Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Newport Shropshire road rides
  • shortyj15

Currently at uni there at the moment.

Want to get to south shropshire to some nice areas.

Anyone know of any good rides starting from Newport? Roughly 70-80 miles is not a problem

celticdragon

Harper Adams by any chance?

Look up Nova Raiders on facebook, it’s the local racing club, I’m sure they do social rides as well.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Nova Raiders is a good call. You can also follow the road past Harper Adams and continue all the way to Shrewsbury along B roads that aren’t too busy and then on to Wales. A nice ride is to Church Stretton via Ironbridge which you can ride to via Telford (there is a nice cycle path that goes from the Telford Centre to the Gorge called the Silkin Way) and then over one of the bridges and on to Church Stretton from there via Broseley and Much Wenlock. There you have lots of choices if hills are your thing. Alternatively there are country roads that will take you over to Cannock Chase they have just reopened the old railway line as a walk from Newport to Gnosal and you can ride from there to Penkridge and onto the Chase. HTH.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shortyj15

Yeah Harper Adams.

Ta I shall have a look at the route Roter

RoterStern
    Free Member

Have a look at Strava too. You should be able to see where most of the clubs in the area go riding. Alternatively there is a bike shop where the Nova Raiders are based out of opposite the night club (whatever name it goes under…was always called Mainstreet in my day).

bueller
    Free Member

I used to go from Newport to Lilleshall, down the Humbers (Hoo Farm) over to the Wrekin (road over the top then swing a right) pick up the NCN to Attingham, either head in to Shrewsbury for a brew at Stans Cycles before turning round or just carry on from Attingham heading toward Roddington, Crudgington, Tibberton etc back to Edgmond. About 90k ish. Nice riding.

celticdragon

@Roter, think it’s called Cetral Square now, or it was the last time I looked. Like you, it’s Mainstreet to me.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Used to live in Newport. Lovely part if the world!

RoterStern
    Free Member

I grew up there. Couldn’t live there anymore since becoming a city kid. 🙂

celticdragon

So did I! Lived there for 19.5 years, left to go to uni, never went back. The parents still live there.

I think it’s a horrible place now, especially as there are 2 gated communities in it now.

RoterStern
    Free Member

So did I! Lived there for 19.5 years, left to go to uni, never went back

Same story here. What are these gated communities you speak of? Seems to me the entire town has become the halls of residence for Harper Adams!

celticdragon

Their off the bottom of Islington close, built on a flood plain made of peat.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Just had a look on Google maps. WTF are they trying to protect the poor residents from excatly?? LOL at Islington Close. Is that because of the Jeremy Corbyn tie in? 🙂

celticdragon

Islington close has been there since the mid 70’s, I have no idea how the developers came up with the names for that estate.

shortyj15

Yeah it’s fairly populated with students now. They built some new halls on campus last year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Newport Shropshire road rides’ is closed to new replies.