Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New Uncaged versions of YT Decoy MX and Capra MX
  • Ben_Haworth

The Decoy and Capra Uncaged 9 bikes are basically Öhlins equipped (RXF 38 m.2 fork and TTX 22m shock) limited edition models.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

New Uncaged versions of YT Decoy MX and Capra MX

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

sharkattack

Yes, I’d happily have either one of those and I won’t complain about the prices either. I wish that Capra was out when I had my insurance money. Also looking forward to an updated Tues one day.

argee

Not that I would ever buy an ebike from abroad, but they still use 540wh batteries when the rest are doing a move from 625/630 to 720/750.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kelvin

Good. Keep the weight low (in both meanings of the word) for better handling.

argee

Good. Keep the weight low (in both meanings of the word) for better handling.

Not sure it’s keeping the weight low or how would improve handling on an ebike, only thing for sure is it’s keeping the range low.

uggski

I think you can go to their shop in Guildford? for warranty claims now?

Not much help if you are up north I guess

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Not sure it’s keeping the weight low or how would improve handling on an ebike, only thing for sure is it’s keeping the range low.

Well it’s 30% less capacity than a 700wh battery so is significantly smaller & lighter.

FWIW as someone who has had a big battery bike, I would take a smaller battery, lighter option that rides better. The Decoy can still do a 2k+ vert day if you are prepared to pedal.

argee

Well it’s 30% less capacity than a 700wh battery so is significantly smaller & lighter.

FWIW as someone who has had a big battery bike, I would take a smaller battery, lighter option that rides better. The Decoy can still do a 2k+ vert day if you are prepared to pedal.

That doesn’t equate to 30% weight savings, motor is still the same, weight is still very low in an ebike, so CoG won’t be that far off any other full fat ebike, for a 170/165 enduro ebike you’d think they’d look at the market and how it’s moving to self uplifts, yes folk can pedal and use the energy, but in enduro gear they’d probably rather not.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

That doesn’t equate to 30% weight savings

It pretty much does on the battery, compared to a 700wh one, which is probably the new normal, obviously even bigger = even more weight.

YT have been pretty vocal about a 700wh battery & how they weren’t happy with the detrimental effect it had on the handling of the bike (it’s not like it can’t be done, it’s just more cells & there is definitely the space in the downtube for bigger).

Whilst I don’t own one, I’ve ridden one fairly extensively & the Decoy Mullet is one of the best riding ebikes I’ve ridden. I can see why they are sticking with a proven theory. I’d go so far as to say there are very few ebikes with a 600+Wh battery I would chose, just because of the sheer weight of the things going up further & further.

For sure there is a market for full fat ebikes with massive batteries, but the ongoing arms race for bigger & bigger batteries is not something I’m interested in.

MSP

YT have been pretty vocal about a 700wh battery & how they weren’t happy with the detrimental effect it had on the handling of the bike

I bought last years uncaged decoy, and to be honest I would prefer a bigger battery. It has been muted for a while now, I hadn’t realised they had dropped the development I thought it was covid problems that had delayed it.

argee

Again, would need to see evidence of the battery weights, quick check of google puts 700wh spesh at 3.8kg, 625wh bosch at 3.5kg and the 540wh at 3.4kg, so less difference between 700wh and 540wh than a bottle with some water on the downtube. I’d hazard a guess YT are vocal about a 700wh battery due to how they went about creating a bespoke battery and compartment in the Decoy.

Most folk i know on ebikes are looking at bigger for the future with enduro ebikes, they want something that can take advantage of BPW or the likes, for lighter ebikes, something like the forrestal’s look great, 17.5kg bikes with 360wh batteries and the ability to add an extender if you wanted too.

jamj1974

That doesn’t equate to 30% weight savings, motor is still the same, weight is still very low in an ebike, so CoG won’t be that far off any other full fat ebike,

I have a YT Decoy and today rode an Orbea Rise M10 with a battery around 2/3 the size. The difference in nimbleness and ability to rapidly change direction was night and day. I certainly know which bike I preferred and unfortunately it wasn’t the one I own…

argee

Yeah, they are hitting that sweet spot with the newer generation of light ebikes, but the Decoy is still one of the full fat variety, i do love those new forrestal’s, just a shame they’re a fortune, the Orbea again has that extender ability where you can turn the 360wh base into a 620wh bike with the bottle battery attached, so when you want that bit more range, you can have it easily, again not an option that YT have thought off in this new uncaged version, they seem very stuck in their ‘old’ mould for a decoy.

mattkkitch

That Capra looks good value and it’s good too see the prices include customs….battery chat is pretty dry

militantmandy
    Free Member

I love my Shred. It handles brilliantly and it’s just fun! It suits what I need it for perfectly, which is generally sub 2 hour solo rides after work. If I wanted to do loads of huge rides, or I rode with other e bikers, I’d probably want a bigger battery though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.