Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New York with kids
  • jkomo

Any tips?
    Off to NY with kids, boys 11 and 8 for wedding.
    Central Park zoo, Empire State Building, but what else?
    Cheers

easygirl

The museum is great, and the roof terrace has stunning views of the city
    The Staten Island ferry is exciting for kids , and is free
    Ice skating in the park, depending on when you are going
    Horse and carriage ride around the park
    Walk over brooklyn bridge around sunset, then into grimaldis pizza

jkomo

Going next month.
    Walking Brooklyn bridge, awesome, I’d forgotten about this.
    Metropolitan – yep, another good one, my sis worked there for a bit as an intern, but I’ve never been.
    Thanks

easygirl

The met will be great for kids, its massive, but a flying visit would be just as good
    I was blown away by the roman jewellery, just stunning
    The roof terrace is fabulous
    If you go up the Empire State, when you get to the top, have a good look round there is a little door that leads to another lift that takes you up another 5 floors or so, right to the top, they don’t tell people about this, but its a nice little extra

jkomo

We’ve done the Empire State before, but not that bit, thanks, great tip.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Circle Line boat tours
    Statue of Liberty / Ellis Island (you might skip this if you do a circle line tour as the boats go up to the statue I recall)
    FAO Swartz (Toy store on 5th very near the bottom corner of the park)
    Times Square (inc Disney store etc)
    Find a cool diner – there are lots throughout the city
    Central Park and the “local crowd” is pretty entertaining on a sunny weekend

The city is very safe these days and it’s quite easy to walk around, it shouldn’t be too hot next month

zippykona

Very useful , going tomorrow. 😀

voodoo_simon
    Free Member

Johns pizza place off Times Square is well worth a visit

konabunny
    Free Member

Hands on science museum place in New Jersey.

Drop them off for a sports day at Chelsea Piers. Batting cages (if they’re still there) on the west side.

Bronx Zoo instead of Central Park mini zoo?

Dave and Busters.

Police Museum.

Use Barnes and Noble as place to have lunch and grab some air conditioned quiet(er) time.

Go to Met, pay what you want, don’t attempt to drag your kids around everything but “pop in” for an hour to a specific room or area.

Go to a baseball match at Brooklyn Cyclones in Coney Island.

sandal100

I preferred the Rockafella tower as that gives you a good view of the Empire State Building. Also, see what’s on at Madison square gardens, basketball may be playing at home and also the Yankees may be at home too. Although I’m not entirely sure when the seasons start and end so one or both may not be playing!

easygirl

Coney Island, that’s great, bit of a underground ride, but good fun for the kids

scotsman
    Free Member

USS Intrepid, my kids loved it, and so did I.

unovolo
    Free Member

DUMBO on the opposite side of the Brooklyn bridge,nice vintage carousel there to ride on.

zippykona

How much does the tacky horse and cart ride through central park cost?

zippykona

Double double post post

easygirl

Can’t remember, but not extortionate, and they will take a picture of you all on your own camera
    I find its things like that kids tend to remember, although I agree its a bit tacky

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Johns pizza place off Times Square is well worth a visit

Amen!

The Met is sublime. Simply sublime. Go there.

konabunny
    Free Member

See if there’s anything for kids at Lincoln Centre.

Movies.

What are your kids into?

High line walkway is a good afternoon.

plumber
    Free Member

Natural history museum which ties in niceLy with a night at the museum movies if its for kids

jkomo

Film wise, the boys are into the usual stuff. Iron Man etc.
    Natural History museum is a great idea- they loved Night in the Museum.
    Cheers all, some fab ideas.
    I also have some biking questions, but I’ll save it for a new thread.

Flaperon

* Natural History Museum.
    * USS Intrepid (and Concorde, and Enterprise).
    * Walk the old overhead railway (www.thehighline.org).
    * There’s a giant M&M’s store near Times Square.
    * Grand Central Station.
    * Breakfast in Pershing Square Cafe, directly opposite the entrance to Grand Central, under the bridge).

If you’re with kids, don’t try to public transport your way in from the airport. The NY subway and trains aren’t the most obvious to use, so with tired kids, luggage, and commuters it might all end in tears. Taxis to Manhatten are fixed charge at about £40.

Speaking of the subway, use cash in the machines. They throw tantrums and occasionally make multiple charges on UK credit cards, which leads to the bank mistakenly blocking the card. If it asks for a ZIP code when you buy the ticket, put in 99999.

jkomo

Overhead railway, another one I’d forgotten, it wasn’t done last time I was there. Ace

tomaso
    Free Member

South Street Sea Port was good, er when I was a kid…

Going to see a movie was a highlight for me for the full on American experience – I was 10 and got to see a double bill of Police Academy and National Lampoons Vacation :mrgreen: Giant pizza afterwards.

surfer
    Free Member

I’ll bookmark this thread as I am hoping to go to NY next year to run the Marathon (I will have just turned 50 and if things go to plan hope to run a decent time for an old duffer)

Its looking very pricey though particularly with 2 teenagers in tow!

BillMC

I prefer Williamsburg Bridge to Brooklyn Bridge as it wobbles and Williamsburg is a very interesting/cool place. Lots of cyclists use the W bridge too.

Eat at ‘Fish’ on Bleecker Street and then drink in the Blind Tiger directly opposite. Bliss. Breakfast at Amy’s Bakery.

For adults Greenwich Village is infinitely preferable to all that uptown shopping and towers.

Oh and buy incredibly cheap jeans and Carhartt stuff at Dave’s on Avenue of the Americas (check it out online)

BillMC

Also keep your costs down by doing it AiRBnB.

surfer
    Free Member

AiRBnB

???

zippykona

New York update….its effing freezing.
    Just discovered there’s a blackbird on the Intrepid. I’m going to touch it in an entirely inappropriate manner.

jkomo

Another:

BillMC

AirBnB is a website where people offer accomodation from couch surfing to renting complete apartments. It gives you an immediate local link, gives you the opportunity of ‘eating in’ if you so wish and is cheaper than hotels (plus all the tipping etc). I’ve done it twice (5th Avenue and West 4th) and would not consider any alternatives now.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New York with kids’ is closed to new replies.