Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Next Planet X Sale?
  • Premier Icon kevin1911

Is there any sort of pattern to the timing of Planet X bike sales or are they just random?

I want to buy a bike but am reluctant to buy at the list price as there’s always another sale around the corner. I need to buy it via Cyclescheme too – anyone know if they let you reserve a bike while the voucher gets processed or do I need to have ir ready in advance?

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

They put a post up on Insta about just building a bunch of frames that just came in, so
    I don’t think they need to have any sales at the moment, so it will be when they decide the warehouse is full again…

Premier Icon cp
    Free Member

They’ve got a sale on some accessories at the moment.

I doubt they have any need whatsoever to discount full bikes at the moment or for the foreseeable. In fact the inverse might be true – they might put prices up further… who knows!

Premier Icon chakaping

Maybe the best thing you can do is just make sure you’re not paying one of their bonkers “put it up really high so the discount looks good later” prices.

Like the £800 Scandal frames.

Premier Icon devash
    Free Member

“put it up really high so the discount looks good later”

The Sports Direct of bikes.

Premier Icon kevin1911

Yeah – £1099 for the Free Ranger frame seems a bit mental.

I do wonder if the second hand market will be flooded with hardly-used bikes once society gets back to normal.

Premier Icon chakaping

The Sports Direct of bikes.

I’m sure they’d be very flattered by that.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

I do wonder if the second hand market will be flooded with hardly-used bikes once society gets back to normal.

There’s a fair bit of that coming on FB marketplace, but prices I’ve seen locally are about 80% of new.

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

Yeah theres a definite uptick of people selling like new covid bikes on FB because they forgot they need to pay the rent or feed the kids etc etc

But values are high because supply of new bikes is low.

Once the mfrs get back up to speed / supply increases used values will drop.

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

Planet x used to flog off their slight damaged frames on facebook live, but they seem to have stopped doing that and now sell them on ebay at higher prices.

Premier Icon richmtb

Like the £800 Scandal frames.

I really like my Scandal, but that’s a total piss take

Premier Icon duckman

I am a dyed in the wool PX hater….Until I recently bought a tempest. Fantastic customer service, stock in and really good communication. I think there has been a huge sea change in the way they approached customer services recently. Prices of things on there seem to reflect supply, which is no different to Amazon etc.

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

Yeah – £1099 for the Free Ranger frame seems a bit mental.

If you think that’s dear for a full carbon frame & fork then best you don’t look at any of the ‘competition’.

Premier Icon chakaping

It’s dear if you compare it to Planet X though.

Premier Icon b230ftw

It isn’t really a sale. No “sales” ever are nowadays.
    If you always remember that they are still making money even on the lowest price they offer then that makes things a little clearer.

Anyway I though PX had a permanent sale? Whenever I look at it it’s always the stuff that’d be languishing in the bargain bin at most shops, mostly rubbish. They seem to have taken over the old “one day cycle sales” that used to run around the country but doing it online instead.

Premier Icon james-rennie

the old “one day cycle sales”

I’d forgotten about those! Used to be in a scout or church hall, sometimes spilling over into the car park 😊
    If combined with a “cycle-jumble” was worth a wander. Are they also extinct? moved to ebay?
    I’m only 52, but the world has changed so much with the internet that some things I remember seem like they come from 100 years ago

Premier Icon ginsterdrz
    Free Member

I think there has been a huge sea change in the way they approached customer services recently.

It was widely reported that ‘Dangerous Dave’ sold the business to staff (as some sort of tax/VAT benefit) after which the fire sales stopped and prices went from from reasonable to ridiculous.

Had a few pre 2015 carbon frames and they’ve been fine. Was put off their Ti frames due to cracking issues and indifferent customer service. 2 year warranty on Ti isn’t acceptable especially if they don’t honour it.

Premier Icon luv2ride
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat as OP, procrastinated over a couple of choices between brands, preference was with another brand (now fully sold out in my size) and now back to the PX option as favourite. I’ve seen they discount newly released bikes, then stick them up to “full RRP” after a while. Annoyingly it looks s if I could’ve saved 3-400 quid and got it built in 10 days if I’d pulled the trigger a few weeks ago, so am pateintly waiting for tge next discount (there have been two so far since it came out) 🙄

Their latest release includes a new Ti London Road with 1x Rival, for £1499 “pre-order offer”.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.