• This topic has 32 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cbike.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • New Zealand – North island trip ideas please
  • stewartc
    Free Member

So, the wife and myself are off to NZ for 8 days in early December, the plan is to stay in Auckland for the first and last 2 nights so I am looking for some trip ideas that revolve around some hiking and general sightseeing.
    Looking to head across to Rotorua as part of the plan and possibly stay near there for 2 days so recommendations please for stuff to see/stay on the way and back(I will have a car)?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Maybe some locals can help but the roto drive was fairly dull. The hobbit village is out there though. Last advice was you won’t have time to go north and out to roto. There is a weeks worth of riding in the area. Rainbow mountain is now shuttled, I’d aim for a shuttle day in the redwoods as it simply expands the riding scope it’s not a dh/enduro exclusive shuttle. Hot pools and mud baths are around. Where are you flying from as jet lag on day 1 is a pain. Not sure on that many days in Auckland too, it’s a city. Not that much I found going on.

I’ll probably be back in a few months and again in April. But those are work or biking trips.

antennae
    Free Member

As mikewsmith says, if you’ve only got 8 days, I’d hotfoot it out of Auckland pronto 🙂

Not too much of interest in between Auckland and Rotovegas as far as I know but if you continue south you’ve got Taupo and Tongariro National Park/Mt Ruapehu.

Rainbow Mountain followed by a dip in Kerosene Creek is one of my favourite rides ever. It’s about 20 mins south of Roto on highway 5 to Taupo.

In Rotorua, Whakarewarewa (Redwoods) is amazing and every time I go I’ve ridden for so long that I literally couldn’t hang on to the bars by the end of the day 🙂 You can also try the new trails accessed by the Skyline gondola (haven’t ridden those, but watched Crankworx there, and they look fun).

Have you considered doing a point to point and finishing in Wellington? There’s some great riding and hiking to be had there (not to mention coffee, craft beer, and fun sightseeing shenanigans…).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

We got warned about car thefts around Kerrosene and the Rainbow carpark so just watch out, about ten mins further south there are some more hot rivers. Just ask a local…

stewartc
    Free Member

Cheers for the feedback, no riding on this trip but I am planning to visit the Rotorua area as some recce for a possible 2016 trip, have the wife with me so its cultural, hiking and no fun 🙂

vinnyeh

I’m a South Islander, but did work on Ruapehu for a couple of years so feel well qualified to talk about the North Island…. 🙂

Do the Tongariro crossing. In one day that’ll cover off your hiking requirement.

I hate Rotorua, and reckon you’re wasting valuable time on a short trip by going there. Obviously millions of others don’t.
    Coromandel Peninsular and Bay of Islands are lovely, but a bit out of the way and, again, time consuming for a short visit.

I wouldn’t bother with Auckland, like said above it’s another big city. Get a connecting flight back there from the South Island on the day you fly out of the country. If you still want to spend your time there or have other reasons to stay, Waiheke Island is worth a visit.

To be honest, I’d just get down south as quickly as possible.
    Don’t underestimate the time you’ll spend travelling in NZ. It’s a bit bigger, and a lot slower getting around, than you’d think.

piha
    Free Member

It’s been a while since I’ve been but the Coromandel is a nice place to visit and Hot Water Beach is fun.
    Piha beach is a favourite of mine – http://www.piha.co.nz – and is only about 40kms out of Auckland. The surrounding Waitakere Ranges have a number of good walks.
    Auckland has a number of interesting islands and many are worth a visit, maybe a trip to Rangitoto and walk to the summit.

jimdubleyou

If you’ve never been before, the Northland is a good overnight trip.

Drive up to Paihia, do a hole in the rock tour and have a look around the treaty grounds at Waitangi on day one then have a look at 90 Mile beach and the Kauri forest on day two.

Back in Auckland in time for supper.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah if your not riding I’d not bother with roto, it will just be frustrating as for doing a recce it takes about 10mins to work out what to do.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

We used http://www.newzealand.com to plan our trip in 2006, along with an up to date rough/lonely planet guide.
    Once you start looking you will have far to much on your wish list.

We enjoyed the Coromandel, and especially the Tongariro Crossing which is supposed to be one of the best one day hikes in the southern hemisphere.
    Taupo is nice and where you can skydive for cheap.
    Nelson may be too far for you to travel, but is really interesting.

Want to go back, but with a new addition to the family on the way, it may be some time 😥 . Enjoy.

Kahurangi

8 days isn’t much, I wouldn’t waste time driving up to the far North. Have some days flexible and do the Toronto Alpine crossing on a good day. Day shuttling in Rotorua. Make sure you do the trails known as ‘the natives’. They start with a short climb up from the shuttle drop off. Especially Kutore. Especially if it’s wet 😈 Don’t be swayed by the Rotorua gondola.

Lots of good thermal stuff around Rotovegas. You can camp at Waikite Valley hot springs for only a couple fo dollars more than day entry to the pools. You get access for both days and exclusive early access on the morning you wake up.

Coromandel is kinda pretty.

lunge

Agree re. Rotorua, I didn’t really like it at all.
    Taupo is well worth a visit, the Tongariro Crossing is stunning and well worth doing. Do a sky dive whilst you’re there too!
    Coromandel is awesome too, well worth a visit.
    I kind of liked Auckland, though I’d say you could do the main of it in 2 days.
    Hamilton too is worth a night, quite a nice little town.

Edit, forgot all about Napier, nice place that too. Avoid Hastings though, dive of a place and nothing there at all.

Danny79
    Free Member

If it was me I’d be splitting my time between Rotovegas and Gisborne- parents live there plus good surf.

Culture wise Napier in Hawkes Bay might interest town is Art Deco was rebuilt after earthquake might tick the right boxes for the wife. Some weekends they do classic car rallies with people decked out in clothes of the era. Also puts you in striking distance of various wineries.

sputnik
    Free Member

Rotorua stinks.

scandal42
    Free Member

Love NZ

North Island has lots to offer. Recommend a sky dive and the crossing. I quite liked Rotorua, particularly the Polynesian spa on the lakes edge at night.

Hamilton for a good coffee

hels
    Free Member

It is “THE North Island”. It doesn’t have a name, unless you want to learn the Maori one.

We didn’t just name them North Island and South Island. We aren’t Australians !

There is loads of great stuff to do in the North Island – I will fly the flag for Wellington, no trip to NZ is complete without seeing Te Papa, the Museum of New Zealand. I did the Tongariro crossing last time I was back, well worth the money for the transport. (it isn’t in the Coromandel as posted above, it is in the centre near lake Taupo)

damion
    Free Member

I’d +1 everything everyone said above.

Last time we went to visit the inlaws we spent a week cruising round the coromandels in their MGB GT. The Karikari peninsula was beautiful, but possibly not worth the time lost sat in traffic getting through Auckland.

The White Island volcano tour was well worth the money, plus we were lucky enough to see some whales and dolphins on the way out.

Staying in a BB on Ohope beach was a highlight for me because of the surf.

Shameless Plug: Vintage & Classic Car Hire if you fancy driving round in your not so standard hire car.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

D’oh. Meant Napier, not Nelson.
    Also didn’t mean to say the Tongariro crossing was on the Coromandel, just it was something that you really must do if you get the chance.

Must wake up before posting 😀

BTW we enjoyed Rotorua. The Polynesian Spa, Zorbing, jet boat ride. Wished I had got out on the bike though.

scandal42
    Free Member

Wellington is ace as is the museum mentioned above.

granny
    Free Member

My partner is a North Islander kiwi so I’ve been lucky with some extended holidays to NZ. Personally, I rate the Taranaki district. Some great art and culture in New Plymouth. Fantastic surf beaches and coastal scenery. Great hiking on Mount Taranaki / Egmont. Probably about a 3 hour drive from Aukland / Rotoroa

Markie
    Free Member

Heading through Paeroa to see the giant L&P bottle was considered a pretty good time when I was a kid. Pokeno is the town to visit for ice cream – I remember us in my uncle’s Holden a mile out of town and cruising slowly past the cars pulled up on the verge hoping one would pull out so that we could grab a park – ace! Hot Water Beach for some low key relaxing?

On rereading, these seem perhaps a touch parochial, but I’ll be doing each of them when family Markie heads back over!

BillOddie

8 days? I spent 4 months there on an extended break and I felt I was rushing!

:Runs off to look at photos of my trip on Flickr:

Coromandel is a good shout. Lovely spot.

Tongariro crossing too. We did the Tongariro Northern Circuit (4 days) which includes the Crossing on the first day and it’s a good hike, just a bit crowded.
    The Bay of Islands is nice, you can do overnight cruises, with night sea kayaking, fishing, snorkeling and refreshing beverages.

Taranaki is bloody beautiful.

If you like wine the area north of Wellington is chock full of wineries.

Rotorua is good if you like geological stuff and want to see some (possibly touristy) Maori culture.

yunki
    Free Member

Go to Whangarei and do the ace new town walking loop..
    It’s about a kilometre, through an industrial area, and goes over the new bridge (which won an award)

amazing

(don’t really do that.. if by some stroke of misfortune you do end up in Whangarei, go to the Butter Factory to get drunk on nice beer and take in some music)

Pigface
    Free Member

The Giant L&P bottle has to the the highlight of anyones trip 😆

Kiwi drivers are a bit special 😯

ransos
    Free Member

Do the Tongariro crossing. In one day that’ll cover off your hiking requirement.

+1, it’s stunning and there’s time to do the side walk up “Mt Doom” if you get your skates on. We had a great time up in the Bay of Islands – diving, swimming with dolphins, but not sure you’ll have time.

woody74

We found Auckland pretty dull and like most large cities. I would hot foot it out. Wellington on the other hand is much nicer and as the capital there is loads more to do, like the national museum.

If you are driving around the best thing in the world is to hire one of there: http://www.krusenz.com Totally made our holiday as it plays commentary about the local area that you are driving through and also history of New Zealand and Maori culture. It has to be one of the best products I have ever come across and you end up learning a ton about the country just as you drive. The level of detail and history was just spot on and and not something you would get from guide books unless you had your head in a book for the whole drive.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If you are going near Taranaki as recommended above I have family with a small farm who also rent out cabins for you to stay in. Let me know if you want details

specusuk
    Free Member

Rotorua is great – mud volcanoes in the local park, hot springs, Maori culture. Hire a canoe and padle across Lake Tarawera to a wild campsite heated by hot springs. If you are down that way, I would also recommend a day or two in Waitomo for the glow worm caves. Auckland is a nice city to spend some time in, get a feel for the place and see how the Kiwis live. Get a trip to Rangitoto Island, or go on a racing yacht. Lots do do there.

yunki
    Free Member

The beaches on the Tutukaka coast are beautiful.. A trip to the Poor Knights Islands marine reserve is a must if you’re up that way

piha
    Free Member

No visit to Auckland would be complete without a trip to the Otara flea market, south Auckland’s finest retail/leisure destination……

stewartc
    Free Member

Cheers for the info, sadly the trip will be short but with your feedback I should be able to knock-up a reasonably itinerary that ticks a few boxes.

WillH

Auckland’s pretty dull. Get up early, head up to Paihia for a couple of nights. If you time it right, stop in at Matakana on the way up on market day. Nice little posh arty/crafty market. Good for a wander round. From Paihia get the ferry over to Russell for an afternoon, lovely little town. Do a boat trip or kayak trip in the Bay of Islands. Back to Auckland on SH16 via the Kauri forests (what’s left of them) on the west coast, including the Kauri museum.

Then I’d head to Rotorua, a 3-4hr drive. Te Puia is good, it’s pricey but you get to see some good geothermal activity and some ‘authentic’ Maori experiences. It’s cheesy but quite good if you’ve never seen anythign of that sort before. They also have a school on site where people train in traditional Maori carving (wood, pounamu, stone) weaving etc. and you can watch them. Quite interesting. Waimangu Valley is also good, but also pricey. You could always just wander through Kuirau Park in the town, it’s free and they have lots of bubbling mud pools 🙂

From there head down to National Park for a couple of nights to do the Tongariro Crossing. All the accommodation providers can set you up with transport to and from the start/end points. It’s a long-ish but non-technical walk. Need to be prepared for changeable weather up top, it’s very exposed. It’s absolutely stunning though, I’ve done it twice and rate it as one of the best trips I’ve done in 7.5 years here.

If Tongariro is too far, try the Pinnacles walk from Thames (on the Coromandel). Hot Water Beach is good too, all you do is sit in a puddle on the beach with a bunch of strangers, but is worth a visit for the novelty value.

cbike
    Free Member

It’s not the same since “Fantasy land” and the “Toot’n whistle” closed. 🙁 😆

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘New Zealand – North island trip ideas please’ is closed to new replies.