Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Newbie question on dismantling Prophet FS frame
  • walowiz

well not quite a newbie anymore – but before I find I don’t have the right tool tonight or tomorrow morning to take this frame apart…

i need to dismantle the cannondale Prophet frame into two sections to take it to the sand blaster in prep for anodising

never taken a FS frame completely apart and just wanted to check that this isn’t going to require more bike specific tools, which I’m unlikely to be able to lay my hands on much later tonight!

Any of the STW experts dismantled a FS frame into the separate parts before and can offer some insight / advice ?

apologies if this should be frankly obvious- but couldn’t find too much on google on this.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Assuming you’ve already stripped most of the parts?

Should be one allen head bolt top and bottom of the shock, and I think the bearings come apart with just one preload bolt and one pinch bolt IIRC?

You’ll also need something to drift the headset out with (a flat screwdriver inserted through the headtube and hammer and work around slowly works well if you don’t have the tool). Bottom bracket will need to come out too (likely a standard hollowtech style spanner).

Remember to point out all the bearing surfaces and threaded holes to the powder coaters, otherwise they’ll come back full of paint and nothing will fit. And make sure they go easy and use a soft abrasive, sand blasting will probably take half the aluminum away with the paint!

walowiz

Thanks

sorry should have said all parts been stripped off, including the rear shock and bushings etc and headset off – it’s just the pivot connecting the two pieces of the frame that I’ve left to last- to do tonight.

as I’ve been caught out before not having a clue how the bike parts come apart and then not having the right tool for the job !

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Newbie question on dismantling Prophet FS frame’ is closed to new replies.