Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • new wheel Q: what rim? cheap, v-brake-able, lighter than 521s, widish tyres…?
  • MrKmkII
    Free Member

so i need a recommendation for a new rim for a front wheel. it’s to go on my hardtail. it should be able to take rim brakes, and while most of my riding is XC, i can still hit things hard occasionally. I’ve got 521 rims at the moment but they just seem over the top for me these days. i will also be looking to use the same wheel for offroad touring next year.

so what ya saying? i’m happy to be recommended a full wheel too if you know of something, though ideally the hub would be 6-bolt and cup-n-cone.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Seems to tick all your boxes…

Wheel

MrKmkII
    Free Member

would that be the same as this basic merlin build but with a slightly worse hub and only a couple of quid cheaper?

also, up to what tyre size can be used on a 317? i can’t find a mavic chart…

perthmtb
    Free Member

Can’t seem to access Merlin web site at the moment – but if you say so….

According to mavic web site XM 317 it’ll take 1.0 to 2.1 tyres.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

ah, i didn’t see that before, for some reason. i’m running 2.4″, and don’t really want to go smaller 🙁 thanks though! 🙂

MrKmkII
    Free Member

anyone? wide, tough, light(er), reasonably priced?

is it just a case of see which mavic i like the look of?

emanuel
    Free Member

got some rhynolites.running vees.been faultless,I cased all the jumps at the bmx racetrack for about a year,still fine.dunno how much they weigh,but I’d guess about 500g?550?running folding table tops+xtralight tubes,so it feels much lighter.
    have a look at the sun rims,the pinned ones are dirt cheap sometimes on crc.most are v compatible,machined and anodized.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘new wheel Q: what rim? cheap, v-brake-able, lighter than 521s, widish tyres…?’ is closed to new replies.