Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Newlaptoptrackworld advice please
  • stayhigh

Morning all

I’m in the market for a new laptop for everyday internet use, music, video and streaming NF/LF. I’ve been shown THIS one in my local Currys which seems fairly sensible (to my clearly expert eye… lol) which could come bundled with McCafe Live Safe anti virus for #440 (minus 5% NHS discount so say #420).

They also offer to set it up and do the back up USB that Windows 8.1 requires for an extra #40. I’m sure it can’t be that difficult to do this however it would be convenient.

In the past I’ve always used either AVG or MSE for my anti virus however the LiveSafe would cover my phone and my sons tablet too. Does that seem like a good deal or are there better options out there?

My budget would be #500 at the very very most, ideally closer to #400 would be better though.

Thoughts much appreciated 🙂

ryderredman
    Free Member

Personally not a fan of HP. They have a bad rep of falling to pieces. Their association with dee beats somewhat annoys me too.

Have a look in John Lewis for any that might be on sale/in that price. They all come with a 2 year warranty. Maybe see if you can go for an Intel i3 processor. Not that I have any recent experience of this but I’ve kind of lost track of AMDs purpose in the processor market.

Other than. That loads of storage and enough memory for your general use.

nickjb
    Free Member

There is usually a good deal to had here http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk

As for McAfee you’d have to pay me to install that. No way would I pay extra for it.

Cougar

Windows 8.1 comes with a perfectly good AV solution in the form of Windows Defender, you don’t need to downgrade it to McAfee.

I’ve no idea what this “required USB backup” is you’re talking about but it sounds awfully like the store is trying to bleed an extra 40 quid out of you.

stayhigh

Apparently to make a recovery/back up for 8.1 you need to do it on a 32gb usb which takes up to 6 hours. Or so said salesman… I’m sure its probably quite straightforward and would be cheaper with your own usb though.

I’ve never used MaCafe before, I take it its not all that?

In the past I’ve considered HP stuff to carry a lot of bloat, is this still the case?

clubber
    Free Member

Do you really need a windows machine?

Chromebook? http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/chromebooks/hp-14-q032sa-14-chromebook-21937179-pdt.html

£250 and we’ve found it brilliant for the things you listed.

Lots of threads on here about them.

stayhigh

The Chromebook looks a nice idea however I would need an optical drive in order to watch DVD’s and listend to CD’s as this will be my computer, TV, stereo all in wonder. I would also need to get an external HDD to back up my music etc as I dont have room for it where I am currently staying.

ryderredman
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    Do you really need a windows machine?
    Chromebook? http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/chromebooks/hp-14-q032sa-14-chromebook-21937179-pdt.html
    £250 and we’ve found it brilliant for the things you listed.
    Lots of threads on here about them

I’ve given up recommending chromebooks to non technical users(no offence). Only IT people seem to want them! Not the intended audience!

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one of these as a small business laptop
    http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/e540/
    Even if this were a ‘play’ laptop I’d be very happy. The keyboard is better than most all out there, build quality better than most things you’d get in PC World / Currys for the same price and just a good, well-priced machine. The move from 7 to 8 was a bit time consuming but no hassle. Going to 8.1 was a doddle.

stayhigh

Now as it happens I’ve been looking at a Lenovo G510 which seems to tick all the boxes its just not a brand I was aware of before. Reviews online seem favourable so its currently a toss up between this and something with a bigger screen like a Acer Aspire E1-771.

hot_fiat

If anything Dell takes your fancy, pm me. I’ve still got a few codes left for this year. Think they’re worth up to 15%.

And you really don’t want McAfee. Nobody does.

stayhigh

The Inspiron 17 looks very tempting. Was going to email you but cant see an address in your profile. Can you mail me please at my profile address 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Lenovo are what were IBM Thinkpads – solid manufacturer.

I’d seriously recommend an external monitor over a bigger screen if that fits your needs. I have a 2 screen setup at home with the 23″ monitor at eye level above and behind the laptop. It is a delight to use and big monitors are getting so cheap now. I can use the laptop anywhere but the luxury of the big screen at home is well worth it.

clubber
    Free Member

Only IT people seem
    to want them! Not the intended audience!

FWIW, Mrs clubber is definitely not an IT person and she loves it…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

In a similar boat, OH has a mac mini that works but can’t support her ipad as Apple decided to make ios7 devices not work on earlier OSX – havent much hope for sorting it all out by upgrading to snow leopard, too much faffing, Apple punish old customers by this nonsense. Can’t find an itunes alternative for mac OS otherwise the mac mini would still be useful.

So, laptop it is, with added benefit of being usable at college. Chromebook seems good on the budget and solid choice – but we have a laser printer which is necessary, yet obviously not ‘cloud print’ ready. this means running another computer just to print, which is a royal PIA.

Any suggestions appreciated hugely.

vinnyeh

I’d avoid the Lenovo. Their business machines are fine, the consumer model seems crap. Performance is probably fine, but the keyboard layout is awkward and both that and the touchpad have poor responsiveness. It’s heavy and the casing and chassis flexes and the screen has a very poor viewing angle.

Disclaimer: ours is a g500, the other three laptops in the family are a lenovo work machine and two MacBooks, so it might be a bit unfair to compare, but I just will not use it, it’s so bad.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Newlaptoptrackworld advice please’ is closed to new replies.