• This topic has 177 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 178 total)
  • New Years Winchester Ride
  • MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

We will mark the course in advance so everyone can enjoy the ride at their own pace.

Is there a prize for the first to finish?

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Is there a prize for the first to finish?

Make sure my pint is on the bar!

AndyRT
    Free Member

Prizes? What more do you need than a pint of beer and a mince pie?

Taff
    Free Member

I will be able to make this now the start time has been pushed back. taff, you live near havant iirc? So do I so maybe we could sort out a car share (happy for it to be mine)

Yeah I live ‘between Havant and Rowland Castle’. Car share sounds good – thanks for that. Don’t mind who drives, I’m pretty easy.

deviant
    Free Member

This sounds fun, count me in too.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

What more do you need than a pint of beer and a mince pie?

Another pint of beer and a mince pie.

AndyRT
    Free Member

ROLL CALL:
    Andyrt ….yes (+2)
    Underthewood…..yes (+2)
    Tomthumb…..yes
    Ciderinsport….yes (plus hordes of unknown riders)
    MulletusMaximus….yes
    Stimpy….?
    Taff…..yes
    Midatlantic……?
    Mostly balanced…..yes
    Dobo……?
    Frogstomp….?
    Slimjim78……..?
    Android……?
    40mpg……yes
    Jimmers…….yes
    Singletrackmind…..?
    Worldclassaccident……?
    Matbee…….yes
    Tod456…….?
    Rusty trowel…..probably
    Markend….gets points for trying…
    29erKeith……..yes
    Brack…..yes
    Deviant……yes
    Others?????
    CG…..(in spirit)….get well very soon!
    I would currently suggest the choice of Trailraker/mudx to be sure only to lose traction most of the time. You’ve just got to love chalk

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I admit, I mix with some who don’t know the power of STW 😳

However they do like a ride that involves a pub stop! Is there a half way stop option??

campfreddie
    Free Member

i’m in for that… i will be coming up from the New Forest with ‘mid-atlantic’ and possibly one or two others…

🙂

dobo
    Free Member

i’ll be there, just having a dilema as whether to ride 9miles to st cross or not.. any chance of pinging me the route as i might ride there then branch off at the nearest point to home unless of course the nearest point is at the start of the ride then ill mtfu.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

dobo, were do you live? I’m coming from Andover and if you’re on my route then I could pick you up on the way?

ciderinsport
    Free Member

A bunch of us riding up from the Totton area…..

spikyjames
    Free Member

Remember me on the roll call, hopefully I’ll be there.

James

dobo
    Free Member

thanks for the offer Mulletus, i am sort of on the way as im in wonston but i have 4 wheels so i have the option to drive. i think i’ll just decide on the morning, and if ride in and im wooped try blag a lift off you on the way back lol 😉

spikyjames
    Free Member

DOBO, I’m down in Worthy Down, if you’re planning on biking over (which I am if I can make it) give me a shout, I’m sure we could meet up on your way past.

AndyRT
    Free Member

I will post the route tonight after going to the panto 🙂
    Most southerly point is the start, northerly point is erm nr Crawley on the A272

Westerly would be Farley mount.

Easterly would be the Bell Inn

There are pubs not far from the route, all over the place. Could detour to the Plough Inn?

AndyRT
    Free Member

ROLL CALL:
    Andyrt ….yes (+2)
    Underthewood…..yes (+2)
    Tomthumb…..yes
    MulletusMaximus….yes
    Stimpy….?
    Taff…..yes
    Midatlantic……?
    Mostly balanced…..yes
    Dobo……yes
    Frogstomp….?
    Slimjim78……..?
    Android……?
    40mpg……yes
    Jimmers…….yes
    Singletrackmind…..?
    Worldclassaccident……?
    Matbee…….yes
    Tod456…….?
    Rusty trowel…..probably
    Markend….gets points for trying…
    29erKeith……..yes
    Brack…..yes
    Deviant……yes
    Spikyjames….yes
    Campfreddie…..yes
    Others?????
    CG…..(in spirit)….get well very soon!
    I would currently suggest the choice of Trailraker/mudx to be sure only to lose traction most of the time. You’ve just got to love chalk

dobo
    Free Member

nice one spikeyjames, if weathers good and your up for a ride in to st cross i can stop by on the way in.

thanks for info AndyRT, plough, foxnhounds all good 🙂

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Pubs on route 😆 happy ciderinsport!

AndyRT
    Free Member

The trail is long and windy…but these are Winchester miles…so not too long really…

clickety link

midatlantic
    Free Member

I can confirm I’ll be coming! Traveling up from Lymington with campfreddie and hopefully more!

fridgeboy
    Free Member

I’ll be there – need the practice before next brass monkey.

dobo
    Free Member

nice route, 52k i think i’ll drive to the start 😉 now if we start at 11am and we have a pub stop assume we will be back by dark, 4pm? or we need lights?

Taff
    Free Member

I was thinking the same. Given my track record with riding after pub stops then probably!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

If we go the pace of most forum rides i’ve been on, we’ll be lucky to finish 52k by midnight! 😀

Taff
    Free Member

SO21 2FG – that’s the postcode to the place and the map shows it but looking at google maps it’s showing up as a steepish field. Is it a new car park accessed off the roundabout?

Rather embarrasingly it looks like I’m coming in lycra, christmas means I no longer fit into my riding shorts 😯

AndyRT
    Free Member

Yes to the sheep field. It’s now a park and ride. As its a bank holiday parking is free(I think).

Just set markers out today on a singlespeed, and it is a little bit wet, with a few potential comedy moments available.

I would suggest bringing lights to be sure. You’ll be fine without pub stops but with…..

Plough is probably out as now all middle class etc. bell is much more cool and only a mile or so from the finish.

Route has been shortened due to mud, but only about 5k shorter.

have 20+ mince pies for finishers 🙂

Mud X was ok and only gave up 3-4 times, and curiously not on hills!

Let’s aim to start rolling at 11am

See you there….

AndyRT
    Free Member

Happy new year

Weather looks ok for tomorrow, but you will need waterproofs and lights.

Ride will leave the car park at 11am! If you’re late, follow the pink ribbons

(it’s all I could find at short notice but looks very close to breast cancer ribbon colour so nimbys might leave them alone…

Please aim to be in the car park at 10:30ish to allow for faffing.

Bring a spare tube too! The blackthorn round here is infamously vindictive!!!!

mattbee

Goddamnit! Wife has to work Mon now due to sickness so I have to look after the hound. Can’t see him bringing him being ok on this ride so I’ll have to have a spin round QECP instead. Sigh…..

Taff
    Free Member

Weather forecast for tomorrow is meant to be better although today is rubbish. This is where I wish I had waterproof shorts!

Taff
    Free Member

This weather is going to make it lovely for tomorrow. Don’t think my Ignitior is going to cut it. Changing to a swampthing this afternoon I think!

AndyRT
    Free Member

Mud x was just about ok yesterday. Most of the trails are ok even in this weather…

The most fun is the bridleway running from west woods to the edge of Sparsholt, as it now has electric fence on both sides, and although it’s a straight run, the trail is very slippery and steering is more luck than skill, so I propose the naming of this as

The numb nadgers trail!

See you tomorrow.

(white t25 campervan stocked with mince pies and coffee…)

Bring hot drinks, as it will be cold…

pjm84
    Free Member

Hmmm can I get out of my hilly road ride and come and join in with the mud.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Bring hot drinks, as it will be cold…

Cold drinks for me! I will be hot! 😉

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Cant be bothered with changing tubeless tyres for one ride, so will be running my regular year round Purbecks set up of Conti Vertical up front on and Bonty revolt x on back (for added wheelspin action!) :?.

Waterproofs? Nah, lycra will have to do.

See you tomorrow. 🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Just to check, the meet is at Compton End park and ride just off the M3?

Taff
    Free Member
    MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

If you’re coming from Poole then you want the second Winchester junction (10 I think) then take first exit off of roundabout followed by the first right off of Bull Drove and that will take you into the P&R car park.

thomthumb
    Free Member

If you’re coming from Poole then you want the second Winchester junction (10 I think)

you want junc. 11. there is no 10. 😀

AndyRT
    Free Member

Yes, as per the link back in the thread somewhere. Park at the far end. See you there at about 10:30 ish….

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘New Years Winchester Ride’ is closed to new replies.