• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hh45.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New Zealand riding recommendations
  • hh45
    Free Member

I’ve got 3-4 days free during a trip there in January. Can anyone recommend a good 2-4 day mountain bike route on the north island. Preferably the northern half. Something semi remote, say 50-75 km per day, with bike hire would be ideal.

cheers

heebyjeeby

Mbr had quite an extensive article on new Zealand but I think the new copy may have just come out so you may need to go through subs

mrmo
    Free Member

Not sure about multi day, If you think the English access laws are crap…

Might be worth heading towards Taupo/Rototrua. and having a look around there. Not sure if you can do the high level walking routes around Whakapapa?

munrobiker
    Free Member

My favourite multi day ride I did was the Queen Charlotte trail- it’s at the very top of the south island. You can get a cheap ferry from Wellington, arrive at the right port then get a little boat (they’re quite cheap) out to the furthest point and ride back to the big ferry again in 2 or 3 days (depending on how fast you ride).

For the proper north, Rotorua was OK but for me was a bit too “Glentress”- I preferred riding around Taupo, and the stuff from Wellington is also good.

dsb181
    Free Member

Also worth researching rides in the Coromandel.

neiladams
    Free Member

I’d go to Rotorua (Whakarewarewa forest / Red wood) as the trails there are very good with nearby bike hire. Its a trail centre with enough riding for a day. There are some natural rides near Rotorua.

There are a few natural rides relatively nearby at Tongariro. The 42nd Traverse is around 50km. I didn’t think it was that good as it was mostly quad-bike track. Its not a loop so you need collected at the end. John McDonald Loop is close to 42nd traverse.

Craters MTB park at Taupo is also worth a look http://www.biketaupo.org.nz/craters.html. Don’t know of any bike hire there though.

Much further north there is Woodhill Forest North West of Auckland. Its good and there is bike hire and a days worth of riding at this trail centre.

The book “Classic NZ Mountain Bike Rides” by the Kennet Brothers is the best resource.

The access laws are rubbish in NZ compared to UK. MTB’s are not allowed on many paths and there is a lot of privately owned land where MTBs are forbidden by the landowners.

Brainflex

What dates have you got free? What size bike do you ride? I am in WHakatane, near Rotorua, and may be free to take you out for some day rides. There are enough rides to keep you busy for weeks.

oxym0r0n

You can ride back along the road to national park village from 42nd traverse. I liked craters, Vegas and trails around Wellington for different reasons…

Summer hill for an evening ride too!

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Had a few riders from rotorua. Sounds good.

WillH

There aren’t a huge number of long back-country routes. Me and some mates did the Moerangi route recently, it’s only 35km but has some testing climbs. It’s remote, and you’ll need to organise a ride/pick-up there or back. There’s a farmer nearby who’s set up with a bike trailer and van who can do this, a quick google should find his details.

Alternatively you could spend a couple of long days at Rotorua without riding the same bit twice. A lot of it is very trail-centre-ish but it’s through stunning scenery and there are some great outback-type trails out towards Blue Lake and Green Lake.

Taupo is an hour from Rotorua and there are miles of trails at Craters of the Moon, plus a pleasant trail from Craters down to the Aratiatia dam and back up along river to the lake.

Ask on vorb.org, it’s way, way quieter than STW but there may be some locals to give more detailed knowledge or offer to take you out and show you some trails.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For the proper north, Rotorua was OK but for me was a bit too “Glentress”- I preferred riding around Taupo, and the stuff from Wellington is also good.

Did Rotorua for a few weekends while over for work, apart from being really friendly and a great place I enjoyed it. It is a bit like glentress in some ways but with the best bits of heaps of other places all in one place.

Kahurangi

My favourite multi day ride I did was the Queen Charlotte trail- it’s at the very top of the south island. You can get a cheap ferry from Wellington, arrive at the right port then get a little boat (they’re quite cheap) out to the furthest point and ride back to the big ferry again in 2 or 3 days (depending on how fast you ride).

I did it in days with my geriatric in-laws. You’ll finish it in a long day if you’re fit but would have to really push it to get back in time for the ferry shuttle back to Picton.

From Taupo looks up the W2K and K2K trails as a long out-and-back or there are shuttle services.

Also Bridge to Nowhere.

But get the Kennett book.

krag
    Free Member

Wellingtonian here, +1 on the above
    – W2K is a great day ride near Taupo
    – Queen Charlotte Track is ace. Worth noting the first section (roughly 1 of 3 days riding) is closed to bikers during the Summer months, starting from December. Still worth doing the last 2 sections though. Some great trail riding nearby in Nelson too.
    – Trails in and around Welly are great if you’re in the area, bike hire available and friendly locals if you want some shuttles
    – Rotorua as above is awesome, good uplift service too if you want to smash out some DH runs but equally epic all day XC missions

Kahurangi

Realised I missed a key figure from my post above. It took me 3 days to ride the entire length with a pair of 60 yr-olds in tow. We chilled, we pottled and they pushed the climbs.

During the same day/s some mates of mine were dropped off at approx Endeavour Lodge and rode back to the 3 pm (?) water-taxi easily.

krag – if K2K (the next extension of the W2K) open yet? I’ve heard of some really good backcountry near Taupo but I can’t remember the name..

krag
    Free Member

K2k is open but apparently what used to be techie singletrack is now all weather type surface? I’ve only ridden that only W2k.

Just stumbled across nzbybike.com/rides-in-nz/ which looks pretty useful too, tracks.org.nz is the classic resource but this looks a bit more polished.

qwerty
    Free Member

I was in NZ many moons ago, rode a few spots there, rode Rotorua & race at craters of the moon (local backpackers guy organised it), both great. I wouldn’t pass this offer up:

What dates have you got free? What size bike do you ride? I am in WHakatane, near Rotorua, and may be free to take you out for some day rides. There are enough rides to keep you busy for weeks.

Local knowledge around there would be great. Plus, being a Kiwi they’ll probably want to take you home, feed you & put you up for a bit!

Brainflex

K2K is all weather track, it has been extended up to the main road from Kawakawa bay as well. Most of the new stuff being built is all weather tracks. No techie stuff. BOO! However DOC is opening walking tracks so there are some great stuff there, Rainbow Mountain, Western Okatiana Walkway etc.

PS I aint a Kiwi.

hh45
    Free Member

Thanks all, really appreciate the help.

Brainflex – appreciate the offer but I don’t yet know my dates and will probably leave you in peace but appreciate the generosity!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New Zealand riding recommendations’ is closed to new replies.