New wheels for a 2009 Cannondale prophet

• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by  Simon.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New wheels for a 2009 Cannondale prophet
  • ugarizza

Will these fit OK?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/mavic-crossmax-sl-pro-mtb-wheelset-2016/rp-prod140701

Also, am i mad to be spending so much for a 26 bike? I love the bike, it’s just so heavy it’s killing me. Was thinking nice tubeless wheels would take a chunk off.

z1ppy

Loved mine too, and it wasn’t a heavy bike.. but IIRC unless it’s an MX version (or similar model) has a bolt thru rear end, you’ll need QR adapter for that rear wheel and a 15mm front fork too.
    That does seem a nice price drop but I’m not convinced you couldn’t do better 2nd hand

Prophet can be converted to a 650B wheel, though wasn’t designed with that in mind, so isn’t a perfect conversion (lifts the BB for a start, and I think you limited by rear tyre size)

ugarizza

Thanks z1ppy
    Current bike has the normal thin QR and pikes with a big fat QR up front.
    So rear sounds ok?

mikewsmith

Nope, it`s a 12mm bolt through wheel on the rear. Which pike do you have? By big fat QR do you mean 15mm or 20mm?
    Not trying to be patronising but
    QR`s

Maxle style bolt through for 15mm

ugarizza

Ah right thanks – got you on the rear bolt through 🙂
    I don’t think they’ll work, it looks like 20 on the front according to this spec I found
    https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/1956572/

z1ppy

nah that wheel is for a 12mm rear end, you’ll need a set of QR adapters for the wheel, to fit your rear end.
    [edit too slow] Sorry I didn’t make it clearer in my first post

ugarizza

Thanks Z1ppy and Mike.
    I’ll keep looking, got a better idea now.

z1ppy

TBH if the bike spec is still as that ad, it’s the forks where you going to potentially save the most weight easily.

ugarizza

I just had the forks serviced 🙂
    Was thinking tubeless might save a bit.

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

Are you currently on the wheels that the bike came with originally? Do you know what they weigh?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New wheels for a 2009 Cannondale prophet’ is closed to new replies.