Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • newcastle (upon tyne) restaurant recommendations
  • keefmac

..for a weekend away in december, looking for a good place to eat. somewhere open of an evening with great food and drink. thanks

legolam
    Free Member

Six at the Baltic – pricey and sometimes hit and miss with the food (although I’ve always had great food there), but the view is amazing
    Broad Chare – proper Northumberland food and a great atmosphere

Avoid Food Social at the Biscuit Factory – overpriced and pretentious for average food

Further afield, Bistrot En Glaze in Wylam is lovely (the lamb and merguez starter is unbelievable)

I’ll try to think of more – what sort of place were you thinking?

warton
    Free Member

Peace and Loaf has just opened in Jesmond.

Everyone who is going is saying it’s Michelin star quality food. 25 quid for three courses all night at the moment

I like cafe 21, or try the Broad Chare, a pub with tables upstairs, both owned by Terry laybourne, who had a star back in the 80s.

house of tides, a new restaurant is opening soon, ran by kenny Atkinson, should be good.

Jesmond dene house is very fancy, but very very good…

or, for something totally different, Lane 7. Bowling, Table tennis and incredible burgers and hot dogs 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lemonysam
    Free Member

2nd for the Broad Chare – been a few times and it’s just a great place to eat.

Stacks of small places in town of all sorts of styles – what are you after. We had a top meal at The Sausage Emporium under the railway arches last week but that’s only just opened, not sure if it has its booze license sorted yet. Cal’s Own in Heaton is out of the way but the best pizza I’ve had anywhere.

This blog’s worth keeping an eye on.

http://www.scranonthetyne.com/

lemonysam
    Free Member

Lane 7. Bowling, Table tennis and incredible burgers and hot dogs

We came to the conclusion that that place will be awesome once they’ve found their feet and sorted the service out but they seemed a bit clueless when we were in a few weeks back.

warton
    Free Member

cals own, could be great but the owner is a dick.

I once asked for a pizza, with extra pepperoni, he refused to do it, as it would spoil the type of cheese on the pizza,. haven’t been back since. he also charges a minimum 10 quid spend per person on big tables, including toddlers and babies.

legolam
    Free Member

Bruges in Jesmond is nice and has a good selection of Belgian beers

lemonysam
    Free Member

I once asked for a pizza, with extra pepperoni, he refused to do it, as it would spoil the type of cheese on the pizza,.

Would that be the pizza that the menu specifically explains is their signature dish and they don’t customise?

keefmac

not really bothered what type of food but was ideally looking for something in the city centre itself, walking or short cab ride. stopping in the city centre so will be going for drinks afterwards. we went to a seafood place last year, big mussel i think its called. great food and although it looks a bit scruffy was really nice.
    cheers for the suggestions so far.

warton
    Free Member

I once asked for a pizza, with extra pepperoni, he refused to do it, as it would spoil the type of cheese on the pizza,.
    Would that be the pizza that the menu specifically explains is their signature dish and they don’t customise?

no, as this was when it first opened, so it didn’t say that. sorry, but it’s a pizza. If I want other stuff on my pizza, I should be able to have other stuff on my pizza. its pretentious shite like that which really annoys me, like french places in the 90s refusing to cook steaks well done. I wouldn’t eat a well done steak, but what right does a chef have to say you can’t have it like that.

ChrisHeath
    lemonysam
    Free Member

but what right does a chef have to say you can’t have it like that.

Erm… It’s him preparing the food, in his restaurant, reflecting on his abilities as a chef – I’d say he has every right.

Anyway…

not really bothered what type of food but was ideally looking for something in the city centre itself, walking or short cab ride.

Well the Broad Chare is a gently amble along the quayside though getting back up The Side can be a challenge afterwards.

If you fancied curry, Rasa on Queen Street is great.

jonba
    Free Member

Big mussel is nice but it looks like a dive from the outside.

“As you like” in Jesmond is nice.

There is a Loch Fyne in Gosforth which can be reached on the Metro of for about £6 in a cab. There are also bars nearby.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Big Mussel was good when I was there a few years ago.

There was also an excellent Indian “Fusion” type place in Jesmond, excellent.

A great Italian just over the river, right on the quayside used to be the River Police HQ but I think that may of closed now.

There are some great places in the Toon.

lemonysam
    Free Member

“As you like” in Jesmond is nice.

Not a thespian I take it? 😉

They served me lime in a Hendricks and tonic, unforgivable.

jonba
    Free Member

Home

The only Indian restaurant the Indian guys at work rate.

jonba
    Free Member

“as you like it” – there, you might have better chance finding it.

Was a bit of a building site round there last time I went but it is still open.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

When does Jamies Italian open??

teethgrinder

Greggs opposite the Central Station. Open late into the morning and rather handily it’s just up the road fron The Head of Steam for some lovely ales and lagers.

Drac

Good cocktails and beer at Pleased to Meet You.

dr_death
    Free Member

Some great recommendations on here so far, and I agree with almost all of them…

Broad Chare – agreed, great ‘pub grub’
    Lane 7 – It only opened a 4 weeks ago so they are still finding their feet, but the burgers are amazeballs, and you can bowl afterwards and a great selection of beers.
    Sachins – great Indian
    Cafe 21 – my fave restaurant in Newcastle…. Love it, a lot
    Caffe Vivo – Also owned by Terry Laybourne, also awesome
    The Bridge Tavern – New place down on the quayside, not been yet but the food is meant to be ace…. Mostly coz they knicked the head chef from the Broad Chare…

If you are back up anytime next year from about february/march, there is a great new place going to be opening on Collingwood Street called two/fifths….. It will be ace (Disclaimer: I own a bit of it….)
    😀

keefmac

many thanks guys, that’s helped a lot.

Kahurangi

The obvious ones have been covered;

I think the Baltic was my fave, then Cafe 21 then Jesmond Dene House. (cafe 21 and JDH have same owners)

The French place in Hexham (ir_bandito will be along with the name) is also very very good.

eddie11
    Free Member

Sorry, Slight hijack but while there are Newcastle people here any reccomendations for good off licenses? The kind you could get decent Belgian beers, brewdog, hardknot and the like?

iamtheresurrection

It’s Bouchon Bistrot in Hexham above…

bri-72

+1 Rasa was there last night. Best curry have had in years.

dr_death
    Free Member

(cafe 21 and JDH have same owners)

They don’t…

21 Hospitality own lots of places, but not JDH

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘newcastle (upon tyne) restaurant recommendations’ is closed to new replies.