flavour.
    3. Brew the tea, not too long, maybe 1 mins to 1.5 mins depending upon the tea. If you’re at work and have one of those water heaters rather than a kettle then I pre-heat the mug first to get an acceptable brew.
    4. DON’T squeeze the tea bag against the side of the cup. This releases a bitter acid flavour like tannin in wine. Lift the tea bag out, let it drain then chuck it away. Never re use a tea bag.
    5. Add milk but not too much. Milky tea is rank, what’s the point of extracting flavour only to dilute it, just a splash or two.
    6. Sit back and enjoy!

IanM, well put, sir!

cyclebiker

Wobbliscott, I do believe that you have clobbered the nail on its head.
    Mrs cyclebiker put the milk in first once…I had to have stern words while making it myself with descriptive yet required instructions, terrible.

bikebouy

Tea shops, the new coffee shops here in that Lunnjon.

wobbliscott

Should be taught at school I think. It’s one of those cornerstones of our culture, like proper beer and decent fish and chips – which is coming harder to come by these days.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Marmite on toast. Heaven
    Washed down with a cup of tea. Perfection.
    There’s no way a coffee goes with marmite.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

A little experiment:

1. Make two cups of tea, one with the milk in first, one with the milk in last.

2. Taste both, noting the difference:
    Milk first tastes smoother and is bland.
    Milk last tastes better – a more complex drink fit for adults, not some pale emulsion fit only for infants.

3. Allow the drink made with milk in last to cool, then reheat in the microwave.
    It will now taste the same as if you had put the milk in first.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

If not, it is merely an affectation, a rejection of your birthright and an indication of moral turpitude.
    Have a cold bath, make an appointment with your doctor and pray it’s not too late.

god, I’m actually slightly ashamed of myself…* 😆

*I would agree with you, but it tastes so…tea-ish.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Milk in your tea? Tsk, uncultured yokels….
    Tea should be enjoyed black, not diluted with cow feed…
    Squeeze the bag? Unforgivable! The bag acts as a filter, retaining impurities. Boiling water, short brew, NO SQUEEZE….perfect. 🙂

joolsburger

Tea with milk, what is this the bloody stone age?

I swear I can hear Land of hope and glory playing in the background…

I do drink mainly coffee, but if forced to choose only one for the rest of my life, it would have to be tea. I’m British by god.

P.S. leave bag in- gets stronger as you go down the mug. yum.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

I drink coffee. Just made a cup of tea*

*once a year, for no other reason just to remind myself that it is the world’s worst beverage.

Premier Icon benji
    Subscriber

Nevermind all that it’s cocoa time, so that’s good night from me zzzzz

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I like tea. I like coffee.

It’s far easier to make a shit cup of tea than a shit cup of coffee. (Which is why I started drinking coffee in the first place.)

The whole ‘milk in first’ thing relates to bone china teacups and teapots. It’s at best irrelevant when you’ve got a mug and a teabag. What Wobbliscott said is largely correct (though I’d dispute the loose-leaf comment).

Sugar in tea is evil (assuming the English norm of black tea with milk).

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

The mug has to be bone china for best results.
    When we go for a meal I will have a beer with my starter but when my main course comes it has to be tea.
    There isn’t a meal that tea doesn’t taste great with.

Dangerboy

Tea is fantastic, to be enjoyed in volume.
    The dangerhousehold has been enjoying punjana (? An irish brand!) of late, cheap as chips from morissons and loads better than yorkshire. Yum.

twoniner

Probably because you’ve never had a decent brew. I drink coffee too but I much prefer tea. I never get home after a crappy day at work or a trip away from home and look forward to a cup of coffee. But I’m fussy about the way it’s made and in my experience the majority of people make crap tea. The rules I work to are:-
    1, buy quality tea bags. Loose leaf is better, but life is too short. Decent quality tea bags can make a very good brew. Cheap tea bags are crap. – you’re wasting your time, drink coffee instead.
    2. Heat is the key for flavour. It’s important to pour the water onto the tea bag while its still bubbling on the boil. I’ll hang by the kettle and as soon as the kettle clicks off I’ll pour it. DON’T put milk in first. This cools the water and you won’t extract the best flavour.
    3. Brew the tea, not too long, maybe 1 mins to 1.5 mins depending upon the tea. If you’re at work and have one of those water heaters rather than a kettle then I pre-heat the mug first to get an acceptable brew.
    4. DON’T squeeze the tea bag against the side of the cup. This releases a bitter acid flavour like tannin in wine. Lift the tea bag out, let it drain then chuck it away. Never re use a tea bag.
    5. Add milk but not too much. Milky tea is rank, what’s the point of extracting flavour only to dilute it, just a splash or two.
    6. Sit back and enjoy!

Nuff said, well done that man although I would have to throw a china cup in there for the ultimate taste, mugs are no good for tea.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

cocoa

ewww
    less worse than ovaltine though

Tea needs to be real proper tea, like Assam or something. And not Earl Grey. That’s just weird.

iolo

Teabag in the cup? Are you mad?
    Use a teapot. 3 minutes minimum. Colour is not flavour.
    Milk in first to protect the china.
    Sup it like a fine wine.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I bet the OP drinks instant coffee too. Lost cause

Tea in a pot.
    Tetleys, typhoo, yorkshire, pg are not tea just floor sweepings in a bag.

If you must use tea bags get something with some proper tea in them.

Use a pot,

Use a teapot. 3 minutes minimum[b]the right time for the tea[/b]. Colour is not flavour.

warm it, put the required amount of leaves in. Use the correct temperature of water for the type of tea – there are many types of tea all need brewed differently. A tea ball or infuser can be used to get the leaves in the water for the right amount of time.

Milk or no milk, depends on the tea and your mood, some are absolute no’s some are personal preference.

Tea is a complex beast which needs treating with respect. Same as coffee needs to be made properly.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Pick the tea you like too

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Clipper tea.

rogerthecat

Sipping black Lapsang as I read this, get experimental with tea, loads of subtle flavour variations if you drink it without milk or sugar and use loose leaf tea.
    Is there a, correlation between preferring tea/coffee and that of dogs/cats?

Premier Icon manton69
    Subscriber

All you need to know about what tea means to some people. Not work safe because it is a bit sweary.

Doc Brown : Tea rap.

jonah tonto

if im working at someone’s house and they offer me a brew, i always go for coffee.
    a crap cup of tea is terrible but a crap cup of coffee is manageable.

at home though its good espresso in the morning with a dash of milk. then good cups of tea until it’s beer o’clock. anyone bringing ‘freeze dried’ stuff into my house is asked to leave.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Use a pot

Use the door blud…
    Teapots are for stewing…Might as well drink gravy.
    Folks who drink tea black(how it should always be) normally shun a pot, as it stews the delicate flavours.
    🙂

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Subscriber

If you live dahn sarf, you get crap tea regardless because the water’s s?t?u?p?i?d? too soft.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Teapots are for stewing…Might as well drink gravy.
    Folks who drink tea black(how it should always be) normally shun a pot, as it stews the delicate flavours.

Then remove the tea leaves using the handy infuser/tea ball/basket
    http://t2tea.com/teaware/accessories/general/?start=9

Houns

Coffee is vile, an insult to the taste buds. But it’s obviously become fashionable over the last few years to ponce around in a generic coffee shop spending £2+ on something that tastes like the stuff you chip off the bottom of the pan after you’ve burnt some baked beans. Most people don’t even like the taste of it so have to disguise it with various offerings of milk, sugar, syrups, chocolate shavings etc, but as long as they can be seen supping from their cup that’s all that matters

Me? Give me a mug of good old Yorkshire Tea, add milk. Bosh™ Perfect

unovolo

Nowt wrong with a Skinnymachilatteespressocaramelfrappechino with squirty cream and marshmallows on top.

Personally I cannot stand the stuff(tea) and will only drink it under duress,but then I like Rootbeer must have been a Yank in a former life.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Nice cup of tea?’ is closed to new replies.