Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • New tyres £20- £40?
  • rhysyd
    Free Member

After some new tyres for a hardtail, I’m mostly riding llandegla/moel famau area. Just wondering if you can give us some tyre options? Looking for a bit more grip going down rocks/hill? Any suggestions thanks.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Anything between £20-£40 should do.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Everyone has their own opinion and preferences on tyres. What have you got at the moment, do you run with or without tubes and how much do you want to pay?

timc
    Free Member

know & ride the area, presume a 26″ wheel? £40 for x1 or x2 tyres? What bike do you have?

TheFlyingOx

Coming from a few years of Nevegals and various Schwalbe options, I’ve had my eyes opened by a Specialized Butcher on the front. Miles more grip than I’m used to. You can pick them up for under £30 if you shop around.

I’ve just had my eyes opened to the amazing lack of grip on anything slightly slippy with the Spesh Purgatory – and that’s coming from an Eskar that I was really happy with

lee170
    Free Member

I’ve gone from nobby nics to a conti x king on the front and a race king on the rear, fast, grippy. Swap out the race king for mountain king for wet conditions.
    I’ve heard conti trail kings are pretty good to.
    The x king is an amazing front tyre. 2.2

grum
    Free Member

Specialized Control – Butcher front/Purgatory back.

Mackem

Does anyone run the on-one tyres tubless? Or is that a daft idea?

slackalice
    Free Member

Specialized tyres seem to get a lot of love on here, being good value for money in terms of compounds, grip, longevity. So much so that I’ve just replaced a 2.2 Mountain King, that I managed to deform, with a 2.3 Ground Control Grid version for the front. Hoping to ride it this weekend, so no definitive opinion on it yet, except that it is big and looks the part – in that it’s black and round and I find the tread pattern aesthetically pleasing 😀

unovolo
    Free Member

Geax Saguaro, no idea if they suit the area you ride but they seem pretty good where I ride and are fairly cheap too.

chestrockwell

As mentioned, Specialized tyres are great for the money, usually £30rrp. I’m currently very pleased with a Purgatory up front and Captain out back.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    I’ve just had my eyes opened to the amazing lack of grip on anything slightly slippy with the Spesh Purgatory – and that’s coming from an Eskar that I was really happy with

I’ve got an eskar I’ll swap you for!.

Tracey

Most of our tyres are Specialized. Im running Clutch control on the front and Purgatory Control on the rear. Abigale has a Butcher on the front and a Purgatory on the back. Kevin is sill running Enduros front and rear as is Katie. Use them all year round in all conditions including trips to the Alps. Have tried other brands but they have never been as good in our opinion.

al1982
    Free Member

i ride the on one tyres tubeless without any problem – smorgasbords front and rear

mmel
    Free Member

Ok, so I’ve always been a fan of Specialized tyres and gone on about them on here before. I’ve been using a Purgatory on the front for ages with a Captain on the back. Time came today to put some new ones on (there were visible holes in the sidewalls on the rear) so I got a new Purg for the front, and have tried a new Ground Control for the rear. It has the new Grid side walls that are supposed to be stronger.

Best thing about Spesh tyres for me is the ease at which they go up tubeless. I find that I can just pump as normal and they go up, even without sealant (there’s Stan’s in there now).

Oh and an even better thing is that with the tyre amnesty the concept stores have at the moment they only cost £20 each!

I could go on….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Grid sidewalls are good, put a new purg grid on the rear and had a day on helvellyn, and a day on kentmere horseshoe and down nan bield. Not a mark on them, whereas the standard purgs were pretty marked last year.

rhysyd
    Free Member

alright lads, its a boardman HT PRO, I think there Continental Speed King 2.1in, they seem to just completely wash out on damp rocks etc, slipping everywhere?

Flaperon

Might just be me but I pinch-flatted loads when I used the Conti Race Kings. The bog standard Mountain Kings are good, though.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I really like my single ply High Roller DH tyres on my Stanton….super tacky up front, 60a on the rear. Seem to grip well and don’t fare to badly in most conditions and can usually be picked up pretty cheap these days.

For a bit more money, I’m a big fan of my Gans Dampf’s and Magic Mary from Schwable. Grip really well in most conditions, easy to set up tubeless and not too heavy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gans dampf? Is that the Geordie version? 😀

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I have a chunky monkey (the sticky one) on the front and love it, seems to be wearing pretty well too.
    The Smorgasbord on the back a bit less so, I find its a bit sensitive to pressure, and not desperately grippy on grass – locks up on the way down grassy slopes easily.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re wanting more grip as opposed to speed so something chunky and agressive. I would say the biggest volume tyre your frame clearence and rim width allow. Hans dampf, High rollers and
    and Rubber queens are all good from this respect. My usual is Hans dampfs from ze Germans. Excellent price and a pace star rear and trail star front works well. Sme frames wont fit the tyre though as it is more like a 2.5 than a 2.35. High volume takes the sting out of the rear and allows you to push a bit harder on it.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

i really like these.

change from £30 a pair – just look at the reviews

There’s absolutely nothing I’ve found that they are not good on. IMHO

I love High rollers too.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ roughrider …I had a set of them, really rated them for soft loamy trails like Woburn, good on road bridalways etc. Took them to Wales on some Damp Brechfa trails and they are deathtraps! Be warned.

@mmel. …is the Specialized tyre amnesty still on?

wiggles
    Free Member

Amnesty is “while stocks last” so may well still be on depending on how long you LBS is running it. We have sold huge amounts of purgs on the offer.

rhysyd
    Free Member

Think I’ll go for the high rollers at £20 , so what is folding bead and wire bead? What width also.. 2.1 or 1.9?

rhysyd
    Free Member

High roller super tacky? Are they ok?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Rhysyd what were your old tyres?

rhysyd
    Free Member

Continental mtb king 2.2

ThePilot
    Free Member

Good deals here.
    http://welovemountains.com/26-xc-am-tyres
    Bit gutted as I just paid 50squid for a new Ardent 🙁

fr0sty125
    Free Member

It’s a compromise between grip and rolling resistance, weight and strength.

If you are looking to be more aggressive then I would consider HR rear DHF front or Smorgasbord rear and chunky monkey front. Folding tyres are normally lighter than wired.

mmel
    Free Member

tymbian – Amnesty was on in the Chester store yesterday, managed to get a Ground Control grid that should of been £35 and a Purgatory for £40. I traded in a very old pair of fast tracks that we’re no good to man nor beast!

chiefgrooveguru

Rhys, I had those tyres on my Boardman – they roll very fast but don’t grip very well at all, and are hopeless on wet rocks/roots. Almost anything will be grippier but many tyres will feel harder work to pedal.

I’d put one of these on the front: http://welovemountains.com/maxxis-high-roller-kev-60a-black-26×235

And one of these on the back: http://welovemountains.com/maxxis-ardent-kev-60a-black-26×225

Or two Specialized Purgatory Control 2.3, or two On-One Smorgasbord 2.25

Avoid super tacky tyres, middling compounds 50-60a like these will be far stickier than what you’re used to!

rhysyd
    Free Member

Are these on crc mate? are they the same ardent and high rollers even tho it says ‘kev’ or am I being stupid?

tymbian
    Free Member

Yea..I don’t think We love Mountains are big on descriptions.
    Very vague, couldn’t even see whether they were folding or not.

tymbian
    Free Member

Rhysyd…if you’re not really knowledgeable on what tyres to go for or not I’d go for the On-One Chunkey Monkey 2.4 front, Smorgasbord 2.3 rear. I had these set up tubeless ( ghetto) and was really impressed and wouldn’t hesitate to buy again. Good grip especially where you need it wet rock d roots. They are really draggy on grass n sand though. They are £20 each.
    Or take advantage of the Specialized deal. Swap your old ones in. Spesh make good tyres ( read the Bikeradar reviews)…these will also cost you £40 the pair.

chiefgrooveguru

The ones I linked are folding (Kevlar) bead, the lower priced ones on CRC are wire bead.

A Chunky Monkey is probably way more grippy and thus draggy than you need.

chakaping
    Free Member

Does anyone run the on-one tyres tubless? Or is that a daft idea?

They work great tubeless, though I use a compressor to inflate so can’t vouch for how they go with with a track pump.

Rhys – The On One tyres might be a bit draggy for you coming from Speed Kings tbh and might be overkill for Llandegla.

Shameless plug for something a bit thinner…
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1580173/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘New tyres £20- £40?’ is closed to new replies.