Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • New Yeti SB5.5c
  • STATO
    Free Member

Also.

Going 1x lets Yeti take the chainstays down to 437mm, which isn’t too shabby at all.

Err, the Jeffsy is 435mm on the medium and small and still has space for a double chainset should you wish. Not sure how clearance compares but yeti were always typically tight.

bigjim

I love how everyone is arguing about it not being long and low when they haven’t claimed it is long and low

I mean look at these numbers

thepodge
    Free Member

bigjim – I love how everyone is arguing about it not being long and low when they haven’t claimed it is long and low

From the STW first ride review thing

bears all the usual hallmarks of the Thoroughly Modern Filly (sorry) – it is, of course, Boost, it’s long, low and slack with short chainstays:

STATO
    Free Member

bigjim – Member

I love how everyone is arguing about it not being long and low when they haven’t claimed it is long and low

You’ve a P and you didn’t read the article!? They’ll be doing something unspeakable to your next delivered mag 😀

It’s light – with this spec (and an ENORMOUS 1300g Minion DHF 2.5 up front which Barney and Rich both desperately want) it comes in around the 28.5lb mark, and it bears all the usual hallmarks of the Thoroughly Modern Filly (sorry) – it is, of course, Boost, it’s long, low and slack with short chainstays

bigjim

I was meaning Yeti themselves haven’t claimed it is long and low. Rather than trying to get too extreme with the new bike’s numbers, Chris Conroy, Yeti’s president, said that one of the goals was to make the bike into a little more of an all-rounder compared to the race-bred SB6

made in the US where its sunny and at worst a bit dusty. A few months in the UK winter and the bearings will wobbly then fall out.

The bearings on my US designed Transition have been fantastically resistant to Scottish year round riding, I’ve just had mine changed after a solid year’s riding though they weren’t too bad.

legend
    Free Member

The bearings on my US designed Transition have been fantastically resistant to Scottish year round riding, I’ve just had mine changed after a solid year’s riding though they weren’t too bad.

Transition have always made a point of building frames that don’t collect mud, have sturdy bearings, are easy to work on and so on. Not sure I’d say the same about Yeti?

LAT

Enduro…

I’m pretty sure for a mainstream maker, specialized have always had low BBs and been on the longer side of things. Some may consider them innovative. The Enduro 29er caused a stir when it appeared.

Describing a bike as being long, low and slack is another way of saying it has contemporary geometry. I’m not sure it is intended to suggest that the bike as at the forefront of developments. There will always be bikes available that take things further, as well as those that are more conservative, perhaps even some that find a formula that works and is somewhere between those three.

rhayter

I mean look at these numbers

Perfect. Where do I buy one?

thepodge
    Free Member

Describing a bike as being long, low and slack is another way of saying it has contemporary geometry.

I totally get this but do we really need top be told that a contemporary bike has contemporary geometry?

bigjim

Transition have always made a point of building frames that don’t collect mud, have sturdy bearings, are easy to work on and so on. Not sure I’d say the same about Yeti?

Having owned both I’d say mud clearance is is pretty similar, neither amazing, Transition has slightly better chainstay clearance than the ASR5 perhaps but on the Transition the tyre is very close/rubs the seatstay bridge depending on the tyre, so is very poor/non existant there.

I’m not sure what a sturdy bearing is, rolling element bearings are rolling element bearings, they both use very similar sizes of bearing as I’m sure the newer Yetis do too. Fairly sure Yetis come with Enduro Max bearings.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its a Yeti, it will sell because its a Yeti – great branding irrespective of the actual product.

Plus Rudi will own the EWS again and all us Enduro wannabies will assume its the bike.

Still, its way too expensive.

STATO
    Free Member

I’m not sure what a sturdy bearing is, rolling element bearings are rolling element bearings, they both use very similar sizes of bearing as I’m sure the newer Yetis do too. Fairly sure Yetis come with Enduro Max bearings.

Hope they are better than this experience, bearing change after 400km (1 winters riding).

barney
    Free Member

*rolls eyes*

OK. You can still get bikes which are short and steep, believe it or not. The long, low, steep thing is a modern development I’m hugely keen on, it still works for the majority of people, but not everyone cleaves to it – or if they do they have different interpretations.

I totally get this but do we really need top be told that a contemporary bike has contemporary geometry?

Well, I’ve got to write something. Would you rather I just said “Yeti has released a new bike. Here’s a link”? LLS is a shorthand. I assume most of the readers know what it means, and to take the numbers on their own merit – I did, after all, provide a geometry chart so you can make your own minds up.
    If you read further down the article, by the way, I mention that it’s not actually all that long. I mean ‘long, but not that long’ – what does that even mean anyway?

I guess you’ll just have to figure it out.

rhayter

The replacement set has covered 600km so far and still feel smooth.

rOcKeTdOg

In contrast I don’t think it’s pretty at all, looks like it’s been out in the Californian sun too long to me

Kryton57

Nearly 7 grand…..get a grip

This.

I was reading the glowing review of the Anthem advances the other day whereby the text stating it was perfect for “aspiring racers”. The bike they were reviewing was £5999 rrp.

Apologies if we aspiring racers don’t all rush out an buy one.

bigjim

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

OK. You can still get bikes which are short and steep, believe it or not

Yes, but can you still get full suspension Yetis that are ‘short and steep’ – and not weird XC racing 29ers?

My Yeti ASR5c is pretty much the best bike in the world eva (for me). And I’m a total Yeti fann boi (love that turquiose – it matches my Fakelys, natch). When, if(?), it dies, what will I ride???

Nada, zilch. It will simply all be over for me.. 😉

I’m interested in fast, flowy riding, not Gnar-Enduro-War-Mongery. Sad that this is simply not where the coal face is now – for premium brands like Yeti, as this bike evidences. Beautiful as it is to look at.. 😎

Well, I’ve got to write something

This should be the Singletrack mission statement.. 😉

(Apologies! – I’ll get my coat)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Nice bike but I don’t know why you were riding the girls version?

chrismac

Also.

Going 1x lets Yeti take the chainstays down to 437mm, which isn’t too shabby at all.
    Err, the Jeffsy is 435mm on the medium and small and still has space for a double chainset should you wish. Not sure how clearance compares but yeti were always typically tight.

I suspect what they really mean is that they cant fit the front mech, normal length chainstays and the complicated tubes for the bottom pivot in so have understandably ditched the ability to use a front mech

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I do wish they’d go back to building alu bikes though (unless they have, and I missed it!) for those of us that don’t covet carbon.
    It is a stunning looking bike, aesthetically similar to the Evil Wreckoning, which is also lush, but dear as well.

STATO
    Free Member

chrismac – Member

I suspect what they really mean is that they cant fit the front mech, normal length chainstays and the complicated tubes for the bottom pivot in so have understandably ditched the ability to use a front mech
    [/quote]

Which is probably the sort of insightful and knowledgeable thing barney should have said given he was struggling to fill the space 😆

bigjim

The 650 SB bikes have a front mech mount I think. Wanting a front mech mount these days is like wanting a floppy disk drive on your computer though!

but can you still get full suspension Yetis that are ‘short and steep’ – and not weird XC racing 29ers?

My Yeti ASR5c is pretty much the best bike in the world eva (for me).

Since when did an ASR5 become short and steep?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

It’s short(er) and steep(er) than all this new Enduro-rollocks-650b-plus-29er-and-a-quarter-malarkey. I don’t know all the numbers, but I’m pretty sure it is.

69 deg head angle for starters.

Unless I’m desperately mistaken.

In which case my older current steed would be bang on trend – still – woo! 😆

alextemper
    Free Member

Be interesting to see how it stacks up long term. Funny the Hightower is being used as a bench mark given it’s only just been released recently as well. Trek Remedy 9.9 29er is still the dark horse and proven in this category at the moment
    plus some winning pedigree.

thepodge
    Free Member

I think the Hightower is only being used as a benchmark as it’s the most recently released comparable bike.

bigjim

It’s short(er) and steep(er) than all this new Enduro-rollocks-650b-plus-29er-and-a-quarter-malarkey. I don’t know all the numbers, but I’m pretty sure it is.

69 deg head angle for starters.

Unless I’m desperately mistaken.

In which case my older current steed would be bang on trend – still – woo!

67 head angle at 140 fork length. Nothing ‘wrong’ with it, still have mine in a box 8)

takisawa2

Cracking swing arm.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I stand corrected then! My bike is still da awesumz.. 😎

Northwind

STATO – Member

All the numbers are very very similar to the Jeffsy. Put a 140mm fork on the Yeti and they would probably be even closer.

Yup, it’s almost like they both copied the same bikes from a couple of years ago. 😆

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Gnar-Enduro-War-Mongery

Haven’t got a clue what that is but can I have some to try please

PJM1974
    Free Member

I must be turning into a right curmudgeon. I like 29ers, especially in longish travel trail guise (I’ve a Stumpy Evo which is ace). However, reading down the list of potential bikes has thrown up a number of objections:

Jeffsy – That awful marketing campaign, so it’s a no from me.
    Yeti – Not for £4k, let alone £7k.
    Nukeproof Mega – Looks nice, but the logos are a bit MBUK. The name is very MBUK, so I’m out.
    Smuggler – I actually really like it. But “Smuggler” sounds cack.
    Wreckoning – Don’t Evil have an issue with warranties? First sniff of warranty knobbishness and I’m out.

I do quite like Specialized bikes though…

bigjim

Smuggler – I actually really like it. But “Smuggler” sounds cack.

seems a strange selection criteria for bike selection. It only says smuggler on a tiny sticker inside the seat stay so even though it isn’t very visible you could easily remove it if that makes things better

PJM1974
    Free Member

Told you I was being curmudgeonly!

In truth, I really really like the frame, especially in Safety Orange.

bigjim

hopefully a carbon smuggler will come out soon to stop me trying to save up for the yeti…

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve just been googling, I take back my slur. It’s a really stunning looking frame.

Northwind

@PJM- remedy, five, trailfox, nicolai ion.

(recommending what I have!) I have the cheapest, all-alu Trailfox; it’s a bit of a lump, the original parts on it were weird and I don’t like all the antisquat much but the handling’s otherwise superb and the sizing’s great. And it was cheap! 😆 Draped in my carbons and CCDB and that it is really excellent.

And I’ve just picked up a Remedy, it’s a bit wee but if you go up a size it’s similiar dimensions to the Trailfox- steeper but a little longer. Testrode one of these a while back, dead keen to see what I can do with it. Never ridden an Ion. The Five impressed me too but I’ve never found one at the right price…

If you’re under about 5’11 then here’s what you can get instead of half a yeti…
    https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-trailfox-tf01-xx1-2015-mountain-bike-EV205314

And remember kids- 29ers are no fun and can’t go round corners. Lew Buchanan at work:

http://www.facebook.com/jacobgibbins/videos/10156750110635273/

charliemort

Pyga stage max £2250 frame only looks quite good value nowadays

mindmap3
    Free Member

I think it’s a pretty bike, but that’s a lot of money but that seems to be the way these days. The companies get away with it because you see a fair few plastic Santa Cruz’s around with Enve rims etc.

thepodge
    Free Member

I don’t have a problem with the price, I’d never pay it but I’m happy for other people to pay it if they want.

I really like the look of the frames, especially in the grey colour.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘New Yeti SB5.5c’ is closed to new replies.