Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Nexus 5
  • miketually
    Free Member

According to the Wired review, it’s basically the Nexus 4: “The Moto G is basically the no-longer-on-sale Nexus 4, which was an excellent phone with a price tag price that made people’s jaws drop at the time it was released. Obviously, the Moto G is made by Motorola and the Nexus 4 was made by LG (as is the Nexus 5), so the two phones vary slightly in design, but the fact that they are powered by similar components and run stock Android (or near enough) makes them pretty much equivalent to one another.”

Looks like Phones4U will have it in stock on PAYG, but with a total price of £135 still.

Bimbler
    Free Member

According to the Wired review, it’s basically the Nexus 4: “The Moto G is basically the no-longer-on-sale Nexus 4, which was an excellent phone with a price tag price that made people’s jaws drop at the time it was released. Obviously, the Moto G is made by Motorola and the Nexus 4 was made by LG (as is the Nexus 5), so the two phones vary slightly in design, but the fact that they are powered by similar components and run stock Android (or near enough) makes them pretty much equivalent to one another.”

But only 1 Gb of ram, which maybe a mistake. Although have this earmarked for my daughters next phone once you can purchase it Sim free

Anyone found a decent case for the N5 yet, selection so far seems fairly disappointing, bought a no-brand one from ebay which will do for now.

ross980
    Free Member

I was looking at a Nexus 5 until I saw the Moto G. Looks a bargain and should be more than capable of doing what I want. Just need to find somewhere with unlocked 16GB versions now… (and think of an excuse for not waiting until Christmas)

AlexSimon

Isn’t the Moto G already available sim-free?
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/125095-motorola-moto-g-where-can-i-get-it

Edit: Oh – I see “but might not be stocked from launch”

miketually
    Free Member

But only 1 Gb of ram, which maybe a mistake.

That’s half the RAM of the Nexus 4, but the same as the Galaxy Nexus.

spacemonkey

Just received my N5 and have to say I’m very unimpressed so far. KitKat UI reminds me why I switched to iOS 3 yrs ago; fuggly and counter-intuitive.

Gonna have a proper play later as I imagine adding Nova and a bunch of other apps will make it more likeable.

muggomagic

KitKat UI reminds me why I switched to iOS 3 yrs ago; fuggly and counter-intuitive.

Surprised at that. I really like the look and feel of my nexus 4 since loading KitKat and GEL onto it. I might go back to Nova at some point just to get shot of the search bar.

spacemonkey

Can’t believe how jittery the scrolling is when handling PDFs, webpages, Facebook etc. My tired old iP4 still does these things perfectly smoothly. Struggling to see what all the fuss is about.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Picked up a motorola moto g at the weekend. Very impressed. Can’t tell any difference between this and the nexus 4.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hello Nexus 5 owners, can you tell me if you consider the camera to be a considerable improvement on the Nexus 4?

Quality of pics is OK on my N4 but I find camera software is quite frustrating.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Hello Nexus 5 owners, can you tell me if you consider the camera to be a considerable improvement on the Nexus 4?

Quality of pics is OK on my N4 but I find camera software is quite frustrating

Tried to take my first proper shots this weekend, Camera is abysmal, I think worse (slower) than the Nexus 4 on autofocus, it was indoors but even so it was slooooow.

rwc03
    Free Member

Rumours are the camera might be slightly improved with a software update.

How’s the battery life? My One X is on it’s last legs, I like the phone but battery life is on the poorer end of the scale. The nexus doesn’t sound much better though.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Battery life is a bit meh as well, it’s great if you don’t use it, overnight with wifi and location reporting off it only uses 3% battery from fully charged. If you’re going to use it prepare to charge it once a day pretty much like every other smart phone I’ve ever had

tekp2
    Free Member

Had mine a few weeks now. The screen is very good, it’s a nicer thing to hold than the 4, and the speakers are no longer on the bottom. Battery seems a bit worse, and reception seems a bit worse. I’d recommend the “Ringke slim” case that I got off Amazon.

rwc03
    Free Member

I’m charging my one x two or three times a day, so once a day would be an improvement. Still it would be nice if one phone company would release a phone which lasts longer than a day.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’m charging my one x two or three times a day, so once a day would be an improvement. Still it would be nice if one phone company would release a phone which lasts longer than a day.

In that case LG G2 (brother of Nexus 5 with a much bigger battery) or Samsung Galaxy Note 3

rwc03
    Free Member

In that case LG G2 (brother of Nexus 5 with a much bigger battery) or Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Hadn’t even considered it but just checked out the reviews and they’re very positive, thanks for the recommendation.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers bimbler, bad news then.

Others found the same? They were touting it as being quicker and better I thought.

🙁

deviant
    Free Member

We’re at the stage with phones where we expect the world but technology has slowed and the differences year on year are now marginal at best.
    The Samsung Galaxy S2 from 2011 is still a very very good phone… As is the iPhone 4s….etc etc…
    All the new devices are supposedly faster, smoother etc but phones from 2 years ago were so good what are we really going to notice?
    I don’t know what the next big jump forward will be but with phones like the iPhone 4s being given away free on contract, Nexus devices around £250 and the Motorola G at less than £150 I’m done with paying £500 for new phones that aren’t any better than the model they replace or stumping up £40 per month for the next two years in order to have a phone on my desk that is no better than the Galaxy S2 I have in a drawer at home!
    These are good times for a consumer, you no longer have to spend a huge amount for a decent smartphone.
    I would like to see all the manufacturers trying to fit larger batteries in their phone though, sacrifice a millimetre or two on the thickness of the phone and start shipping them with batteries that can take a couple of days hard use.

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t know what the next big jump forward will be but with phones like the iPhone 4s being given away free on contract, Nexus devices around £250 and the Motorola G at less than £150 I’m done with paying £500 for new phones that aren’t any better than the model they replace or stumping up £40 per month for the next two years in order to have a phone on my desk that is no better than the Galaxy S2 I have in a drawer at home!

If I was at the end of my contract now, I’d be going SIM-only and either keeping my Galaxy Nexus or buying a Moto G. Sadly, I have until next October.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Cheers bimbler, bad news then.

Others found the same? They were touting it as being quicker and better I thought

Don’t take my word for it though, I’m no photographer and I was “shooting” in a bowling alley, but found the lag between “pushing the button” the phone focusing and then capturing the image laughably bad/slow. Disappointingly slow. Perhaps I could have fiddled with some setting to get it to work better. No doubt something can be done to fix this. Although seems my experience is far from unique.

Other than this and the “slightly” disappointing battery life (personally wasn’t expecting a massive improvement from N4) it’s a great phone. But if photography is important to you I wouldn’t buy an N5 until the camera is fixed. Shame I can’t really afford a Note 3.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I’ve got one – had it a few weeks. I like it and it’s a welcome departure from the ip4 – I just got a little weary of all things apple. speech recognition is excellent.
    camera is pants.
    go for the 32gb, as it seems that androidn is a little more storage hungry than IOS.
    screen excellent.
    battery life has improved massively since I got it – is it learning it’s parameters? I leave home at 0830 and get home from work @ 2330 most days, and it’s usually got 25% left when I hit the hay – though I’m not on it all day (publican).
    maps/search/browsing/apps all better than the ip4 i had before.
    light
    feels like it might be a bit more fragile than the 4

bloody good value all told, especially on a sim only plan – managed to sell my ip4 for £150 too!

cp

But if photography is important to you I wouldn’t buy an N5

I wouldn’t consider a phone at all if photography is an important requirement! There’s only so much you can do with tiny sensors and very small optics.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s important to my wife, who I’m considering buying an N5 for Xmas.

But she’s very happy with the excellent camera on her current S2 and wouldn’t be happy with something that generated worse results.

rossrobot
    Free Member

Had the N5 for a couple of weeks and loving it, but admit that the camera is rubbish. Focus is slow, flash seems pointless, and it’s only taken one good photo out of 30 or 40 I’ve taken. My gf has the iPhone 5c and in comparison the camera is terrible. Battery life seems comparable to the N4, Lumia 920 and all iphones I’ve used.

On the plus side the screen is brilliant, and generally the whole phone whizzes along with whatever you throw at it.

spacemonkey

As per my last post, I spent the first 24hrs with my N5 wondering what all the fuss was about. Lovely phone but still didn’t get on with the interface, poor battery and sh1t camera.

However. having switched to Nova Launcher (premium) + Miui 5 icon pack, I’ve finally got it at least looking the way I want. Still not a fan of the back-end UI but I’m will to forego that.

Battery is now much better too – mine seemed to wake up every 5 mins for no reason at all, but I’ve stopped that after playing around with notification settings.

Have trialled some other camera apps, and whilst the quality of static images can be excellent, anything even remotely moving is still shockingly sh1t. Even a pic of my dog walking towards me 50yds away is blurred – WTF? They’ll have to make a s/w fix no doubt.

Best of all though is file sharing and cross-app integration. This is where it beats iOS hands down. I have loads of social/productivity/cloud apps and can pretty much ‘link’ anything I see/download/open between them. I’m talking Evernote, Pocket, Todoist, Dropbox, Drive, G+ Photos, Twitter, Facebook etc. So much more open than Apple’s “controlled courtyard”.

MP3 capability is pretty good too. Am running some new JVCs which exhibit some damn fine bass.

Google Now still a bit pointless IMO as it needs a good 3G connection to update any map stuff, plus the email/eatery/football updates are pretty pointless (and keep repeating even when out of date). Apple have, I believe bought Cue, so they’re probably going to take the lead here too.

All in all, very happy now.

spacemonkey

I’m now getting more than 24hrs on a full battery (with a good bit of usage) since disabling “Ok, Google” as the phone is no longer always listening.

Bimbler
    Free Member
Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Nexus 5’ is closed to new replies.