Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Newbie snowboard question
  • genesis
    Free Member

I’m guessing that some of the stw collective snowboard.

Question is I’ve had a few lessons at Chill Factor-e and am really enjoying it, is it worth investing in my own gear at smashing end of season sale prices or keep on using the free to hire board, bindings and boots they supply? Bearing in mind that I’m unlikely to persuade SWMBO to go on any type of holiday that doesn’t involve a beach and sunshine, and even less likely to be given a pass to go abroad by myself!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can’t comment on that place but generally hire stuff is cheap and worn. If you’re going to do slot of boarding then you’ll notice the difference

Onzadog
    Free Member

I loved snowboarding when I first went to Canada, so much so that I kitted myself out from top to toe with some good kit. Over the last 7 years, I’ve managed 5 weeks snowboarding. The kit has loads of life left in it but seems a bit dated now. I guess it’s all about just how much you’d get to use it.

The other thing is, while you’re a beginner, it’s easier to get gyped by the shop. Showcase in Whistler sold me a pair of boots that were too big and I found out recently, the stiffest thing on the market! Not a very nice thing to do to someone after day one of boarding. Went to Comor in Whistler this year and was amazed at the difference proper boots make.

freeman
    Free Member

Get your own boots first. I wouldn’t bother with a board or bindings just yet.

Get some good gloves, pants and perhaps your own helmet too to start with.

jammer
    Free Member

I’d agree with the last post. Boots first, they really do make a huge difference to your comfort and enjoyment. Then Gloves and a helmet if you wear one.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I’ll 3rd that.

Boots, boots, boots!

Unless you’ve been riding a while, the subtle nuances of different boards, both new and used, will be lost on you.

The most important thing is to get a pair that fit.
    It sounds obvious, but there are so many different shapes of feet (wide, narrow, long etc) and so many differing shapes (and levels of stiffness) of boot.

The boots should be snug and comfortable, and have almost no room for your foot to move around in, as you want any input from your foot to go straight through the boot, to the binding and onto your board.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yeah I’d echo boots but IME even boards one step above entry level are way better than hire ones.

GrahamS

A decent boarding jacket will be wearable at other times so that is a good investment even if you only board two weeks a year. Likewise with gloves if we have another winter like this year. Thermals are always handy too (think keeping warm while sitting about camping or at SITS).

Boots are definitely the first bit of “real kit” to buy. Go somewhere with a decent selection and try on as many as you can. Comfort and good fit are essential. Two weeks on the slopes is a LOT harder on your feet than a two hour session on an indoor slope.

Also don’t dismiss the SWMBO. I got my missus into boarding and now it is often the only long holiday we take in a year. If you go somewhere in Europe then you can often get bright sunshine, warmth and blue skies.

colnagokid

As above -boots, I got some “proper” footbed insole thingys too, amazing how much difference they made for £20

stevomcd
    Free Member

Bearing in mind that I’m unlikely to persuade SWMBO to go on any type of holiday that doesn’t involve a beach and sunshine, and even less likely to be given a pass to go abroad by myself!

MTFU! 😉

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I did the all-day lesson about a year ago and have now been back a couple of times. I nearly splashed out around Xmas on some boots but realised that, like you, I’m unlikely to go on a proper snowboarding holiday anytime soon. Although whizzing down the slope at Chill Factor is fun for a couple of hours it soon gets a bit boring and even with the best of intentions (“I’m going to go once a week!”) the novelty soon wears off. Indoor slopes to snowboarding on a mountain is like turbo training compared to going out for a bike ride.

If there’s no holiday on the horizon, I’d say just use the hire equipment as it’s free. If you plan on going somewhere and doing it properly, splash the cash.

GrahamS

Just realised I didn’t read the question properly. If you’re not actually going to make it to a real mountain then jacket, thermals etc are **** all use. (Though I agree with stevomcd: MTFU and go on a holiday YOU like!)

Oh you might want to join Snowboard Club UK – Lite membership is £15 and will give you 10% off slope fees at Chill Factor-e and discounts at loads of different retailers (Snowboard Asylum, Westbeach, Boardwise etc).

genesis
    Free Member

Cheers guys, have plenty of appropriate clothing from climbing mx etc so that’s no issue. Had thought of boots as a starting point so I’ll go for that. Wanted to learn for a while and it fits well with my mountainboarding.

Sound advice, thanks.

colnagokid

proper socks, not them toweling tube ones, some proper snowboard boot ones, TK Max (as ever, is your pal)

Tracey

Boots and helmet first

Tracey

GrahamS

Yep, if you’re doing indoor stuff then you might find that helmets are compulsory on freestyle nights (I know they are at XScape, not sure about Chill Factor-e). In which case you’ll probably want your own helmet that fits well, rather than using the sweaty nit-infested rental ones.

You probably don’t need one if you’re still just learning tho – but up to you obviously.

genesis
    Free Member

Got me some plush Vans boots today, and use my 661 p*ss pot lid anyway.
    My wife made a good point I always wear a lid on my mtb,atb and skateboard so why not on a snowboard? So as of this morning I started using one.

GrahamS

Vans. Good choice. I’m currently using last years Vans Cirro with the Boa Focus (i.e. two Boa mechanisms). Like them a lot.

Get the best fitting and most comfortable boots that you can afford. The comfort of your boots will make your day or ruin it. Take the time to fit them properly. A good shop should focus on this rather than any other aspect of the boot. The custom foot bed’s are a good investment. Avoid buying cheap ahead of fit.You should also get out on to the real mountain too. That way it may confirm your desire to buy kit.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Newbie snowboard question’ is closed to new replies.