Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • news coverage of the snow
  • Haribo
    Free Member

LOOK LOOK at the terrible snow – standing in front of 5cm and a smooth flowing road and repeat.

journalists should be forced to walk YES WALK NOT DRIVE to areas featuring “proper snow” and show images of people sitting in their jammies all day playing black ops and maybe ocassionally logging onto their work emails to give the impression that some work is being done.

Cabin fever – nah but all play and no work makes haribo something something

takisawa2

I’m waiting for a Panorama special on Frozen Britain. They could get Jeremy Vine to do his intro. Let me know when its on.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Nothing is happening here. Back to the studio.

LMT
    Free Member

Whats annoying is we have no snow!! well not proper snow, yet schools are closed, if i can get to work, the lazy kids and teachers can get to school!!

They make out its a major problem as yes probably is in some area’s but not everywhere. We had a bad year last year, the local councils should of learnt that and have robust plans to suceed this year.

Oggles
    Free Member

bored of it

Northwind

I wish we could take exactly 2/3ds of the snow we have right now, and store it for later, then get half of the stored snow out for christmas, and the last bit in about February. This 20 inches thing is just a bit excessive.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

They love it don’t they? The snow that is. Phrases and cliches like ‘arctic chaos’ and the ‘big chill’ being trotted out endlessly with an expression that is part grin. And any excuse to get on their Rab/Haglofs/North Face jackets on….

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It’s the same old story. Was sat in Scotland for a week last week and watching the news might as well have been watching a film. Looking out of the window it looked cold and frosty but there wasn’t any snow.

I’ve since seen about 2 inches in Manchester, shock horror. Just like the weather forecast, don’t believe the hype.

trailertrash

I am going snowboarding in fresh powder under a blue sky in the Pentlands 20 minutes from Edinburgh city centre tomorrow. Lovely weather.

Haribo
    Free Member

SNOW = AAAAAARGGGGGHHHHHH

AlasdairMc

My wife said that this morning everyone on the bus she was on was complaining about the nutter cycling along in shorts, saying he was irresponsible for doing so. My wife didn’t have the guts to say it was me.

People fail to grasp that some hardship is to be expected in winter and are too busy grumbling about being unable to drive their car from their driveway right to their office! Shock horror – winter is cold!!

The news doesn’t help either, proclaiming a national disaster…

GlitterGary
    Free Member

That’s a mere dusting Haribo.

Haribo
    Free Member

i like the way it seems to form a sad face..or a mirror

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68mkgir5fbw[/video]

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I love the way that the vast majority of people simply cannot cope with a bit of decent quality weather.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

all play and no work makes haribo something something

Go crazy?

mintimperial

Flagrant overuse of the phrase “arctic conditions” really annoys me. It’s a dreadful journalistic cliché. “Arctic conditions” is twenty foot of pack ice, minus forty not counting wind-chill, and polar bears ripping your arms off. 10cm of slush and some disgruntled commuters is not “arctic conditions”, it’s “a bit nippy” at most.

Haribo
    Free Member

:twisted:dont mind if i do jk lhfdhgkdf hglk dhglkdf ghlkjfdh glshfkjglhksldfhgkldshfglkdfghl AARARRRGGHHHH AARRGGHH here;s haribo

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Whats annoying is we have no snow! Well, not proper snow, yet schools are closed. If I can get to work, the lazy kids and teachers can get to school!

They make out its a major problem; yes, probably is in some areas but not everywhere. We had a bad year last year, the local councils should have learned that and have robust plans to succeed this year.

I’m one of the lazy teachers that you allude to, so to keep my eye in, I’ve fixed your spelling and what grammar I’m able to salvage. I’m not able to make it meaningful, however.

😉

luked2
    Free Member

There’s no snow here in Cambridge.

I’ve seen a few photos of snow from “around the country” but they are all quite clearly photo-shopped.

IT IS A CONSPIRACY BY THE MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL-THERMAL-UNDERWEAR COMPLEX!

BUT I’M NOT FOOLED!

AND YOU LOT CAN JUST QUIT GOING ON AND ON AND ON ABOUT SNOW. i DO NOT BELIEVE YOU.

timothius
    Free Member

Train tomorrow I think. Don’t trust myself to drive my Ka through the snow.

Or…lie in and hit the local trails…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AlasdairMc – Member

My wife said that this morning everyone on the bus she was on was complaining about the nutter cycling along in shorts, saying he was irresponsible for doing so. My wife didn’t have the guts to say it was me.

Brilliant. Be proud!

I have had varying degrees of incredulity that I have been cycling to work and around the city

Having said that the news do like to make a drama out of it I have never seen so much snow and never seen significant snow at sea level before this early in the year. It really is unprecedented.

If the forecast temp drop does happen it will be severe.

Xylene
    Free Member

I’m one of the lazy teachers that you allude to, so to keep my eye in, I’ve fixed your spelling and what grammar I’m able to salvage. I’m not able to make it meaningful, however

Ooh me too.

I’m really hoping that tomorrow it’s closed as well. That would mean I only have 8 more getty ups until the holidays start.
    8 MORE

amodicumofgnar

Snow news winter specials – they’ll have to invent some new words since most of the ones for harsh conditions were used describing winter 08/09 and 09/10.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

25c tyres + fixed = POWERSLIDE.

Is anyone else having wierd snow? Ours is like loads of little ball bearings when it falls and is slippy as owt. Fixie drifts all over the place.

We went night riding on Monday (in shorts, natch)- people thought we were the apocalypse or something.

samuri
    Free Member

Right. Just watched that charlie booker chap.

HOW MANY REMOTES DOES HE HAVE|?!!!

And as an aside. Look how stupid some drivers are. “IF THE WHEELS ARE SPINNING, LET OFF THE GAS! IF THE WHEELS ARE LOCKED, LIFT OFF THE BRAKE!!!” It’s not rocket science, you can afford a Z4 so you must have some level of intelligence (assuming you’re not a conplete **** being paid a fortune to talk bollocks – heaven forbid), it’s simple physics.

AlasdairMc

Samuri – you fail to understand that spinning wheels will eventually regain traction, it’s just that they’re not spinning fast enough at that time! 😉

Northwind

2 years ago a co-worker- let’s call her Bridget, because that’s her name- managed to lose control coming down the hill towards the office, which was a little bit snowy. “No matter how hard I pushed the brakes it wouldn’t slow down!” She hit 4 or 5 parked cars, and said “It’s just as well I did or I’d never have stopped”

I’d ridden down the same road on my motorbike about 10 minutes before she did, without so much as a raised heartbeat. But when I suggested she might have tried a different approach, she would only say “What do you know about it? You can’t drive a car”

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m sick of the miserable sods who dislike the snow. It’s great. It makes travel a bit tough but it’s to be expected in winter. Grow some balls and work around it the lot of you whining girls.

AlasdairMc

Well said!

mrchrispy

big girls the lot of them, I’m still taking the kids to school in the bike trailer…its great fun (helps that I’m double hard)

PeteG55
    Free Member

Went out for a ride in the 1/2″ of snow we’ve had. Was bloody good fun drifting around the woods. Did get some funny looks on the way back into town. Supposed to get some more tonight, believe that when I see it.
    My brother sent me a photo of his car earlier as he’s been posted up near Edinburgh for a bit. Got a good covering, but I’m sure he’ll survive.

armchairbiker

All I can say is my 9 year old is STILL going to his school in shropshire in shorts (and 3 of his friends).

This is their decision (before I get flamed) – and they are wondering what the fuss is about.

On the another topic I loved the fact I couldn’t get to a client meeting in Dorking because it was -3 and snowing – after I’d got all the way into London. Just wait – it was minus 10 in shropshire at the weekend and I managed it alright.

Lifer
    Free Member

let’s call her Bridget, because that’s her name

😆

“What do you know about it? You can’t drive a car”

Hope you said “Well obviously neither can you!”

mefty
    Free Member

Stuart C – you better do some more homework. Learnt can be used as the past participle.

oldgit
    Free Member

The reporter said ‘were up to our knees here in snow’ but it wasn’t past the soles of her shoes.

Anyone else’s teenagers think that snow is now w legitimate reason not to go to school?
    And finally, businesses…manual/skilled workers arrive at work, the office/sales etc don’t? A generalization but true!

Hairychested
    Free Member

My brother’s workmate didn’t get to work yesterday as it was impossible she said. She drives a Defender with chunky tyres (her other half off roads in it). My brother offered her a swap of cars as clearly his Punto is better. She almost did it (her BF had to intervene).

GrahamS

And finally, businesses…manual/skilled workers arrive at work, the office/sales etc don’t? A generalization but true!

Speaking as a office worker: I can do my job from home, so why would I spend a couple of hours digging out my car then another couple stuck in dodgy traffic conditions. Not to mention the sketchy drive home through heavy snow with no streetlights on the A road.

Most manual/skilled workers presumably don’t have the option of working at home.

goon
    Free Member

PMSL at Stuartie_C!

oldgit
    Free Member

Graham, more to do with the fact that blue collar workers, with some exceptions don’t need to commute. My FSB rep was talking about the issues it raised.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘news coverage of the snow’ is closed to new replies.