Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New Vittoria Mazza tyre
  • onedpete

Really liking the look of these as a solid allrounder. Looks like a dhf but tweaked and updated. Clever siping, 4 compounds, stepped rather than ramped knobs. From what I’ve heard the casings are very high quality and the graphene content should improve wear. Can’t see em for sale anywhere in the UK yet though…

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Of all the “looks like a minion” tyre options, it’s maybe most promising.

The gravity version was very heavy though according to the bit I read on Pinkbike.

Luckily I have a pile of actual Minions to get through myself anyway.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

I’ve been waiting for this to be released for a while, as soon as I can pick up a 29 2.6 trail TNT I will be doing so.

Currently I’m using 2.35 martello front and rear which are awesome, but I fancy a bit more ‘bite’ at the front which the mazza will give.

The mazza is better in looser conditions apparently, when there’s something to dig into.

And as for the dhf likeness, the designer used to work at maxxis 😉

Pauly

The designer, Ken, invented the Minion.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Re weight I think all of the Vittoria weigh more than their Schwalbe counterparts but they pay you back in reliability and tubeless ease.

onedpete

I’d be interested to know how they compare to actual minions and how they size up. Also if the lighter casing is more robust than exo and nearer to dd. The gravity casing does look bloody heavy! I’m a Maxxis fanboi and gererally run a wt dhr2 up front and aggressor dd rear most of the year, switching out for a shorty if it’s proper mucky. However, I’ve had issues with QC of some maxxis in last few years, warping, splits to bead that are irreparable etc. I hear good things about previous vittoria tyres, martello and mota in particular. Mota front mazza rear in winter could be a goer. Anyone seen em for sale yet? I see the gmbn guys are all running em

dc1988

I think it looks a bit more like a Butcher (which I know is a Minion copy), but the Mazza and Butcher look a bit better for wet and loose conditions which the Minion can struggle a bit with.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

I’d be interested to know how they compare to actual minions and how they size up. Also if the lighter casing is more robust than exo and nearer to dd. The gravity casing does look bloody heavy! I’m a Maxxis fanboi and gererally run a wt dhr2 up front and aggressor dd rear most of the year, switching out for a shorty if it’s proper mucky. However, I’ve had issues with QC of some maxxis in last few years, warping, splits to bead that are irreparable etc. I hear good things about previous vittoria tyres, martello and mota in particular. Mota front mazza rear in winter could be a goer. Anyone seen em for sale yet? I see the gmbn guys are all running em

You’ve got the pinch flat strips on vittoria tyres so there’s a bit of extra protection there, mota front mazza rear is exactly the setup I’d be looking at for a UK winter. The mota only comes in 2.35 in 29er size though.

If you wanted to use the trail casing front and enduro rear you need to deal with mismatched tyre colours though 😁

Size wise the 2.4 mazza seems fairly accurate, the 2.6 maybe a little under sized but depends on the rim size.

Premier Icon leegee
    Subscriber

Been loving the Martello Trail as a rear tyre. The protection/weight was just what I was looking for.

I’ve just put a Michelin Wild Enduro on the front which is amazing and this is the best tyre combo I’ve ever used. Will defintely check out more Vittoria tyres in future.

Premier Icon merk
    Subscriber

I’m thinking of running one up front with a Barzo on the rear for a balance between grippy and fast rolling tyres.

No stock anywhere to be seen though.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

https://www.zerobikes.co.uk/en/vittoria-mazza-trail-g2.0-tyre-anthracite-29×2.6-~p523574

Here has them listed with stock expected on the 26th June.

In the US you can buy them directly from vittoria.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

So zerobikes have stock now but I’ve never heard of them before. Anyone else seen any stock? I need to order a fox float shock service kit and would rather order them together.

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

Also looking for these to replace a Magic Mary. Would be interested in any comparisons. both front and rear.

look expensive

Yetiman

Liking the look of this as my 29×2.5 Shorty needs replacing soon so I’m looking at options just now. I’d happily have another Shorty but the Mazza, Assegai and 2.6 MM are also on the shortlist.

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

the 2.6mm is a great tire. Im hoping this would be faster rolling though for the rear

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Bought a 2.6 29er TNT (trail) version from R2-bike, to replace my front 2.35 martello.

The martello isn’t worn, just wanted something a little bigger and with more ‘bite’.

2.35 martello, 570km old

New 2.6 Mazza

That’s on a 28mm ID rim – E13 TRSr carbon wheels.

Plenty of room under the RRP bolt on mudguard:

I’ll keep the spare martello as a replacement for the rear, it’s still got plenty of life but some of the knobs are starting to feather a bit. Will leave the Mazza at 35psi to let it expand a bit over the next few days, seated with no issues with the Beto air canister and Rimpact insert.

I considered a TnT reat and TLR front Mazza, but the thicker ones are black sidewall, the lighter ones are grey. OCD said no.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Both my martellos have some fairly decent scuffs, and my rims have several marks -both from 2 days riding in the peaks, but with the rimpact inserts front and rear I definitely don’t need the TLR casing.

I’ve had zero punctures in the 570km on them.

I will say, the grey and black become much less of a contrast after a while so it’d look a bit strange at first but after a few hundred km they’d look almost the same.

Old and new:

continuity

About 120g lighter per tyre than a 3c/exo/tr 2.5 maxxgrip DHF.

What’s the go-to rear then? I really find the DHR to be a better summer front tyre and too draggy out back.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

To match with a Mazza?

Agarro is the fastest/least aggressive of the enduro/trail tyres, then martello, mazza, mota.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

First ride on the Mazza today, just a gentle spin so can’t say anything regarding grip, but they roll just as fast as the martello. If there is anything in it’s there’s not much at all.

I used to run around 23psi rear, 20psi front, was at 20psi front today but being a 2.6 (which looks massive compared to the 2.35 martello at the back) I’ll probably end up at 16 or 18psi front for proper trails.

Always wanted to try Vittoria tyres but the prices were insane/boutique. I notice they have come down a bit from the Goodyear/E13 orbit.

The Mary alike Moto looks like it could be a good Scottish summer tyre!

trailtom

I always get my Vittoria tyres from Germany as there way cheaper than than the big UK online sellers even with the the added postage

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Wiggle have the mota 29 at £40, the mazza is 49 euros at R2-bike.

That’s pretty normal for tyres tbh

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.