Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Newbie to Single speed, loving it!
  • spando
    Free Member

Just picked up a shiny new Genesis Day one drop handle ss. Having never ridden single speed before I was a bit apprehensive but the bike is brill, so responsive. I have been commuting for 5 years now on a mountainbike and got sick of the running cost of commuting and mountainbiking on the same bike. Its all about the right tool for the job I would highly recomend it to anyone. I am 5′ 11″ riding a size 56cm and its perfect, could have gone down to a 54cm but may have been a bit too tight?

charliedontsurf

Welcome onboard.
    That’s one more of us and one less of them.
    Drop bar one speed crossers are ace. If I only had one bike it would be a crosscheck.
    Drop me an email on Bikemonger at yahoo co uk and I will send you some stickers for your one speed.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Your knees will explode and you will grow a ginger beard

flip
    Free Member

You’ll be posting how good ss is and using exclamation marks…

Oh you have 🙄

shinsplints

You will soon become obsessed with the thickness of your beard, the age of your whisky and start to stomp your feet when no one looks at you.

TheSwede
    Free Member

stomp your feet when no one looks at you

😆

R.lepecha

You will soon become obsessed with the thickness of your beard, the age of your whisky and start to stomp your feet when no one looks at you.

Then you will become a god of the cycling world. Welcome Aboard.

Hairychested
    Free Member

You’ve just entered the world of homo sapiens sapiens.

drofluf
    Free Member

Not true!!

Mine came out silver

OK grey 🙁

charliedontsurf

Oh. Should probably mention what will happen now:

Discover one speed and be pleasantly surprised – post on stw…. Tick
    Get stronger and prove that one speed is best by beating geared folk -stw it
    Beard
    Start racing one speed
    Merino wool features heavily
    Become a one speed Evangelist and bang on about it on stw
    Single malt interests.
    Get over it and quietly ride your ss while complaining it ain’t like it used to be – probably won’t stw that phase.
    Quietly get a geared bike and be amazed at the speed.

That lot can take ten years or ten weeks.

shinsplints

lol @ charlie

Regards stomping of feet when no one looks at you, I have a feeling we may be thinking about the same chap here ?? Clues….

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Charlie, is that sticker give away open to everyone?? 🙂

campfreddie
    Free Member

i have just spent the evening rebuilding and converting my geared on-one inbred into a single-speed… can’t wait to get out on it…

i now have a cannondale f900 and an inbred with 44 less gears between them than this time last week!

charliedontsurf

Yeah to stickers. Just email me your address with “stickers” as the subject.

amplebrew

I bought a Kona Big Unit last year to join my 4 other bikes; it was going to be purely a winter bike.

However I’ve enjoyed the singlespeeding so much that my 4 other bikes have been sold and I’m just currently down to my Kona and my ‘hopefully soon to be’ my Steve Potts titanium when it turns up.

I’m actually suprised how much I’ve enjoyed it and 100% of my riding since November has been on my Kona singlespeed.

charliedontsurf

It’s something I hear every few days… You sold me a one speed conversion kit for a 15 year old rigid Kona and my carbon sus whatever nolonger gets used.

On the Tuesday night ride which is not an ss ride, ten bikes, 2 had gears, 8 single speeds Inc 2 29ers. It’s not like it used to (can now enter the final phase;-)

amplebrew

The average speed is pretty much around the same as my old geared mtb’s, yet everything feels a lot more chilled out and relaxed 8)

campfreddie
    Free Member

charlie… what front ring and sprocket combo are you using? i know the swanage area well (i’m from lymington) and you guys have some proper hills out there (relatively speaking!)

i’ve the gusset oner kit with a 16t and a 18t sprocket, so i’ve put on the 16t with a 34t fsa single ring… i was running a 32/16 on the other bike which got me up most things but i was spinning like a mad thing most of the time.

Bregante

Not true!!
    Mine came out silver
    OK grey

single speeding turns your knees grey?

Mugboo

Just enjoyed my second ride.

SS inbred with 115mm Rebas & 32/16

This one was with mates on geared bikes.

Good fun. Strangest thing is not the lack of gears but the difference between my Pike forked Summer Season (heavier/slacker/stiffer) & this lightweight little number. Can’t help popping off of every root or bump!
    Not as confidence inspiring heading downwards but suprising what I can make it up.

Question is will it go away till next winter or will I still be riding it then…

charliedontsurf

Campfreddie. 36:19on a 29er. Which is similar to 32:15 on 26″

There is nowt wrong with walking the occasional climb.

spando
    Free Member

Good thread, charlie cheers for the sticker offer will mail you soon. Am on holiday soon so plan to start on the beard. Will get stronger or die trying…..

rOcKeTdOg

I’m only strong enough for 32:18 on my 29er, but then I don’t have great hair

Btw, thanx for the stickers Charlie

R.lepecha

yeah to stickers. Just email me your address with “stickers” as the subject

Sorry to Hijack the thread, have you sent the stickers out yet? Im waiting to recieve mine 🙁

loddrik
    Free Member

The ‘running costs’ of a geared bike…..

What a pile of nonsense..!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sorry to Hijack the thread, have you sent the stickers out yet? Im waiting to recieve mine

And there we have it, the first one to moan about not having received free stickers yet.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Oh great another single speed freak banging on about how good it is to be different, just what this forum needed 😉

R.lepecha

And there we have it, the first one to moan about not having received free stickers yet.

Its not moaning its asking a valid question. If I was moaning I would have said where are my stickers because I should have received them by now.

oxym0r0n

Discover one speed and be pleasantly surprised – post on stw…. Tick
    Get stronger and prove that one speed is best by beating geared folk -stw it
    Beard
    Start racing one speed
    Merino wool features heavily
    Become a one speed Evangelist and bang on about it on stw
    Single malt interests.
    Get over it and quietly ride your ss while complaining it ain’t like it used to be – probably won’t stw that phase.
    Quietly get a geared bike and be amazed at the speed.

That lot can take ten years or ten weeks.

Missed the beard phase but just getting into single malts (for night ride purposes) –> 13 years and still going.

PS I Mailed you about stickers a couple of weeks ago Charlie – any chance I got there in time before they ran out? Thanx

charliedontsurf

Not run out of stickers. Just busy building bikes and sending parcels, free stickers have to be the thing to do when the important stuff is sorted.
    But will sort it before I set off to cycle to ssec

mollski
    Free Member

Can you turn any frame into a s/speed,I’ve got a harp Mary xc ?

R.lepecha

Can you turn any frame into a s/speed,I’ve got a harp Mary xc ?

Yes you just need a SS spacer kit and cog, some shorter chainring bolts and a chain tensioner.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Newbie to Single speed, loving it!’ is closed to new replies.