Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New Wheels Time
  • simono5

Hi all, some advice on upgrading my wheels please.

I’ve built a HT up steadily and now the weakest point needing replacing is the wheels. Currently running a pair of Mavic Crossrider 2017 which to be fair have been pretty reliable.

The majority of my riding is CX style 30-50km riding. Mixed in I enjoy visiting Grenoside and doing the downhill routes (rolling the jumps and not getting air), also visit Wales regularly to do Marin, Dragons Back, Llandegla. I do enjoy bombing up and down the hills the best I can but I’m not one for getting any air.

Also currently running tubeless which I’d like to maintain.

I really like the look of the following wheels as believe Hope Pro 4 hubs are well liked. Would buy in either the XC or Enduro flavour;
    https://www.rushcycles.co.uk/m50b0s613p5531/HOPE-27-5-inch-Hope-Hoops-Pro-4-Hubs-on-Hope-Tech-Enduro-Rims

I was thinking the Enduro may be better as they’re a bit more robust as my riding style isn’t exactly smooth LOL.

Any other wheel sets that I should be considering in this price bracked of £350? Stans maybe?

TIA for any help.

sharkattack

The Enduro rims are certainly robust. I used to have them on a DH bike and they survived many uplift days and a few Alps trips. They’re a little narrow and heavy by current standards.

All the new Hope Fortus rims are available to order on the 20th of this month. I’d definitely rather wait for them than buy Enduros again.

thepurist

Hunt wheels seem to be well liked

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/

hatter

The new DT Swiss 1900 range comes in nicely under your budget, plenty of options there, all solid.

funkrodent

I’m also looking around at wheels. As said above the Hunt ones review well, seem to bethe real deal and are comparatively light for the price point you’re at. I’ve got a pair of the Stan’s Arch Ex3 on the fs and they’re great, spin up really well and make climbing less of a chore than it was. I’ve smashed them down lots of hairy descents in NW (Jacobs, Blue Pig etc) & given I weigh 17.5 stone they’ve handled it all with aplomb. You can usually get them discounted to that point.

chakaping
    Free Member

if non-boost, buy a lightly used secondhand wheelset – values have nosedived as everything’s gone boosty mcboostface.

honourablegeorge

Hunt look like the otustanding value at £350

joebristol

Hunt do seem good value – I bought a set of their road wheels last year.

For mtb wheels I built my own – Hope Pro4 hubs with DT Swiss spokes and Dt rims.

What internal width are you after? If around 25mm I’d be looking at a DT Swiss xm421 rim – if 30mm I’d look at an xm481.

martinhutch

Just spotted this on wiggle – seriously good rear wheel, light, 240 hub.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dt-swiss-xm1501-spline-rear-mtb-wheel/

They have a 350 hubbed front also cheap, and I’d be happy with non-matching at that price.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I just got some in the Super Star £100 wheel clearance. Might upgrade to Hunt if I manage to kill these, but for £100 I won’t be too careful with them 🙂

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/?q=ESSENTIAL+MTB+WHEELS

Use code 100NOTES at checkout.

jonnyrockymountain

Hunts, I can’t recommend them enough

simono5

Just realised I posted this in another thread by mistake!

“Thank you. Hunts seem to be well regarded.

I should have mentioned I’m running 100 front 135/QR rear at the moment with a view to going 142/12 rear with a new frame. Most wheels seem to come with inserts to move to 142/12 but don’t find it clear if Hunts do 135 with the inserts to 142 so dropped them a mail.

Thanks again”

simono5

For anyone that comes back to this thread, heard back from the guys at Hunt and they’ve confirmed;

All of our Non-Boost wheelsets can be used with 100mm and 135mm quick release. Just make a note on the order as you place it that you need these quick release axles but also mention that you will swap to 12 x 142 and we’ll include the adapter you’ll need as a spare.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New Wheels Time’ is closed to new replies.