Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • newdadinstantcoffeetrackworld!
  • mattbibbings
    Free Member

First off, I am now the proud daddy-bear to my beautiful 4day old daughter Eliza. Pleased as punch, she’s a corker!

This is the first morning after the first night at home with my first baby and I’m reaching for the coffee. However, where I am normally a grind my own beans,aeropress kind of guy I have the distinct feeling that is not going to be convienent for a while.

So help caffeine-addicted new dad out. What is the creme de la creme of instant coffees out there? Doesn’t have to compete with fresh ground, just not be totally god-awful when I need a hit.

Cheers

warton
    Free Member

I personally find this better than any of the new fangled whole bean instant coffees, but aeropress / stovetop / espresso isn’t that hard with a new baby, they don’t go anywhere when you put them down at this age!

sandwicheater

Keep with the aeropress. Just grind yourself a load and keep it ready in the fridge.

Oh, and congrats sir.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

Nespresso type machine might be the best longer term solution?

binners

I drink about 9 gallons of coffee a day, and having tried them all, I prefer this stuff to owt else

Oh… and can someone explain to me the blanket hatred of all instant coffee. I don’t get it. Some of its bloody awful, but some of its quite nice.

And congratulations Matt! 😀

andymc06
    Free Member

Nescafe Espresso is my favourite when needs must.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Congratulations! I’ve stuck with my STW standard issue Gaggia for morning espresso which got me through my first kid and is now getting me through my second (4 weeks in now.) Reckon decent coffee is well worth the extra minute or two it takes me in the mornings 🙂

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

I am partial to all of the above but for an all time fave instant hit.Nescafe blend 43.
    Congrats on the little one.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Carte Noir Expresso 😉

eskay

I’m with Binners, Millicano is great. Tastes good and dissolves really quickly.

clubber
    Free Member

Congrats! 🙂

Millicano + 1

or get a Nespresso – it’s much quicker than a ‘proper’ coffee machine but makes good, ‘proper’ coffee.

I have both (and two kids) 🙂

Northwind

Nescafe’s pretentious range has some good ones- I like the Alta Rica and Cap Colombie. And if you like chocolatey then cafe direct medium roast is lovely imo, but everyone else seems to hate it. All of these are better than the average “proper” coffee imo.

Binners, do you not find that millicano awful dusty? I like the flavour but I ended up putting it all through filters or a cafetiere before drinking it, full of bits otherwise.

clubber
    Free Member

Mrs Clubber won a year’s supply of Millicano so we’ve had it quite a lot. Can’t say that I’ve noticed it being dusty.

mrblobby
    Free Member

or get a Nespresso – it’s much quicker than a ‘proper’ coffee machine but makes good, ‘proper’ coffee

I’ve got making a proper espresso down to a minute or two now, and that’s usually with a toddler hanging off me too. Ok it’s probably a minute longer than a nespresso machine but it’s not far off. Certainly not much quicker/slower.

Only real faff is having to spend some time every couple of months to give it a proper clean.

clubber
    Free Member

Glad it works for you. I just found that I never got round to actually using it when I had the proper machine.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Milicano or Cafe Direct Machu Picchu is lovely.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I can make a proper coffee from beans in under 5 mins. Get your priorities right.

Yours

A tea drinker

binners

Binners, do you not find that millicano awful dusty? I like the flavour but I ended up putting it all through filters or a cafetiere before drinking it, full of bits otherwise.

I know what you mean fella. I tend to sling the bottom third of a cup straight down the sink. Otherwise you get a mouthful of coarse sludge

ninfan
    Free Member

I’ve found the Azera a lot better than the Millicano – quite often on offer to stock up on.

The starbucks instant sachet’s are good too, but pricey

brassneck

Second the Starbucks, but I only stock up when tesco have one of their random ‘lower to silly’ pricing days.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

congrats,

and,

douwe egberts dark

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I am normally a grind my own beans,aeropress kind of guy I have the distinct feeling that is not going to be convienent for a while.

You need to sort your priorities out, sunshine! Sub 1 minute to grind and aeropress…if the kid means you don’t have 1 minute spare then perhaps it’s time to consider adoption.

…and can someone explain to me the blanket hatred of all instant coffee. I don’t get it.

Blanket hatred is a little harsh, it’s just that something much nicer is easily available.

nice beans, freshly ground = steak sandwich, prepared with fine ingredients and, importantly, a bit of love.

instant coffee = manky hamburger, sat under the hot lamp for a couple of hours before being slung at you by a surly teenager.

They’re both beef in a bun, so essentially the same…except they’re not.

miketually
    Free Member

Congrats on the kid.

Having not had instant coffee for ages, I had some at work last week. It was vaguely the right colour, and was also hot and wet.

I only drink coffee at home on weekends, when I use pre-ground coffee in either a caffetiere or a stovetop. At work, I drink the filter coffee in the staffroom.

eskay

I know what you mean fella. I tend to sling the bottom third of a cup straight down the sink. Otherwise you get a mouthful of coarse sludge

The granules always used to be very fine but the last two refill packs I bought have had much larger granules.

skybluestu
    Free Member

I go for cafedirect machu picchu. Has seen me through the 1st year of child number 2 well!

edhornby

dowe egberts dark or the percol no4 (or the espresso but it doesn’t last very long cos there is about 3 spoonfuls in the jar..)

I use a stovetop for proper brews and lavazza, this is quick and pretty good, be prepared for about 3 weeks of mental no-pattern sleeping and then after that you’ll be able to get normal stuff done including a proper coffee, good luck 🙂

stox
    Free Member

Congratulations … I’m on regular common as muck kenco instant but I prefer a good ole’ cuppa Yorkshire tea.

Sat here with my 6 day old daughter ( first child too ) so I know exactly where you are coming from 🙂

Pieface

I find those instant cappucino sachets plus a teaspoon of instant coffee and some milk, made to 3/4 full mug makes a decent brew.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pieface, that sounds horrific!

therealhoops
    Free Member

Another vote for Milicano and also Azera, but my personal fave for child related caffine addiction is this thing. It’s v.quick at brewing up:

ps. welldone on the sprog and stuff

_tom_
    Free Member

I like the Percol stuff I got one sale from Tesco. It does leave a bit of dust in the mug like millicano though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Those first few months can be really hard, you really don’t want to be compounding the suffering with instant coffee. If you really can’t be arsed with a proper machine just get a nespresso thing.

crankboy
    Free Member

I have stuck to grinding my own through crankbrats 32 months. There have bean a number of phases , from muffling the grinder with a towel as he hated the noise to him insisting on standing on a chair and “helping” to now total indifference . Good coffee has been an essential prop to get me through the unrelenting joy of fatherhood.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘newdadinstantcoffeetrackworld!’ is closed to new replies.