Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New tyres for the commuter?
  • alan1977
    Free Member

just too ka punt on some Vel 23 wheels on th sigma sport website
    and now wondering if i should try a tyre change?

currently on vittoria torreno zero on the boardman ebike
    i was on paanaracer gravelking sk previously on the hybrid… the paanracer seemed more lively.. and top end the 700c boardman only seems realisticly a bout 1-2mph quicker on the flat.. i think the Vittorias have a much more substantial centre tred, thinking puncture resistance, although i never ahd a puncture on either
    both set up tubeless
    Im thinking about winter also, not sure how the terrano might be in crappy conditions
    I also tried wire bead byways briefly.. and the were scary scary..

So moon on a stick, tyre for a 700×23 wheel, probably wont fit more than 40 under the mudguards, the 38’s atm are tight, the whole commute is paved.. but i also dont want to think twice about hitting a a none paved surface.. although mud grip isn’t a consideration. Also, going for a little comfort.. the standard boardman wheels and tyres leave me bouncin(probably more the wheels)

marathons come up all the time.. but im not sure about how they roll compared to the tyres im familiar with

tthew

I’ve always liked the Continental urban tyres. Contact Speed are the slick ones I always favoured, but there are various different levels of treadyness and puncture resistance. Used to be able to bag a good deal on a European site, obviously chances of that are a little variable now.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I swore by Schwalbe Marathons but the lack of grip meant a few front wheel slips on Birmingham Canal brickwork towpaths, the past 8 months or so I’ve been using PlanetX – Jack Brown Mile Muncher with no problems.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

My new secondhand bike came with Marathons in 38c, they roll well and are very capable on gravel and hardpack.

Not used them on wet tarmac to speak to the grip (of lack thereof) in the rubber though.

They can’t be as bad as Gatorskins though, can they?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve been on Marathon Supremes for the last year, great on tarmac, no punctures. On the way home I sometimes do a short ~0.25 mile stretch of mixed non-paved, no issues in summer/dry/damp, never had grip issues in wet but then I don’t test the limits of traction… Steep concrete bank down to River Itchen less than a metre to side of path!

Used a pair of Marathon Cross https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NQ8ND7U for ~5 years, good all-rounders, only ever one puncture. Didn’t expect to find a link with stock, got mine from nextdaytyres, don’t think this model is produced anymore.

For winter, if I was looking now for something in stock, I’d be tempted to give a pair of https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-g-one-ultrabite-performance-tle-folding-tyre-700c-261165.html a go for ~£50 (multi buy and in current auto 10% discount when added to basket). Not going to be speedy on tarmac, but decent grip for winter slop offroad.
    Or something like Landcruiser Plus (extra punture protection) or Continental Tour or maybe https://www.merlincycles.com/continental-terra-trail-performance-tr-folding-gravel-tyre-700c-226802.html (but not good on mud or grass apparently according to road.cc review).

qwerty
    Free Member

Schwalbe Big Apples

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

For London nothing has been better than Marathon Double Defense, they last forever and are virtually indestructible.
    Never had issues with grip, but I don’t ride aggressively with them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheap and cheerful Schwalbe CX Comps. I use one as a front tyre off road if it’s really dry. CX Pro is horrible though, avoid it.

My commuter bike currently have specialized borough 32, good but a bit square so horrible on the front. Paired with a cheep Conti Ultrasport and just avoid the broken glass.

The OFO has Marathons (can’t remember which, the ones where the casing feels a third of an inch thick from all the puncture protection).

vazaha

I always choose Marathon Plus when it’s time to replace what it came with, but i’ve always had tubes underneath.

matt_outandabout

but i also dont want to think twice about hitting a a none paved surface..

I’ve changed from 36mm Kenda Kwick semi slick CX tyres to what look like slick Continental Top Contact or mrs_oab’s Continental Speed.

Both are noticeably faster on road. They really do tank along.

When I get on middle_oab’s bike with 38mm Kenda Small Block 8’s on, while being comfy, it’s like being on velcro.

Both of us ride forest track and similar without issue and the only concerns are pinch punctures on narrow tyres and crap sticking between mudguards and tyres.

I even tried some single-track on mine – I’m not sure there was much drop in grip compared to the CX tyres.

Summary: good touring tyres are ace, and Continental ones are impressing me a lot.

andrewy

I’ve had Marathon Supremes on my bikeability bike for a couple of years and they are great. No punctures, comfortable at 50psi and roll way better than normal marathons. When they eventually wear out I’ll be replacing with the same, definitely recommended.

steezysix
    Free Member

Just got a set of Specialized sawtooth for my commuter/tourer – only a couple of weeks in but very pleased so far, they roll well on tarmac and have enough grip for the wet leaf cover and dirt paths in the parks right now. Don’t feel much slower than the Vittoria Hyper Randonneur that they replaced. Mine are 42mm but I think they make a 38mm version.

didnthurt

Another vote for the Plant X Jack Brown Mile Muncher. I ran these on a commuter and really liked them.

Another favourite of mine for commuting where you have more mixed terrain in the Halo Twin Rail. They’re cheap, tough and roll very fast. Good for a bit of off-roading too.

Marathons IME are expensive, heavy, lifeless, very tough but incredibly difficult to get off the rim. So if you do get a puncture then you’re in for a bit of a wrestle.

Most road all-season tyres are decent for winter use, just find what’s cheap.

cookeaa

I’ve been using some 38mm Vittoria Trailtechs (apparently they’re “E-bike approved”) tubeless on 25mm Rims for a long old while (on my Gravel bike).
    They’ve been bulletproof but are also pretty hefty for a 38mm tyre I think they’ve just got Brick out-house construction to account for their supposed E-bike application.
    They roll well enough on Tarmac but are happy enough off road, I probably use them 60/40 more off-road and in all weathers.

Having said that my (road) commuter is currently using an old 25mm Gatorskin on the rear and another old 25mm Schwalbe Lugano on the front, both tubed of course.
    I’d say these are not ideal commuting tyres, except the buggers just keep on going and put up with frequent ~1/2 mile gravelly tow path trundles (not full on off-road use) without complaining.

I’m not really a believer in fancy tyres for commuting; puncture and wear resistance at an affordable price are more valuable than other features to me, but grip is a nice bonus if available. I quite like the Vittoria Randonneur, I’ve got a 32mm one on the front of my Fixed pub/shopping bike, I’d probably consider those next for my commuter, they could certainly put up with a bit of off-road, don’t think they come tubeless though…
    But yeah my choice would probably be some flavour of Randonneur for commuting currently.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.