Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Newish neighbour advice…
  • oxym0r0n

Sorry, not posted on here for a while, so not sure what the current state of STW wisdom is like.

A newish neighbour, renting one of the flats opposite with his son was riding his motorbike up and down our cul-de-sac during the afternoon revving, accelerating and breaking. He’s quite a large guy and had no shirt or helmet on. He’s currently or near the end of serving a sentence for death by dangerous driving. The bike is SORN.

We have a new baby and small children and there are other children in the street as we have chosen to buy in a ‘safe’ location.

Basically, he was disturbing the peace and there was/is the potential for an accident + it was illegal.

So, should I:

– Mind my own middle class business?

– Have a quiet word?

– Report him?

– Do nothing?

– Something else?

Let the flaming begin…

onehundredthidiot

If your worried enough by it.

https://crimestoppers-uk.org/

trail_rat
    Free Member

Don’t think it’ll matter what you do. He won’t listen.

I’d imagine if anything that sort of person will be more likely to do it if he knows it antagnoises you knowing full well that the law doesn’t really give a shit.

Harsh but thats generally how it works.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry to much it will not last long.

In a few weeks, chances are, the bike will be broken and then it’ll just sit rusting outside on some part of your communal gardens.

Good Luck

Coyote
    Free Member

Er… How is he currently or near the end of serving a sentence and living in a rented flat across from you?

That aside, there is probably no point in talking to him, so go straight to the police.

jekkyl

Depends… could you have him in a fight?!

wwaswas

999 – he’s clearly not capable of staying away from motorised vehicles and has already killed once…

T1000
    Free Member

If your going to report him, make sure that you’ve not complained to him or about him to anyone in the ST.. if he’s as described you can expect vengeance….

deadkenny
    Free Member

Get these every now and again from the estate near me with mini-motos or MX bikes. They buy them for their kids but then ride them up and down themselves most the time. Eventually problem stops as said probably by getting broken, or otherwise the cops catch up with them maybe for another matter, and bike is crushed.

Got one round my way at the moment, along with some kid(s) who’ve bought some crappy car and made them sporty with deliberate backfires and doing burnouts at junctions. Like ones before round my way, they’ll soon be in a ditch (and the driver maybe in hospital, jail or a grave), or at least crushed.

Cougar

If he’s serving a sentence for killing someone, I doubt that “having a quiet word” would receive a response of “terribly sorry old chap, I didn’t realise.  Won’t do it again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Start a diary of every time he does it, run it for a month, give it to the police and to the council.  Oh, and the DVLA, they’re probably the ones most likely to throw the book at him.

dmorts

He’s currently or near the end of serving a sentence for death by dangerous driving.

I think it’s worth reporting as the sentence has clearly had no effect on his perception of safety for himself or others. If he’s out on licence then his actions might get him recalled to prison.

martymac

If he’s caused someone’s death by dangerous driving, then the last thing we need is to have him driving.

do us all a favour and phone the old bill, you’re doing us all a favour.

if they catch him, he’s unlicensed and therefore uninsured, so the bike will be seized.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If he’s serving a sentence for killing someone, I doubt that “having a quiet word” would receive a response of “terribly sorry old chap, I didn’t realise.  Won’t do it again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Start a diary of every time he does it, run it for a month, give it to the police and to the council.  Oh, and the DVLA, they’re probably the ones most likely to throw the book at him.

Do dat.

Stay clear of the situation or he’ll take it out on you and your family…

v8ninety

How do you know about the conviction? Curious

oldtalent
    Free Member

Typical pita renter, then dont care as they dont own the place. Complain also to the landlord / estate agent get them kicked out. Might be a clause in the rental agreement not to be a bloody nuisance.

TheGingerOne

Report to Police via 101 would be the first step and they might keep an eye on the area more regularly to catch him out – one would hope.

shakers97
    Free Member

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t report that to the Police? Get on the phone.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Come on, you know what you need to do. You’re just here to ease your guilt by checking we’d do the same. If it helps, I’d report it. I wouldn’t hesitate and I wouldn’t loose any sleep over it.

poah
    Free Member

no hesitation in reporting it to 101

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Video it.

Report it.

Done

SaxonRider

As a matter of interest, I first noticed this thread sitting just above the thread about Jordan Peterson. It took me about ten reads before I realised it wasn’t going to be anti-Semitic.

As you were.

EDIT: Sorry. Not quite done.

Video it.

Report it.

Done

This. I would.

funkmasterp

maccruiskeen

Er… How is he currently or near the end of serving a sentence and living in a rented flat

Sentences aren’t only custodial. Even if a sentence does involve prison a quantity of the sentence will still be non-custodial where the offender is  out but ‘under license’. So in the case to the OP the ‘perp’ may be in the ‘under license’ element of their sentence where any breach of the conditions of that licence (or any new, even minor, offences) will put them back behind bars.

But a ‘sentence’ can also mean a tag, a community sentence (unpaid work) or a ‘discharge’ (which is still a sentence of sorts.)

brakes
    Free Member

is that Double Dragon?

jamj1974

Report him.  I would not hesitate.

funkmasterp

is that Double Dragon?

Nope, Streets of Rage. Spent ages trying to find a gif of the same thing from Renegade. Definitely the best way of dealing with the OP’s problem 😀

globalti
    Free Member

Get video from an upstairs window then get on to 101. No question.

oxym0r0n

Thanks for all the replies (and video!)

I found out about the conviction and his current situation as he gave me his life story when he caught me while putting out the recycling the other day…

I’m fairly sure it is his bike and been in storage at the house his wife is living in for a couple of years, so thinking about it a bit more, he may have been checking that it was still working – although not the way to do it!

If he does it again, I will certainly be videoing and calling 101 but hoping it was a one-off – I don’t really want all his biker mates knocking on my door and causing agro.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t report that to the Police?

Neither do I

Cougar

If he does it again, I will certainly be videoing and calling 101 but hoping it was a one-off

Ah.  I assumed from your post it was a regular occurrence.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If he’s not been bragging to other neighbours re his past life, it could be obvious who’s dobbed him in…

kelron
    Free Member

Controversial, but was this actually dangerous or just annoying? If it was a one off and he wasn’t going silly speeds I’d drop it.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’d  ask him if i could have a go, you never know you might get on like a house on fire.

breninbeener

I would take care with the video idea. Much as i hate this behaviour, in a court case it is disclosable and as such would identify you by where it was filmed from.

Whilst you may be a big boy and robust ablut a reprisal or a nasty comment in the street, your family may be less robust and you may be putting them in line for some hassle.

So, in short, if i lived alone i would report amd make a video and lrovide a statement, however if i had family i would report anon to 101 so the Police may arrive and be the witnesses.

Although its true that for evil to triumph it is only required that good men do nothing; i wouldnt expose my family to the fallout of my actions.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Newish neighbour advice…’ is closed to new replies.