Newbie from Bristol

Home Forum Bike Forum Newbie from Bristol

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Newbie from Bristol
  • Welcome back!

You may like to consider a shorter stem. Long stems will cause fashionistas to snigger behind your back, and the sore shoulders could be due to the bike already being too long, rather than too short, in terms of reach.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Unless you’re particularly tall, and have bought a bike too small for you, hold back on the longer stem. As said above, shoulder pain could be from the bike feeling too long, not too short!

Ladies saddle wise, as you’re in Bristol, get yourself down to the Specialized concept store to get your ass measured… Seriously! They’ll then be able to advise you on what width you need, and what should be most comfortable for you etc. It’s well worth it, even for us blokes!

xiphon

Perhaps look at an in-line seatpost, to move the saddle forward about an inch.

karen805

Hello everyone.

I’m Karen from Bristol, I’ve recently gotten back into riding and 5 weeks ago I picked up my new Whyte 805, replacing my 10 year old Spesh Rockhopper, so things like disc brakes are a novelty to me.

I’m loving the Whyte, it’s so fast downhill! It just need a few tweeks to make it perfect for me, i.e a ladies saddle and a longer stem, riding it at the moment makes my shoulders ache and my bum sore πŸ™

Myself, my partner and a friend have just booked a chalet in Morzine for a week in August, so I’m looking forward to hitting the single track over there.

Here’s my bike, it’s not the best pic as it was taken with my iPhone.

Cheers

karen805

Hi – thanks for the replys.

It’s definately too short not too long, my bum is hanging of the end of the saddle, the reach on my old Rockhopper was much longer, but I just guess it down to what I’m used to.

I randomly popped into Snow and Rock on my lunch break and have come back with a Selle Italia Lady saddle which I’ve been reading good reviews about, they had a sale on πŸ˜† I may hold off on the stem then, see if the new saddle makes a difference first.

Wow, they can measure your bum? I’m hoping the new saddle will do the trick, but if not then I’ll certainly go to the Concept store.

xiphon

I could measure your bum, but it’s not a very accurate way πŸ˜‰ Ha!

karen805

Hhhmmm 8)

So, has anyone here ridden in Morzine?

SammyC

Blatant local riding club plug:

http://www.thecheesyriders.co.uk/

One of our chaps is out in Morzine for two weeks in August with a group (lucky beggar) so you could hook up with his lot. I’ve been for the last three years too but not this year due to new family arrivals.

Diawl

Don’t let it out of your sight and get it data tagged or something similar. There’s loads of riding to be done. Get the cable car to Avoriaz or Chatel. Do not stop for a Mutzig at the Robinson Bar after your ride. At 4 a.m. the next morning you’ll be wondering where the last 8 hours went.

karen805

Blatant local riding club plug:

http://www.thecheesyriders.co.uk/

One of our chaps is out in Morzine for two weeks in August with a group (lucky beggar) so you could hook up with his lot. I’ve been for the last three years too but not this year due to new family arrivals.

Excellent, looks like a nice club – I’ll have to come along one Monday evening.

Thanks Daiwl, it looks like its a big area to explore, hense me asking for tips. I’ll be sure to remember Avoriaz and Chatel.
    Mutzig at the Robinson bar, cool – I’ll avoid that one then πŸ™‚

SammyC

Meet point is golf hut in Ashton court at 6.45 now, don’t know if the website has been updated. If I know you’re going I’ll try to turn up so I can bore you about Morzine! πŸ™‚

flashes

Old Mutzig, now you’re talking. Down to 2 crates in the garage, so I’ve a good excuse to go to my mate’s in France in August.

I too like Sammy am a Cheesy Rider, regular rides Monday nights. Bike Jumble meet the yokels saturday, Mud Dock, 12.00

billysugger

Kazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaa. Hi πŸ™‚

karen805

Meet point is golf hut in Ashton court at 6.45 now, don’t know if the website has been updated. If I know you’re going I’ll try to turn up so I can bore you about Morzine!

OK will do, I’ve not riden Ashton Court in about 6 weeks, so it’ll be good to see some of the new sections up and running.

I too like Sammy am a Cheesy Rider, regular rides Monday nights. Bike Jumble meet the yokels saturday, Mud Dock, 12.00

This Saturday? Got friends coming over, but I might drag them down.

Kazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaa. Hi

Hello, don’t recognise the username, so do tell…

woodsa

Hi there, I’ve got back from a week in Morzine/Les Gets etc. These are big runs that you’ll be attempting on your hardtail! Shoulder, arms and hands are going to take an unusual amount of battering. One huge factor that I found was that I, like you have small rotors;l which will absalutely cook! Which entail will boil your caliper and fluid, leading to brake fade quite quickly. Advice: Take a bleed kit and a good hand full of pads. I know you said you be hitting the single track but i’d also advise some form of pads too, as you’ve just gotten back into riding and pretty much going to the top of heap with regards of trails. Have a wicked time. Currently too tired of riding it to be jealous. Not really: V jealous!

TooTall

A spot of lunch on a Saturday at Mud Dock will be appreciated by your friends – the fact there is a bike jumble outside is a happy coincidence when you feign ignorance upon arrival.

karen805

Hi there, I’ve got back from a week in Morzine/Les Gets etc. These are big runs that you’ll be attempting on your hardtail! Shoulder, arms and hands are going to take an unusual amount of battering. One huge factor that I found was that I, like you have small rotors;l which will absalutely cook! Which entail will boil your caliper and fluid, leading to brake fade quite quickly. Advice: Take a bleed kit and a good hand full of pads. I know you said you be hitting the single track but i’d also advise some form of pads too, as you’ve just gotten back into riding and pretty much going to the top of heap with regards of trails. Have a wicked time. Currently too tired of riding it to be jealous. Not really: V jealous!

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I hadn’t thought of spare brake pads, but that’s a very good point, I’ll order in some spares. I had thought of pads though, I’m yet to get some – what do you recommend, knee and elbow? I won’t be going over the top on the trails, my bikes new and I don’t want to damage it πŸ™

A spot of lunch on a Saturday at Mud Dock will be appreciated by your friends – the fact there is a bike jumble outside is a happy coincidence when you feign ignorance upon arrival.

Sounds like a great idea, I can’t say I’ve been there before, but lunch and a jumble sounds like an excellent excuse to go.

andyl

Sammy beat me to the cheesy plug.

Nice bike and +1 on the don’t change the stem. Wider bars would take up some arm length or maybe swap some stem spacers to the top to lower the bars.

karen805

I’ve just booked the Whyte into Zero G (Downend) for it’s first 6 week service and I did speak to the chap on the phone about the stem, so they’re going to go through it with me when I drop it in.

The bars are already quite wide, 680mm (well wide for me) and my stem is 70mm, I was thinking 90mm would suffice?

Maybe I just need to adjust my riding position, coming from a 10 year old Rockhopper which I was perfectly comfortable on, I think the Whyte is a bit of a shock to the system.

I’ll see how I feel about it on the trails this weekend, but my back still hurts from a 16 miles (cycle track) ride on Wednesday πŸ™

FuzzyWuzzy

Longer stem will shift your weight forward and make the steering slower, neither of which is desirable when going down proper downhills (assuming the current weight balance and steering is fine). A shorter reach over an old Rockhopper might not be a bad thing either but could take some getting used to, otherwise you could always look at a layback post (although not my favourite solution given you can’t drop them much).

richc

Did you get a puncture in Leigh Woods around a month ago? and was asking people if they had spares (just up from paradise bottom?)

Solo

Karen805.

Set up really is something you should make time to get right

I guy I knew had himself set-up all wrong. He felt comfortable, but after 9 months he was getting terrible knee pain, etc.

He tried a physio, but that at best was just managing the problem.

It got to the point where he was going to have to give cycling.

I mentioned set-up on his bike and initially he dismissed this idea.

But then a brought a book into work and lent it to him for a week.
    He made the basic set-up changes and went from there.

He rides today and is very grateful I lent him that book.

If you mail me, I will try to dig out a few pages to send over to you, if you feel you need to sort your basic set-up, before you go buying stems and seat posts.

Oh, and welcome to the STW Chaos.

karen805

Did you get a puncture in Leigh Woods around a month ago? and was asking people if they had spares (just up from paradise bottom?)

Hi, no not me.

Karen805.

Set up really is something you should make time to get right

I guy I knew had himself set-up all wrong. He felt comfortable, but after 9 months he was getting terrible knee pain, etc.

He tried a physio, but that at best was just managing the problem.

It got to the point where he was going to have to give cycling.

I mentioned set-up on his bike and initially he dismissed this idea.

But then a brought a book into work and lent it to him for a week.
    He made the basic set-up changes and went from there.

He rides today and is very grateful I lent him that book.

If you mail me, I will try to dig out a few pages to send over to you, if you feel you need to sort your basic set-up, before you go buying stems and seat posts.

Oh, and welcome to the STW Chaos

Thanks for the advice, I’ll see how I get on at the bike shop on the 12 th as theyre going to go through the setup with me. If not a few pages of your book might be helpful.

I’m heading out to Ashton Court in the morning, so wave if you see me!

Karinofnine

Hello. Nice to see another woman. I love your bike, very nice. x

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

karen805, how tall are you?

Can suggest that as you have bought a new bike, and your old one was more than 10 years old, spend time trying to get used to the new riding position. Bike geometry has changed lots, from stretched out and racey to more upright and in control in general.

Can say that when you go to Morzine, you’ll be crying out for a shorter stem, as they give you more control! You may think my advice sounds silly now, but remember what I’ve said, it will all become apparent soon enough… I’ve come from MTBing back in the early 90’s too, when 130mm was a short stem, and now ride MUCH shorter stems overall.

Though, ignore all my advice if the bike you’ve bought is too small for you, suspect it won’t be though as you’ve bought it from a shop…

cplater1

I know I’m jumping in a bit here, but I’ll probably turn up on Monday night for a ride!

don simon

Greetings.

Premier Icon CheesybeanZ
    Subscriber

It’s definately too short not too long, my bum is hanging of the end of the saddle,

this sort of thing 😯

karen805

Hello. Nice to see another woman. I love your bike, very nice. x

Hi, thanks a lot for the welcome. I was hoping there would be other women on here.

karen805, how tall are you?

Can suggest that as you have bought a new bike, and your old one was more than 10 years old, spend time trying to get used to the new riding position. Bike geometry has changed lots, from stretched out and racey to more upright and in control in general.

Can say that when you go to Morzine, you’ll be crying out for a shorter stem, as they give you more control! You may think my advice sounds silly now, but remember what I’ve said, it will all become apparent soon enough… I’ve come from MTBing back in the early 90’s too, when 130mm was a short stem, and now ride MUCH shorter stems overall.

Though, ignore all my advice if the bike you’ve bought is too small for you, suspect it won’t be though as you’ve bought it from a shop…

Hi, I’m 5.5″ on a small (16″) frame, my Spesh was a 17″, I did spend some time measuring the two frames to make sure I got the right size. On the medium the stand over tube was too high, and the small was only a few mm here and there out from the Spesh, so I’m pretty sure I did get the right size and it’s simply the fact that the stem is shorter than what I am used to. Since it’s the general consensus, I’ll stick with the shorter stem. I’m about to head to Ashton Court now πŸ˜†

this sort of thing

Hmm, not really – female, no tattoos and generally wearing some clothes 😈

Solo

I’ll see how I feel about it on the trails this weekend, but my back still hurts from a 16 miles

I had similar when I had the wrong sized frame.

The frame was in effect, too short for me. I bought the next size up of that frame and the back pain went away.

I hope you get your set-up sorted. Nobody is going to ride an uncomfortable bike, which for the sake of set-up, shouldn’t happen.

Keep’em spinnin

πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Hi, I’m 5.5″ on a small (16″) frame, my Spesh was a 17″

Your Spesh was too big for you… FACT! I’m a 5ft 10 1/2 (the half is important) bloke and I ride a 17″ when it comes to Spesh.

That’s why your new bike feels odd, you spent a long time riding the wrong size bike. At 5ft 5 you’re on the right size bike now I’d say.

karen805

Hi everyone.

Well, even after a fairly short ride yesterday, I’m much more comfortable on the bike, even with my short stem!

I think it was down to the saddle, I changed it for a Selle Italia Lady last week as the standard (mens) Whyte one was very uncomfortable. Now my bum is sat where it’s supposed to be (the contour is far more suitable, where as the mens saddle I was pretty much sliding off of), my position on the bike is better – so no more back ache! It still feels a little odd, more of an upright position, but comfortable and I’m sure I’ll get used to it soon enough.

Thanks for all the advice, you were all correct about the stem πŸ˜›

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Newbie from Bristol’ is closed to new replies.