Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New York Break
  • doomanic

Which are the best areas to stay in NYC for a short break?
    Can anyone recommend some good hotels that aren’t horrendously expensive?

jsync

I’d say Midtown, South of Times Square, around 43rd. Can’t recommend a cheap one though, sorry.

What I can say though is don’t go in a hurricane (Oct) or a snow storm (Feb). Like we did…

frankconway

Long Island City and use the subway.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Midtown Manhattan is a good start if it’s your first trip. You are close to lots of the places you would want to visit and the subway can get you to the rest.

I’m not sure you will find a cheap hotel in that area but there are some deals if you look around. Alternatively look at Brooklyn.

BillMC

My preference would be anywhere near Greenwich/west village so you’re on your own doorstep for evening music and bars etc (Blind Tiger and Fish on Bleecker are ace) and the best bridge to walk over is Williamsburg. Problem is the hotels are not in the village so it’s AirBnB.

surfer
    Free Member

We went 2 yrs ago (I got to run the 5th avenue mile which was a dream of mine) Found travel and accommodation not too expensive and we managed to book somewhere that does breakfast which is not too common.
    We spent 4 days walking and travelling the subway to see as much as we could. It was a great family trip and we absolutely loved it.
    Downside for me was the price of food. A friend told me there arent many places to eat. I dismissed them but they were right. There are unlimited restaurants but we found them all to be very expensive and really struggled to find anything at a reasonable price. Some smaller take away type places but evening meal for 4 adults was very expensive.

BillMC

Eric’s Salad in Fish is $14, masses of perfect tuna. Some over there might see it as a starter, I see it as a feast I struggle to finish.

santacoops
    Free Member

We went in September, weather was great, stayed in a relatively cheap Hilton Garden Inn on W28th between 7th and 6th. Theres two or three similar hotels there that were reasonably priced (booked them about 4 weeks in advance), not sure about now.

Staying on 28th felt like it was walkable to trade center and walkable to central park so pretty bang in the middle for us. Greenwich was a short walk for the evenings. Certainly didn’t feel like a “break” though. An experience, yes.

rsl1
    Free Member

I don’t know what the price differences are but I’d definitely be looking at Brooklyn to see if I could save money. I stayed top end of Broadway and ended up on the subway to get pretty much anywhere anyway (even between sights, ignoring the hotel) you’ll be buying a 5 day pass or whatever so won’t cost any more in travel.

Don’t choose a hotel for its breakfast, go out and get bagels you’re in new York after all 😉 I have a food visits idea list approaching 50 strong to share if you need (relatively) inexpensive food inspiration…

petec
    Free Member

we stayed here https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/en-uk/tryp/new-york-city-new-york/tryp-new-york-city-times-square-south/overview

decent enough room for four of us, lovely bagel spot nearby. Good bar for the RWC final, etc etc

close enough to everything, easy to get to from the airport etc

nothing is cheap. Take more money

doomanic

Thanks all.

Can anyone help with bars? Specifically, one of the party will be under 21, is she out of luck?

tonyg2003

You will really struggle to get anyone under 21 a drink. It’s really not worth it for the potential hassle. They take under age drinking very seriously over there.

doomanic

Not too fussed about the drinking, more the access to the night life.

tuboflard

Stopped twice at Arlo Soho in the last two trips to NYC. They’ve started doing free beer and wine happy hour for residents too which is a real bonus. And a nice location to get to most sights but not at all manic on the doorstep.

Happy to recommend restaurants and bars round there if you need them. Le Poisson Rouge is a great venue for live music nearby.

dantsw13

If you want nightlife stay in Brooklyn. It’s where all the young hip crowd that can’t afford Manhattan live.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New York Break’ is closed to new replies.