Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Next generation of commuter bikes?
  • disben

Just seen this.

Although the denny will be manufactured I wonder what other technologies might filter through.

Particularly like the Spring Loaded retractable rack on the Merge, the lock and lights on the denny and the navigation on the solid

Production prices will be expensive though….

skinnyboy
    Free Member

the Denny seems to be the perfect commuter bike. Nothing fancy just good design. Considering the prices of some commuter bikes if they position this in the middle it will sell like hotcakes. I’d love one for popping into the village and doing a bit of shopping, hate riding my other bikes as they are so single purpose!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Where are the mudguards?

skinnyboy
    Free Member

it has brushes that brush the water and debris off the trailing edge of the tyre. Probably not as effective as traditional ones but look like they do a job

Andy

Initial thoughts that they are all fugly, and also an instinctive knee jerk against the urban hipster marketing but some really good innovations and very practical bikes. Wonder how long before the big players appropriate the innovations?

oldnick

I note that the winning design had a film focussing on the bike not a load of lifestyle/”my lovely city” b#ll#cks.

Nice product with a crazy marketing strategy of presenting relevant information 😮

Andy

NB Particularly like the utility top tube idea of the Merge, but the way its been done is gopping 🙁 More understated a commuter is the better IMO

mtbfix

What torso said. No mudguards = daft commute bike unless you live n a desert.

cookeaa

Actually I think the minimalist fender/guards on the “Denny” are potentially a really good idea.

Full guards are great but you only have to look at how popular quick and easy partial guards like the sks raceblade are to see the potential market for a more minimal easy mount shite deflector

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

also an instinctive knee jerk against the urban hipster marketing

I simply couldn’t watch the ‘Solid’ video, was putting me off brunch, I value a Saturday morning. Shame really will try and find a transcript owing to my arguably overdeveloped aversion to cheesy bollox in marketing. It’s like dating, if someone is trying too hard you naturally question the motive…is it all about paying the backers and selling a lifestyle, or is it about good design for the future?

Didn’t Van Moof do some of this stuff some years back? Seem to recognise the hefty straight TT with lights combi…

Seems like a worthy winner tho, love that anatomical bar/shackle lock, at least in a more ideal world where security ratings needn’t cater for power tools. Interested too in the water displacement of brushes vs mudguards.

kcr
    Free Member

No mudguards on a commuter? That narrow brush in the middle of the tyre is not going to remove water effectively. Presumably the brush will also wear down pretty quickly and will need adjusting or replacing regularly.
    The Denny carrying system doesn’t look very flexible or useful unless you just want to carry a few books or take your Apple laptop to the coffee shop. A rear rack and panniers are a much more flexible way of carrying stuff. I can strap a small package to the top of a conventional rack, or carry 40 litres of shopping in panniers.
    The integrated lock is an interesting idea, but ties you into using a proprietary braking and handlebar system.

I’m not quite sure what problem they are solving, because you can already build practical commuter bikes with off the shelf components.

TiRed

Nothing with enclosed drive? No Mudguards, Please! If you want funky looks buy a Vamoof.

The integrated lock is an interesting idea, but ties you into using a proprietary braking and handlebar system.

Bindun. See Vamoof:

trail_rat
    Free Member

Shit mudguards like raceblades are used by those who have not used real mudguards or those who cant/wont have a bike that fits mudguards, they are a token nod in the direction of mudguards but no where near as effective or quiet as propperly fitted full length guards.

There already bikes that look like this in use in holland , i liked the look of them but they are all fairly heavy like, the ones i saw had lights built into the front and back of a straight top tube that was pierced by the seat tube and the headtube , looked good in an alternTive sort of way , but like a moped you wouldnt want to be seen riding it.

bails

mudguards like raceblades are used by those who have not used real mudguards or those who cant/wont have a bike that fits mudguards, they are a token nod in the direction of mudguards but no where near as effective or quiet as propperly fitted full length guards.

+1. the only reason people use raceblades/RoadRacers etc is because manufacturers make daft, impractical bikes that can’t take proper mudguards even though most bikes are used year round and not for real racing where you wouldn’t want the extra 10 grams that a mudguard mount adds.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

but like a moped you wouldnt want to be seen riding it.

Is that why Brits on mopeds wear full-face helmets? Like a shame-veil?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Next generation of commuter bikes?’ is closed to new replies.