• This topic has 59 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Next trail bike…26 or 27.5?
  • justatheory
    Free Member

I will soon be in the market for a new bike to replace my pinched one. I was settled on a 26er Lapierre Zesty from my LBS because there’s quite a few quid knocked off. After reading recent threads on the subject and seeing how many manufacturers are going down the 650b route, it’s got me wondering if it’s worth getting one.

I appreciate they’ll be negligible to no improvement and that it’s a cynical industry marketing move, but I’d still rather make the right choice while I’ve got the opportunity. I know buy the bike that feels right and rides right etc.

If you were in the market for a new full suspension trail bike tomorrow, would you be tempted to go for the new wheel standard?

EDIT: apologies for rehashing something that’s been discussed to death. I’m not trying to start a wheel size debate, other than what people would buy if they were in the market for a new bike. Would you be swayed by the industry’s seeming attempt to ditch 26ers?

mrmo
    Free Member

get a 27.5 if you must, or wait.

The industry has decided that 27.5 is the way forward, whether it and 29 can co-exist time will tell.

If you get 26 there is a real risk that within a couple of years some spares may become an issue.

justatheory
    Free Member

mrmo, I’m pretty baffled, I know choice is good an everything but I was having a tough time deciding as it is. First world problems and all that.

I know that whatever bike I get I’ll love and have fun on but I’d still rather not be riding a betamax if I can help it.

br
    Free Member

The options really are 26, 27 and 29 – although none of them are actually 26, 27 or 29.

And look at a 29.

justatheory
    Free Member

The options really are 26, 27 and 29 – although none of them are actually 26, 27 or 29

And look at a 29

Yeah, I should do really. A lot of people say they make sense for tall folk – I’m 6,3″

I mainly ride Peak, Lakes and on holiday in Scotland. Will be going Alps this summer and will be moving to NZ in the future so would need to be suited to this type of terrain.

brant
    Free Member

If you get 26 there is a real risk that within a couple of years some spares may become an issue.

bollocks

justatheory
    Free Member

bollocks

😆

yossarian
    Free Member

bollocks

😆

+1

Bregante

bollocks

Markie
    Free Member

24″ is the future, get ahead of the curve.

rickon
    Free Member

Trial ride some if you can, wheel size is but one of many factors. If you bought a bike on solely one factor, you’d buy the wrong one for you.

mrmo
    Free Member

Serious question Brant, are you saying that Rock Shox, Fox, Marzochhi etc will carry on making 26″ forks when most manufacturers seem to have decided to move to 650b

For most bike shops will they hold 3 sizes of tyres, rims etc?

You can bodge a 26 into a 650b, but the otherway not so certain.

As i see it I guess it depends on how long you tend to own a bike 1 year or 10? Couple of years might be over stating it, but getting decent kit will get harder if 650b is the industry decision.

jam-bo

24″ is the future, get ahead of the curve

Then it’s a circle. 24″ was all over in 1999

maurizio
    Free Member

Cotic is staying 26, and independent (i.e. not chinese factory based) brands will continue providing quality rims and parts because of the DEMAND for them!

Buy the 26″ its cheaper, fits, is at your local store and rides nicely (i presume). I too am about to drop serious coin (for the first and only time) and i’m buying 26″, if we buy 26, who are they (the marketing geniuses) going to sell 27.5 too? Those that fancy the fad? Well, in 5 years that’ll be 26 or 24 😆

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

For next year the Zesty is going to be 29 only .

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I would go for whatever is the most fun!

I’ve had proper demos of 29″ & 650b (not just a spin round the car park)

For me 26″ is still the most fun – isn’t that what its all about?

duir
    Free Member

My Bulls**t detector has just gone off. Where the hell are you people getting your misinformation from and why are you perpetuating it?

Get a 26″ like every single other rider I know, then laugh your arse off in a few years when all this slightly different wheel size nonsense goes away.

Alternatively get whatever suits you, just don’t be taken in by the idiots that insist on conning you into believing that 26″ is dead. It isn’t and never will be. Any manufacturers with a shred of decency will keep making 26″ alongside any other new stuff they feel they have to make to sell bikes.

Not making 26″ trail bikes anymore, like for example Santa Cruz are is really sticking 2 fingers up at previous years customers.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Surely its simple supply and demand? Bike manufacturers dont want mid to high end 26″ forks so it stands to reason forks manufacturers Wont produce as many.

duir
    Free Member

Bike manufacturers dont want mid to high end 26″

Which manufacturers would that be then? Do you have the slightest idea how many manufacturers are still making 26″ or did you just make that up off the top of your head?

antares
    Free Member

If you get 26 27.5 there is a real risk that within a couple of years some spares may become an issue

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

I tried to get a new swing arm for a 5 from Orange last week as mine has somehow become twisted. I cannot believe what they told me. ” it’s not a warranty as it more than 2 years old” fair enough. Can I buy a new swing arm please ” no we don’t make 26″ swing arms anymore” I nearly fell over. What so you don’t have ANY? ” we have a few for warranty and that’s it” cheers orange looks like I’m getting a different brand now. It made my blood boil

carlphillips
    Free Member

@stumpy/….really!??? ooh that’ll piss me off if i bend mine then!!

justatheory
    Free Member

For next year the Zesty is going to be 29 only .

They’re making a 29er and 27.5 for 2014. The 29er will be 120mm front and back. The 27.5 will be 150mm front and back, which is baffling because the 27.5 Zesty is also 150mm f&r but with larger diameter forks and different geometry.

http://m.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Sneak-Peek-Lapierres-2014-Spicy-650B-Zesty-AM-650B-and-Zesty-Trail-29er,5906/2014-Lapierre-Spicy-Team-650B,58227/bturman,109

roverpig

Buying a bike at this time of year you are always going to be faced with a decision of whether to buy the last of this year’s model (hopefully with a bit of a discount) or wait for next year’s model. As always, you’ve just got to decide whether the changes being brought in justify the extra money. If the only change is a 3% bigger wheel and you can save a bit of money by buying this year’s model then I’d do that. 3% isn’t going to change much and you’ll be able to keep whatever you buy now running for as long as you want. But there may be other changes with the new model that are more important.

Also, if you are looking for a new XC or Trail bike you probably should at least consider a 29er. The change there (10%) still isn’t as dramatic as some folk would have you believe, but it does make a noticeable difference. Unfortunately you probably need to ride one for longer than your average test ride in order to decide whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for you.

roverpig

@stumpy: That doesn’t sound like Orange’s much fabled customer service. In fact it sounds downright worrying. Personally I don’t care what wheel sizes they choose. They are the designers and it is up to them to design whatever they think is the best bike (and up to us to decide if we agree). But one of the things that draws me to Orange is a belief that I’ll always be able to get parts. If they are not going to support existing customers then I’m much less likely to want to become one. Personally, I wouldn’t let that lie and would be all over the place warning potential customers of this “issue” until they relent and knock out another swing arm for you. I doubt they’ve lost the drawings!

NormalMan

I already posted this once today but can’t resist doing so again:

[Cynical mode switched on]

Anyone else looking forward to those new 26″ wheels being marketed in about 3-5 years time?

Press release along the lines of ‘lighter, stronger and more agile’ or something.

[Cynical mode switched off]

roverpig

Not going to happen I don’t think. I thought the same when 29ers came out. Just give it a few years and they’ll be pushing the benefits of 26″ wheels again, I thought. In fact, they are pushing smaller wheels again, but they are not quite the same as 26″. So, basically, you’re prediction has already come true but they never actually try to sell you the old thing again (even they don’t think we’re that daft), they just try and sell you a new thing that is indistinguishable from the old thing.

NormalMan

I did post that somewhat tongue in cheek tbh.

Although one thing I do find interesting is that ‘the talk’ is all of how 650b is sounding the death knell of the 26er because it has the benefits of bigger wheels, without the negatives, so why isn’t it killing off both wheel sizes then?

All that ^ from someone who just wants to ride bikes and said he wouldn’t get dragged into wheel size debates! Doh!

Paceman
    Free Member

I tried to get a new swing arm for a 5 from Orange last week as mine has somehow become twisted. I cannot believe what they told me. ” it’s not a warranty as it more than 2 years old” fair enough. Can I buy a new swing arm please ” no we don’t make 26″ swing arms anymore” I nearly fell over. What so you don’t have ANY? ” we have a few for warranty and that’s it” cheers orange looks like I’m getting a different brand now. It made my blood boil.

This is bad business, I can’t understand their thinking??!? 😕

BruceWee

I tried to get a new swing arm for a 5 from Orange last week as mine has somehow become twisted. I cannot believe what they told me. ” it’s not a warranty as it more than 2 years old” fair enough. Can I buy a new swing arm please ” no we don’t make 26″ swing arms anymore” I nearly fell over. What so you don’t have ANY? ” we have a few for warranty and that’s it” cheers orange looks like I’m getting a different brand now. It made my blood boil.

If that’s the case then Orange have just gone from being my favourite bike brand to a complete joke.

Pathetic.

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

Bruce, that’s exactly how I feel. I have owned oranges for years steadily upgrading from a subzero, crush finally to my dream bike, a five. I’m definitely been guilty of being a fan boy and gushing about them to everyone and going on about their legendary cornering ability.
    I was told It had the wrong bearings in it. (Impossible you can’t put wrong bloody bearings in it!) and to bend it like that someone must have stood on it. The entire feeling I got was that they just wanted me to go away.
    Now I’m no Luddite and I am open to all change. I’m actually putting some 650b’s on the 456 to see what it feels like.
    What’s totally pissing me off is that after going to the manufacturer in the uk they refuse to help me. It’s not like an LBS dragging their feet. This is it. A definitive no. Now I don’t have my dream bike anymore. I’m combing the ads and eBay for a swing arm. Utterly depressing.
    Just hope any of you five owners out there don’t have any problems.

roverpig

That’s why I wouldn’t let this lie. A lot of potential customers could be put off by this. If you make a very public fuss it’s got to be in their best interest to sort you out.

Coyote
    Free Member

Orange sound like a right bunch of ****s. Be interesting if one of their reps was to come on here and explain. If you do get a stealth offer, let us know.

mattjg
    Free Member

If you were in the market for a new full suspension trail bike tomorrow, would you be tempted to go for the new wheel standard?

Yes, I’d buy the biggest wheeled bike that does the job. I enjoy my 29er HT so buy into the benefits of big wheels, but I can see how maybe getting a 29er wheel into a long travel FS frame might compromise the design a bit. But I’d choose 650b over 26 any day, it it does the job (and I don’t see why it shouldn’t).

I’ve also no significant investment or mental baggage invested in 26, it’s easy to let it go for me, mentally I dropped it as soon as I had my first good ride on a 29er.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m actually putting some 650b’s on the 456 to see what it feels like.

FYI one of my riding buddies did this, loved it, he’s just moved them over to his Whippet for a try out and is enjoying that too.

Holmesey
    Free Member

I’m hanging on for one of them new fangled penny farthings. All the rolling benefits of a massive wheel up front, direct drive save pounds on gears n stuff (original singlespeed) and that little wheel at the back is super lightweight with a £65 Nobby Farthing XC 4X Fandango dual compound Hipster tyre on it….
    all of us should be out riding.
    +1 on whichever makes you smile the most…..

Out

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Stumpy

They said my ST4 was within spec when it was blatantly pissed, “that’s pretty good for one of our bikes because they are handmade and it’s hard to get them straight. The tolerance is 4mm”. 4mm tolerance on back end, sort of banana like! The bike shop couldn’t believe that they didn’t sort it out and that it was miles out.

This is my second bike off of them in two years and will be the last.

discoduck
    Free Member

I’m astounded that Orange have ceased making something that actually made them something and who they are to day I’m all for change and progress but for them to cease production and refuse warranty then I personally think its disgusting,

I’ve got a Santa Cruz Butcher, I’ve had it over 2 years ! It’s developed a problem and I’m getting it replaced ! Due to the fact that they ceased production of the Butcher I was offered a Nomad ! A 2013 one !

I’m not trying to blow smoke up any ones arse but the Bike Shop, the Importer & SC US have been great, if they would have **** me off though I’d have been pissed and wouldn’t have taken it lightly !

Rik
    Free Member

Theres some crap spoken on here.

Your orange frame is out of warranty. If your frame was in warranty you would be offered one of the warranty swingarms they have in stock. When these run out and if your frame is still in warranty you would be offered a 27.5 Five.

Dont see wants wrong about that.

When my right XT brake went wrong in warranty, i was only offered a 2013 model as they didn’t have any spares. That meant i had to sell my left brake and buy a new 2013 brake to have a matching set.

Its exactly the same with the Santa Cruz story above, the frame was in warranty, they didn’t make or have stock of the old model, so they offered you another (and for that matter completely different) model.

mattjg
    Free Member

The warranty is not the issue Rik, the issue is they are reported to have stopped making spares for the product. The product is no longer supported. That’s worth knowing.

I believe Hope for instance make spares for their brakes long after they stop selling a model.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Next trail bike…26 or 27.5?’ is closed to new replies.