Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New XC/Trail wheel dilema – help me make up my mind!
  • Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a new Yeti ARC and was planning it around the wheels/tyres I already had (Pro4/XR391/2.35 Barzo). Now it’s built they look a bit weedy and flexy. As it has clearance for up to 2.6 I think I want some 30mm inner width rims/wheels for extra comfort/grip/traction/looks but can’t make a decision!

I have some deals available to me through contacts, I like Hope hubs but don’t mind DT and don’t mind building my own wheels. As an ex-racer boy I’m still a bit pre-occupied with weight to a degree, even though I’m getting on 90kg these days! I want to use 2.3-2.5 tyre width, but don’t want anything silly heavy or ridiculous draggy, our local trails are not massively rocky, can get a plenty muddy in winter.

Option 1 – Pro4, XM481 cost approx £400 weight 1900g (approx)
    Option 2 – Pro4, Light bicycle RM29C07 cost approx £580 1640g.
    Option 3 – Roval Control 6B, lightly used from a fly weight friend. £700. 1450g.

Any thoughts other than it’s a 1st world problem, so just buy something already! Thanks in advance.

joebristol

The Dt Swiss / Hope wheelset will be pretty bombproof in my experience. I’ve given mine a load of badly landed attempts at jumping and battered them through rock gardens etc.

It just depends if you want to spend more money for lighter weight really. Those rovals are a big weight saving – what hubs do they use? If the weight saving is primarily in the rim then it’s going to feel snappier under acceleration as long as you don’t go too heavy on the tyres.

ads678

I recently built a pair of DT Swiss 350 hubs with XR391 rims and Sapim spokes all parts from R2 bike in germany including delivery, cost just over £300. I split the deliveries up to get them under the £135 import duty limit.

Came in at just over 1600g, Those rims are only 25mm internal width though, more XC than trail, but could be worth checking R2 bike out for parts.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I recently built a pair of DT Swiss 350 hubs with XR391 rims and Sapim spokes all parts from R2 bike in germany including delivery, cost just over £300. I split the deliveries up to get them under the £135 import duty limit.

Came in at just over 1600g, Those rims are only 25mm internal width though, more XC than trail, but could be worth checking R2 bike out for parts.

They’re pretty much the pair I already have except I’ve got Hope hubs. The 391 rims are a lot lighter than the 30mm 481 rims.

Those rovals are a big weight saving – what hubs do they use?

DT 350. Which is slightly my dilema, I’d rather Hope hubs, but for a little bit more money (in grand scheme of things). it’s a lot less weight and might offset the heavier tyres a bit

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d have DT over hope any day. On my XC FS I have what are essentially DT XR1700 Spline 25 and they’re bloody brilliant, they’re just badged up as the manufacturer rims with decals that are different.

On my XC HY (Scott Scale) I’ve just bought a set of Silt XC Alloy, again 25mm wide, they weigh as advertised and on first impressions they look nice, well built, nicely finished and a ratchet freehub & cartridge bearing hubs a la DT. I imagine their wider set would fit the bill

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Each to their own I guess. I prefer Hope over DT, but would have either. Not interested in other options than what I’ve listed, got enough different standards going on in the garage already. thanks for the info though.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Option 3 – Roval Control 6B, lightly used from a fly weight friend. £700. 1450g.

Sound perfect. I think they are what I have if they are the 28 spoke version not the even lighter 24 spoke jobs. DT350 hubs but straight pull spokes if you have issues with that sort of thing. My only hesitation in recommending them is I’m more like 70Kg.

Came out well in a Pinkbike review too https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-roval-control-carbon-wheels.html

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Hey Rubber, yes they’re the 28h version. Not bothered about straight spokes. They were a last minute curve ball but seem to review well. Also, I could be riding them tomorrow instead of ordering and building stuff.

joebristol

So having a look the rovals have lifetime warranty for the original owner, or just 2 years from the original purchase date for a 2nd owner.

If your mate is happy to warranty then if you have a rim issue then I’d be tempted to take that option for the weight saving. Dt350 are a decent hub – broadly on the same level as a Pro4 I’d say. Little bit harder to change the very middle wheel bearing but I think on average they need less maintenance than the pro4. Not that a pro4 needs a lot of maintenance.

Light bicycle generally have a good reputation but I think I’d be a little bit put off using that option just because of lack of direct uk support in the event of any issues.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Joe – yes, that wouldn’t be a problem, although I think the warranty doesn’t cover crash or accidental damage. I have had a spoke pull through on a Roval road wheel though, so some warranty is good.

LB rims, my thoughts exactly. I have had them plenty of times when the exchange rate was better, no the difference isn’t so appealing.

davros

I’ve got the rovals and I’d definitely recommend them. Run them on the hardtail over winter and the full sus over summer. Ride feel is excellent and low weight makes the bike so zippy. I did break a spoke but it came with spares and was easily replaced.

devash
    Free Member

I’ve got those Rovals on my Transition Spur. Excellent XC / Trail wheelset with a lovely ride quality. Mine came in slightly heavier than advertised though at 1520g for the pair.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

So, that’s 3 to the Roval so far, I’m leaning that way. not sure I can stomach the near 500g rotational weight gain on the Pro4/XM481 combo.

joebristol

Roval sounds like the ticket in this case.

My xm481 / pro4s roll along nicely but not as lovely as a wheelset that’s so much lighter. Mine are on a 34lb ish transition sentinel with a Lyrik and a coil shock so they’re quite lightweight for that bike – but quite heavy on a fancy carbon yeti hardtail.

devash
    Free Member

Just a note on the Rovals, they’re billed as XC race / ‘downcountry’ but do take a beating. I personally wouldn’t use them for bike park stuff though, and you can’t use them with inserts due to the design, if that’s your thing.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Done deal. I’ve bought the Rovals!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.