Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • next bike!! 29er 26er?
  • pealypro2012
    Free Member

hi all im looking for some help as to what i should get next.
    i currently have a specialized stumpjumper evo comp 2012 which ive spent about £3500 new wheels, and other upgrades. im currently looking into selling it and getting myself a new bike. i do a lot of xc work but occasionally go into jumps and even some dh racing in the last years series, so as you have probable gathered i need my bikes to do everything, and to chuck this on top i am 6,3 and weigh 90kg, meaning its no easy ride for my poor bike. i was wondering if there was something i could possibly swap my bike which would do the same job, maybe in a different wheel size.
    about 2500 is my price range so i understand im looking at second hand
    thanks
    jack

tomhoward

One that you like.

1/10

cubemeup
    Free Member

Bregante

I’d say your current bike would be about the best compromise tbh.

What’s your current bike worth on the second hand market.?
    Subtract that amount from your budget and spend that amount on a second hand d.h bike.

pealypro2012
    Free Member

thanks ^ yeh I’m not being to hasty in getting rid of it yet really trying to find something which will live up to the stumpy

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

XC and DH = DIFFERENT BIKES

pealypro2012
    Free Member

my budget is whatever i can get for the stumpy, so just having a dh bike wouldnt really work,

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

It’s either two new bikes or stick with the stumpy evo really. If sticking with one bike having two sets of wheels and a couple of stems you can switch between depending on what you’re riding might be a sensible compromise.

fizzicist
    Free Member

I’d suggest looking towards a 29er with around 110-130mm travel. Should pretty much cover all bases. Cube or Canyon are within budget,

At 6’3″ and 90kg I suspect you’ll find a 29er a very natural fit & anything with 26″ wheels will feel like a kids bike afterwards.

I fully expect to get flamed to shit for the above comment by the STW massive. I will however be busy riding my bike rather than talking about it when it comes to defending my perspective. I have 26″ and 29″ and prefer 29″…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Depends on whether you follow fashion or not basically, so If you do then 650b, if not then 26. Dunno what that 29 thing is all about though, unless you like riding clowns bikes.

somafunk

Forget about the 29er, what about an Ibis Mojo HD – stiffer and more direct than the stumpy and a better climber/descender.

Cheezpleez

You just want a new bike, don’t you? Nowt wrong with that. But why? What’s wrong with the Stumpy? Or how do you want to rebalance the compromise?

(I’d be looking for a way to have two bikes)

Northwind

My current bikes are great, so, it’s likely my next bike will be chosen for differentness rather than for betterness. So, long travel 29er or fatbike most likely 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

XC + DH = AM. Though the stumpy evo is a great bike so you’re really going to struggling to find something to better it. Plenty that will equal or get into the ball park of, but nothing to really significantly better it. You’re into the realms of subjective ‘soft’ things like aesthetics and colour. Why not just keep the stumpy and ride it more?

JCL
    Free Member

Enduro 29.

takisawa2

Keep the Stumpy.
    I don’t know a lot though.

Go to the NEC show & have a few test rides.

rOcKeTdOg

unless you like riding clowns bikes.

-1/10

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Funny, seems to me clown bikes have small wheels…

clown_bike by wobbliscott, on Flickr

or maybe clowns are just very big.

mangatank
    Free Member

Everyone hates 650b in a way that they don’t hate 29ers, and 29ers involve some worrying compromises ( rear mud and mech clearance, toe overlap at the front, stand over height etc). 26ers have no apparent disadvantages whatsoever.

My gut feeling is that 26″ is the long term bet. And let’s face it, when did you last hate riding on 26 inch wheels?

jcnm
    Free Member

I have recently changed from 26″ full suspension to a 29″ hardtail.

Best move I’ve made, enjoy riding again.

tomaso
    Free Member

A secondhand oldish DH bike can be picked up for £5-600 and would allow real DH action

Bregante

Ditto

big_n_daft
    Free Member

mangatank – Member

Everyone hates 650b in a way that they don’t hate 29ers, and 29ers involve some worrying compromises ( rear mud and mech clearance, toe overlap at the front, stand over height etc). 26ers have no apparent disadvantages whatsoever.

????? every bike has compromises, the 29er compromises above over played, mud clearance is fine, mech issues are resolvable, toe overlap!! never known it, stand over height, not and issue on any of my frames

My gut feeling is that 26″ is the long term bet. And let’s face it, when did you last hate riding on 26 inch wheels?

personally I hated my 26er, but that’s just me, bikes are good or bad based on their design rather than the wheel size

NormalMan

jcnm – Member

Same here.

roverpig

Funny, I’ve just changed from a 29er HT back to a 26″ Full Suss and I’m enjoying riding again too. Maybe new bikes are just great 🙂

pjm84
    Free Member

No 26ers stuff in my garage.

I used to think it was an unfair advantage but now come to realise that a big person riding a 26er is put at a disadvantage and it just readdresses the balance.

Not like for like Roverpig!

roverpig

Not like for like Roverpig!

jcnm started it 🙂

Although, to be honest, I’ve still got my 29er HT. Horses for courses and all that.

shortcut

At 6’2 and about 90kg I am loving the whole 29er hardtail thing. And las time I tried one I hated a 26er just felt sh1t, unstable and horrible.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’ve just changed from not riding back to a 26″ Full Suss and I’m enjoying riding again too 😉

having lost 3.5 stone & doing spin class 3x a week has helped, mind

slimjim78
    Free Member

I removed my saddle and am enjoying riding again.

TRIALS BIKE! What are you lot like!?..

ps44
    Free Member

I’m 6’3″ too and went 29er a few months back. On hols I rode a mix of bikes and none of them felt right other than another 29er. Go big.

JoeG
    Free Member

Get a fatbike! 🙂

pealypro2012
    Free Member

thanks for all advise, i have been looking a lot at all options and i think i have narrowed it up. either a ibis mojo hd, santa cruz blur ltc, santa cruz heckler 27.5 new to 2014, and saving up for a second hand talboy ltc.
    i will have to save up for all these bikes but, you get what you pay for. so i hope to get in some tests of these bikes soon, and see whats suits best.
    excuse my apporling spelling and grammar, thank you very much for any advise.

johnnystorm

Definitely a Fatbike. It’s a 26″ wheel with a 29″ diameter. 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘next bike!! 29er 26er?’ is closed to new replies.