Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • newbie road rider tips
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Ok im prepared to be flamed. However, I need some tips for road riding.

I am apprehensive about riding in the current wet conditions, more from a going around corners point than anything else. Used to the fat tyres on my mtb and when I look at the skinny ones on the roady it just looks plain scary.

So tips are welcome.

Ash

Kryton57

Road tyres have more grip in the wet thank you think. Except on lines or drain covers. Don’t ride over then anything other than vertical.

kayak23

Slow down on corners?

mooman
    Free Member

Just take your time going into corners. Wet or dry conditions because both can catch you out at speed.

mooman
    Free Member

….. and just remember. Road bike brakes dont actually stop you like mtb disk brakes …. they merely slow you down a tiny bit.

neilm
    Free Member

I built my first road bike about 6 months ago, having only ridden mtb’s since the mid 80’s.

My first tip would be, trust you tyres and just take a few rides to get used to the way the frame rides. As long as you have half decent tyres, you’ll get less slipping and ginking on a road bike than on an mtb. Second tip would be, watch the road; avoid man hole covers and the like, as wet iron and rubber are not the best of combinations.

Just take it easy for the first few rides, and the bike will soon tell you what is does and does not like.

jota180
    Free Member

Don’t run silly high pressures in the wet and cold, save the 120psi for dry and warm days, 80 or 90 is better in the Winter

tinybits
    Free Member

Grip will be fine, the pain in your legs and lungs less so.
    Road riding is relentless, there is a reason roadies never smile!

Basil

Cellotape hands to bars to avoid any chance of waving to a fellow cyclist

ormondroyd
    Free Member

….. and just remember. Road bike brakes dont actually stop you like mtb disk brakes …. they merely slow you down a tiny bit.

They’re fine. Set them up well and learn to control them

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

This!

I don’t road ride much, but I found the outside-foot-down-lean-bike-in technique that works on long flat corners when MTBing works even better on the road bike. Clean tarmac is incredibly grippy even when a bit wet.

globalti
    Free Member

Get some decent tyres like Michelin Pro 3s and experiment with pressures, depending on your weight around 100 is probably OK for winter riding. Watch out for polished tarmac on junctions and corners. Once you’ve got that sorted try some latex inner tubes, they are amazing and will transform the feel of the bike. Carry a conventional butyl spare inner though as latex is so flexible that it will herniate out of the tiniest cut in the tyre and go pop. With latex inners on a dry road you’ll be amazed at the comfort and grip.

endurancenut
    Free Member

I disagree with that. We smile when we exceed 40mph going downhill. No, hold on – that’s a grimace. I think you may have a point there 😉

I’ve recently starting MTB’ing, after many years on the road. So I can give some advice from the other side of the fence.

Firstly, don’t worry about grip. Road tyres have tons of grip. Well at least they do in the dry. In the wet the grip varies depending on compound and tyre pressures. Don’t let the fact that the tyres are slick worry you. Some roads tyre manufacturers – Conti for example – put grip-like patterns on their winter road tyres. But these are there for cosmetic reasons. There’s no mud on the roads, and the width and profile of road tyres mean that they cut through the water at most speeds. From what I’ve read you’ll need to be travelling over 100mph for a road tyre to start aqua-planning, so there’s no need for grip to clear water. As others have said – when it’s wet go slow around the corners and avoid slippery drain covers and white lines.

Braking on a road bike is easy compared to a MTB. All you need to do is make sure you’re going in a straight line and grab a big handful of front brake. As the roads are ‘smooth’ then the front wheel won’t track in the same way that a MTB front wheel does in the rough terrain. So there’s no need to balance the brakes. I hardly use my rear brake on my road bike. Once the front wheel is weighted – particularly when braking hard coming down a steep hill – it doesn’t take much rear brake to lose the rear wheel. When you get overtaken by your rear wheel it never ends well 😉 I can pretty stop on the spot on my road bike, all with the front brake. I’ve never lost the front, or even had it skid.

Another valuable tip is to always descend from the drops. Firstly, it gets your weight lower. Secondly, you get more leverage on the brakes than you do from the hoods. And you go faster!

And a final tip. Never overtake another roadie before an accent. It’s just too embarrassing when they re-take you half way up the hill and leave you for dead. Wait till it gets steep and you know how good at climbing they are before overtaking.

And when overtaking on the flat the trick is to get up a good head of steam in their slip-stream and then coast past sitting up on the tops, back-peddling, and commenting on what a lovely day it is for a cruise 😉

And of course, before you hit the road – read up on the rules – http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Another valuable tip is to always descend from the hoods. Firstly, it gets your weight lower. Secondly, you get more leverage on the brakes than you do from the hoods. And you go faster!

From the drops, you mean, yes?

endurancenut
    Free Member

From the drops, you mean, yes?

Yes, good point. Corrected.

charliedontsurf

These smooth roads with no dirt…. I have not got any of those in Dorset. Road surfaces are breaking up, mud everywhere, I even got some air off a small landslide that had covered a road. Moss, rocks, gravel, poo, new streams… It’s like mountain biking, but faster.

Cornering…
    Get on the drops.
    A flaired bar like a salsa cowbell gives you more control. Elbows out a bit, more leverage.
    Read up on counter steering, a secret from the motorcycle world. It’s weird but works, push down and slightly forward on the right side to go right, and vice versa. If you run out of corner, this can make the difference between victory and casualty.
    Get quality tyres, cheap tyres are not good, good tyres are not that cheap.
    Just like a mountain biker, pick your line, look at the exit of the corner, and not the barb wire fence directly in front of you.

And not about cornering… Get a hi viz gilet or similar, leave a flashing light on the back of the bike all day long at this time of year, assume everyone is out to kill you, stop at a pub or cake shop.

charliedontsurf

Counter steering…

Give this a watch, try it in an empty car Park… You will soon appreciate how it works.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=C848R9xWrjc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DC848R9xWrjc[/video]

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Chill out.

Before you go out take some time to set the bike up properly. Set saddle height, handlebar height and angle, position of the hoods and tyre pressures so that when you sit on the bike you’re comfortable and relaxed.

When cornering keep a relaxed position on the bike, keep the outside pedal down and trust the tyres. Plan ahead, look into the corner at the line you want to take and don’t focus on things you want to avoid. Start slow and build skills and confidence from there.

Closing thought. From what you’ve said your biggest problem is likely to be mental. From mountain biking you have good bike handling skills and a good sense of balance, however now you’re transferring these skills to the road for some reason you’re telling yourself that there’ll be a problem. Seriously, chill out.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I did 100 miles yesterday. I reckon that is probably 4000 interactions with motorists. Mostly fine. I really want to tell the blind-corner close passing numpty from mile 98 that he was the shittest driver out of 4000. It’s an achievement. The richest person out of a random 4000 selection is probably a multi millionaire. The best footballer out of 4000 regular football players is probably in the premiership. It’s an exclusive percentile

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Road biking is bloody great. Aim long, travel places

MrSmith
    Free Member

A flaired bar like a salsa cowbell gives you more control. Elbows out a bit, more leverage.

What a bizarre thing to say? Handlebar movements are minimal and effortless that’s why MTBer’s feel nervous when jumping on a road bike as the hamfisted input they are used to is just not required especially at speed when weight/position has a lot to say.
    And please don’t start this ridiculous wide bar thing we have in MTB. If anything it’s narrow bars for sprinting.

Did you order too many of those bars and have a lot to shift?
    Should report you for misinformation and spamming 🙄

charliedontsurf

tyre size… i am a big guy so never use anything smaller than 25mm. if this weather stays any longer I may well go with 28mm durano plus tyres for a bigger contact patch, and better protection from pot holes.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Fact is road tyres grip roads better than knobbly tyres.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

How big are you Charlie? I’m over 100kg and play either in the front row or second row for my rugby team. I’m really not small. Yet I have no dramas running 700×23 for training and racing (well…I call it racing…not sure if what I do under race conditions actually qualifies but you get the idea)

charliedontsurf

Mr smith… Have you tried them? Have you?

I am in a position where I experiment with bars, and have found these significantly more comfortable on the drops.

Take a look at them, it’s a very subtle difference. When you are on the drops on a normal bar your forearms are pararell, with these your elbows come out a bit and it give you more control. This is why they are very popular on cross bikes, touring bikes, gravel racing… And also on normal road bikes. As I mentioned earlier, the roads in my neighbourhood are not like those of the TDF, i have tight twisting back lanes, dirt and crap… and this thread was asking about cornering, not sprinting or racing. These are great bars for cornering.

Should report you for misinformation and spamming

Too many to shift… No these are the best selling bars in my shop by miles, fresh deliveries restocking several times a week. Not sure if you are joking or being insulting. I don’t hang on stw to sell bars with dis-information. I’ve used these, salsa and surly supply them as stock on many complete bikes, loads of my customers have tried and like them.

charliedontsurf

How big are you Charlie? I’m over 100kg and play either in the front row or second row for my rugby team. I’m really not small. Yet I have no dramas running 700×23 for training and racing (well…I call it racing…not sure if what I do under race conditions actually qualifies but you get the idea)

I’m 100 kg too. Yeah sure 23mm tyres won’t burst into flames. But I find the extra 2mm gives me more comfort, and more speed on the poorer road surfaces. It’s subtle but makes a difference.

I don’t race road so flat out speed is not an issue. I ride a Tom ritchey steel road bike (not a carbon mega bike) stick gel inserts under my bar tape, clear off for all day rides, and stock up on cakes from honesty boxes. And for that 25mm is better for me.

I would suggest trying 25mm and seeing how you get on. This industry is full of standards that have been challenged: Turns out 130mm stems are not that great on an MTB for example.

AD

Just read this thread after posting about Bell Laps. The reason I like the flared drops is that they are more comfortable which lets me ride on the drops longer and go faster. More confidence for me lets me descend faster – even better!
    I am sure if I had stuck with conventional road bars I would have got used to them eventually but frankly I like riding my bikes not adhering slavishly to the ‘rules’ . Equally you might think they’re rubbish.
    Back to the OP – in my experience being comfortable on the bike is the single most important thing – ignore advice to ‘slam’ your stem for example (unless it makes you more comfortable of course).

MrSmith
    Free Member

No doubt they are very popular for touring, cross and gravel racing.

With normal bars you can stick your elbows out with a shift forward and a drop of the shoulder, something you would do anyway ‘pinning it’. And then you aren’t left with your elbows out when you want to get down and make progress into the wind.
    I guess they help nervous nodders unsteady on a bike gain some confidence.
    Which brings me to a pertinent point of an upright position and it’s effect on cornering, a bit of flexibility and a pro length stem (120-140) is going to do more for your cornering/weight distribution than a fancy bar, getting the weight over the front wheel where it’s needed gives more grip and the c-o-g lower. I see lots of new cyclists with a shopper style position and a skyward pointing 90mm stem. It’s obvious why they feel they can’t corner at any speed.

drofluf
    Free Member

AD – Member
    Just read this thread after posting about Bell Laps. The reason I like the flared drops is that they are more comfortable which lets me ride on the drops longer and go faster. More confidence for me lets me descend faster – even better!
    I am sure if I had stuck with conventional road bars I would have got used to them eventually but frankly I like riding my bikes not adhering slavishly to the ‘rules’ . Equally you might think they’re rubbish.
    Back to the OP – in my experience being comfortable on the bike is the single most important thing – ignore advice to ‘slam’ your stem for example (unless it makes you more comfortable of course).

^^This

Exactly what I found with flared bars (Midge Bars in my case). Ride what makes you feel comfortable, not what the ‘rules’ or fashion dictate. You’ll ride further, faster and have more fun. No downside.

kennyp
    Free Member

Beware puddles, they often conceal giant potholes.

Kryton57

Even after 18 months of road coming from 13 years of mtb I’m not brave enough to descend at speed on the drops – it scares me.

I’ve also found relaxing on a road bike more importantbthannon mtb but that could just be me.

AD

😀 was that aimed at me mrsmith?
    First time I have been described as a nervous nodder – brilliant.
    Anyway for the OP’s interest – my current road bike (an old Ellsworth flight) is set up with a relatively low long stem for exactly the reasons mrsmith quotes – the only real difference to the set up I suspect the mrsmiths of the world espouse is the slightly flared bars. They work well for me. They may not work for you but give them a go.

mooman
    Free Member

Cornering

endurancenut – Member

Braking on a road bike is easy compared to a MTB. All you need to do is make sure you’re going in a straight line and grab a big handful of front brake.

Insane advise 😐

boblo
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    Should report you for misinformation and spamming

That’s a bit strong and unnecessarily rude.

Back on topic; perfect the stealthy ‘hello!’. Sneak up on your target, start the overtake silently and when you’re in their blind spot, bellow ‘morning!’ or some such. Makes em jump every time 🙂

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Many thanks for all the responses. You are right, I think it is a mental thing. I know I can handle a bike, but its just the tyres are so thin!

Taking all the advice on board though so thanks again!

boblo
    Free Member

On another forum, a chap posted up how his first road bike was high end Scott Foil (~£4k). A couple of weeks later he posted pics of a trashed Foil having fallen off cornering on his 3rd ride. Take it steady until you’re used to the handling as the consequences could be more than financial.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Hey charlie, thanks for the tips. Turns out that we’re not so dissimilar. My road bike is Reynolds 853 Steel and has a 12 – 25 sprocket cluster. I’ve no idea what honesty box cake is though. I’ve no intention of trying 25mm tyres thanks. I’ve used 23s for so long and to such effect that I don’t see the requirement.

Anyway, I must take issue with your assertion that

When you are on the drops on a normal bar your forearms are pararell

If you’ve set your handlbars up so that you’re forced into this position when in the drops, you’ve set your bars up wrong. Bars should be turned so that the tops don’t snag the wrists when you ride in the drops. Take a look at this photo of Tony Martin to see what I’m talking about.

Oh and for the attention of ashley (the OP) that’s good cornering technique in that photo. Outside pedal down, head up and looking ahead into the corner fingers lightly covering the brakes (look at left hand).

MrSmith
    Free Member

That’s a bit strong and unnecessarily rude

Nice selective cut and paste, you missed this: 🙄
    Here’s a few more ➡ ➡ : arrow: ➡ ➡ 🙄

boblo
    Free Member

Using emoticons doesn’t give you licence to be rude. Sorry. Nothing more from me now, off for a run.

boblo
    Free Member

@ roadie in denial to avoid confusion, Martin is probably covering the front brake as he’s a johny foreigner (front brake left).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘newbie road rider tips’ is closed to new replies.