Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Newark to NYC transfer, any advice?
  • mtbmaff
    Free Member

My daughter and friend have booked with Expedia but didn’t add transfer as option, any advice on getting from airport to hotel?

mossimus
    Free Member

Regular transfer buses to Port Authority (midtown) are pretty good value.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Bus to port authority (return ticket is v good value)

UncleFred
    Free Member

Helicopter from the Airport to Downtown. 5 minutes and not as expensive as you would think. Plus you get a great view of the city.

Return is better as you can check in and clear security in the heli terminal rather than join the massive queue at the airport.

Continental also used to do a through tickets, not sure if you still can though.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Thanks for answers so far, couple of questions, any link to those heli flights? Is it true that that taxi trip from Newark to the city is expensive because of crossing districts?

hillsplease

Went NYC to Newark in a cab – $70, part of the turnpike was shut so we found ourselves being given a distinctly alternative route – in a stretch limo. Amusingly strange end to a top weekend. NYC is a place where $70 doesn’t go far – so why not?

olddog

Bus was fine the once we used it, I think we were dropped at Grand Central Station then got a cab to the hotel which was just into the Lower East Side on that trip.

Also used yellow cabs and the NY version of private high (a beat up Lincoln town car) booked for us by the hotel which wasn’t too expensive.

I guess it depends where in Manhattan they are staying and what time they are arriving.

jordie
    Free Member

The train is simple too

russianbob
    Free Member

+1 for the train. Cheap and easy.

tthew

Taxi from the airport is a fixed price, and I think it’s clearly marked on the side of the cab. Seemed quite expensive to me, but then I’m tight and it was quite a long way. It’s not necessarily a fixed price on the way back though, the advice when we went early last year was to get the hotel to book it and ask them to get you the fixed price for the return.

We went on the train return though, not quite as straightforward as London tube, but easy enough and only a few dollars.

alansd1980

Try the super shuttle, its basically a minibus taxi service, pretty cheap and they check your destination so everyone is going in the same direction

allfankledup

Book a limo in advance and make sure it includes toll and tip.

If it was my money and reasonably cool, then train into Penn

Depending on time of year you will lose several hours and a stack of weight in perspiration…..

Stu_N

Newark AirTrain is off at the moment I think (we were there a few weeks ago and it said it was closing May – July for maintenence).

Airport Express bus is quick and good – runs from Grand Central, Bryant Park and West 41st St under the Port Authority terminal so if you’re staying in Midtown it’s ideal. When we got it we were the only people on it and was $16 each, single.

Taxis from Manhattan to Newark are expensive as they cross a state line (New York/ New Jersey) – $70 plus tip and tolls so you’re looking at close to $100, we were told – the concierge in the hotel told us to get the bus.

(The fixed fare is JFK as that is still New York State.)

konabunny
    Free Member

Super Shuttle is slow if you’re not the last to be picked up and the first to be dropped off. With two tickets plus tip you’re not very much less than price of a cab.

Taxi from the airport is a fixed price, and I think it’s clearly marked on the side of the cab.

That’s for JFK only, isn’t it?

OP, what is the exact destination? What time does flight arrive?

I mostly would go on the train to Penn Station and get a cab or subway at the other end: Port Authority Bus Station is pretty nasty…but depending on your destination it may be convenient.

Road options will be BRUTAL at rush hour.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Taxis from Manhattan to Jersey City (just across the water in NJ) are a complete rip off, based on the ‘out of district’ thing so I can well believe they’ll try and sting you for a trip out to newark. Staying on manhattan the taxis are pretty good value.

UncleFred
    Free Member

Thanks for answers so far, couple of questions, any link to those heli flights? Is it true that that taxi trip from Newark to the city is expensive because of crossing districts?

It was on US helicopters, but it looks like they are not flying anymore, i paid $150pp one way, but cheapest i can see now is more than 10 times that.

konabunny
    Free Member

On reflection, I read the other day on the Amtrak website that there was construction going on at either Newark or BWI train stations so you might want to check the train is running on the day.

And if you’re arriving off peak then a link can be quite a fun silly way to go. Please don’t forget to tip you drivers…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Newark to NYC transfer, any advice?’ is closed to new replies.