Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Nice commute?
  • ton

mine was cold.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qNezLz]cidImage_FOTE166.JPG[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

Gary_M
    Free Member

Didn’t ride today but last night was a bit mental, snow, ice and very strong winds going across the moor. It was bloody hard work but still good.

everyone
    Free Member

Aye it was good fun. My road was a bit sketchy on the road bike but the rest was fine, just a bit cold.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

toasty warm on the train. 🙂
    Only got back from last night’s ride at 12:30am, so didn’t fancy riding to work too.

gonzy
    Free Member

mine was cold.

so was mine… 🙁

toby1

Barely noticed the cold as I was having to work so damn hard against the wind, has there been a non-windy commuting day yet this month, if there has I haven’t noticed it. Also, didn’t leave till gone 8.30 so the sun was a bit more up than it was for you ton.

Gary_M
    Free Member

has there been a non-windy commuting day yet this month

Monday/Tuesday last week weren’t too bad, still windy but that’s not unusual on my commute. Very seldom I don’t have a bastard headwind on my ride home in winter.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

it was ‘fresh’, dry and fresh… until I passed a herd of smelly dear.

TPTcruiser

A light dusting of soft snow here in Sheffield. Some sort of issue for cars on the Parkway meant overspill on other routes. Low sun and route adaptation seemed to make the drivers a bit dozy.
    Got a “my bad” from a Land Rover Defender driver for his silly pull out on me, spent the rest of the journey mulling over the legal binding nature of my bad versus sorry. [Defenders have electric windows!]

scaled
    Free Member

I woke up this morning with a storming hangover, looked out the window at the hard frost and ice and went back to be for another hour.

There were still a few sketchy bits on the ride in with ice patches but I really appreciate working at a place that not only takes me out and gets me fed, pissed up and bowling but then is cool with me rocking in 45 mins late because of frost.

In summary: feeling rough but feeling good 😀

RobHilton
    Free Member

Binned it on icy corner – am sore :/

Otherwise it was great 🙂

ernie67

Could have kissed my balaclava this morning …..bit nippy !

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Not too shabby

dbcooper
    Free Member

Binned it on icy corner – am sore :/

This why I drove. I have a set of rules.

must be >4degrees
    and <10knots wind

otherwise I drive…

soma_rich
    Free Member

Mine was wet and cold I think it was about 0 degress the whole way in, so got the ferry to work to shave 10 miles off 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Mine was ok. Few spots of cold rain, few strong gusts, but mostly good.
    Home journey will be quick – wind behind me and racing the in-coming rain 🙂

New wheels were great 😀 (Have I mentioned the £800 wheels I got for £200 in chainreaction’s sale??)

soma_rich
    Free Member

£800 wheels?? on a commuter in the winter, I think some roadies will be having cold sweats!

ton

£800 wheels…… 😯

you don’t want to ding them often do you.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a set of rules.

must be >4degrees
    and <10knots wind

otherwise I drive…

Jeez you don’t ride if the wind is over 12mph, that’s a light breeze.

And over 4degrees, hardly nippy.

DezB
    Free Member

£800 wheels?? on a commuter in the winter

For £200!! And they’re WHITE. Got em filthy this morning 🙂

dpfr

Very! I am ‘working at home’ today but managed a two hour commute from the garage to the house, taking in two reservoirs, three decent climbs, and miles of tracks dusted with snow, all in brilliant sunshine. Productivity is rubbish now, though.

toby1

scaled, soma_rich, dpfr – pretty jealous of all these options. Although scaled you can keep the hangover 🙂

Sandwich

Bright and sunny, a balmy 2C in the mystic East. Road bike only as the river path option is hub deep in water currently.

ianfitz
    Free Member

i’ve got the best part of three weeks off as am changing jobs.

managed a 3 hour round trip non commute earlier on though 🙂

callous
    Free Member

Last nights ride was on the bike path from Bexhill to Hastings ( I cut short the full Eastbourne to Hastings run ). Nice strong wind pushing me home for birthday cake and the crashing sea provided a nice break from a day in the office.

shermer75
    Free Member

Got a link for those wheels, DezB?

TiRed

Spinny! Rode the SS (34×17) mountain bike with CX tyres. 14 flat miles at 105-115 RPM. An excellent “recovery ride”. Every time I looked down it was 14.8 mph and a HR of 130 bpm. Raising the HR is actually very hard on the flat because you can’t sustain much faster cadence for long periods. So I’ve decided that this could be the perfect recipe for recovery/fat burning. Ride a SS bike in a stupid low gear. Quite looking forward to the ride home!

franki
    Free Member

Bit of crunchy snow & ice and some slush on the main roads. Had one bit of a wobble, but all good!
    Adds a bit of spice to the commute. (But soon wears off after consecutive days!)

DezB
    Free Member

shermer75 – Member
    Got a link for those wheels, DezB?

It was week1 of their “Unbeatable Deals” on Jan 2nd –
    They are now £360

hooli

Also WFH today so did a “commute” at lunchtime, lovely and sunny but still pretty chilly.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Last night’s commute was lovely until the hail started. Small chunks of ice in the face at high speed is rather unpleasant.

Anonymous
    Free Member

And over 4degrees, hardly nippy.

Pretty much my rules as well though I’ll go to 3c if the roads are dry.

Only reason is ice. As I am just recovering from a 32mph stack on a large sheet of ice on a 3c day I’d say it’s not worth the risk.

DezB
    Free Member

Can I just mention that the ride home was bloody horrible? ta

ahwiles
    Free Member

30mph headwind forecast for my ride home tomorrow.

Shit.

DezB
    Free Member

No joke that. I’ll have to suffer the car 🙁

dudeofdoom

Baa was snowing when I got up but not enuff for the fat bike .

so a quick tyre change to spikes just in case ….. Anyway ended up no snow anywhere on super grippy draggy tyres 🙁

downgrade
    Free Member

Weather pretty boring in Glasgow but everyone seemed to be driving/cycling with eyes closed. Police car (no lights/siren) through a red light was probably the highlight.

crankboy
    Free Member

Fab commute to nursery with crankbrat on his balance bike with the new lezane lights he has spent his life savings on. He did really well never lost control and stopped safely on our two big road crossings. Having dropped him at nursery ibmixed it with the car bound muppets on the main rode why do they need to force their way past when lights 50 meters ahead are at red and within seconds I’ll pass them again and be in the cycle advance box.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve been near to breaking the 30 minute barrier for my commute for a while, managed it this morning, 28.17! 😯

Won’t be quite as fast on the way home somehow!

dbcooper
    Free Member

Pretty much my rules as well though I’ll go to 3c if the roads are dry.

Only reason is ice. As I am just recovering from a 32mph stack on a large sheet of ice on a 3c day I’d say it’s not worth the risk.

This is exactly my reasoning, commuting on icy roads with mentalist car drivers is bonkers. So less than 3 or 4 degress is risk of ice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Nice commute?’ is closed to new replies.