Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New TV time, whats a good 40" (ish) tv to get
  • bruneep

Had a panasonic for years only now just letting go. Whats good to go for?

Another Panasonic, sony bravia, samsung or are they all such n much. Looking to spend no more than £500

ps44
    Free Member

We got one of these a few months ago LG Smart TV 42LF652V 42″. £380 from an ebay seller. Nice picture, lots of features, easy to use OS. If only we had decent broadband speed !

Rockape63
    Free Member

Do you have a Sky box? If so that will reduce your costs as you won’t need a smart TV or Freeview HD.

Drac

Trying to find a TV without SMART or Freeview is pointless they’re pretty much standard so no or little effect on the pride.

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t get a samsung the HD freeview is nasty/hopeless/broken (we’re on our third circuit board and it’s gone now out of warranty) and they have some stupid “BOOK ME” thing that sometimes refuses to go away so you have to turn the telly on and off again to get rid of it, The sound has the habit of dropping out on changing channel (have to go into settings to get it back).

Drac

Get a Samsung, we have 3 in our house none have had a single issue. 😀

sbob
    Free Member

Try going without a TV for a while, it’s worked for me.
    Still got t’internet.

Caher

LG – bought mine for the Olympics and still a great picture and have no reason to upgrade as yet.

bruneep

No sky, current TV is a dumb TV so anything is an upgrade.

Don’t buy samsung, do buy Samsung.

Reason we have a TV is because we watch stuff, not so good Mrs B and I watching on ipads/laptops.

Thinking of this

RustySpanner

From painful experience:

Sony – Superb picture, low lag for gaming.
    Everything else is awful – interface, remote, build quality.
    It even has to ‘warm up’ – the software takes about a minute to sort itself out every time you turn it on, and whilst it’s doing so, you can’t change channel or use the menu.
    Apparently Sony are stopping making TV’s shortly.
    Feels like they gave up on them a while ago.

LG – picture just slightly worse than the Sony in pretty much every respect.
    Everything else fine.
    Really easy to set up with the built in calibration software.

Panasonic – best balance.
    Picture nearly as good as the Sony, but interface is really good, very comprehensive but easy to use.
    Seemed very solid too.

Ended up with the Sony after demoing loads, wish I’d gone with the Panasonic tbh.

jimdubleyou

Been impressed with our Samsungs. Have an F8000 40inch in the lounge. Super slim bezel and great picture. No issues, except for the smart hub which is just a software update. The apps are a waster of time, but I think that can be said for all smart TVs at the moment.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go to John Lewis. Have a look and see what you like. Buy it there. Service, delivery and guarantee combined with price matching. Win.

I would normally do full STW and recommend what I have, which is a Sony, but the screen died after only two months. However, JL are doing their usual no quibble replacement, which is due to be delivered in the next couple of days. (It was excellent before it died, so willing to give it another chance!)

joolsburger
    Free Member

Have a look on Richersounds website. They seem by far the best value.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member
    I’d get this

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv—all/sony/bravia-kdl43w805c/sony-kdl43w805cbu

I did. See post above! 🙂

(ninja edit, Jools!)

jambalaya
    Free Member

That looks a good buy CFH, we have a 10 year old Bravia branded TV and its still going strong (clearly very different tech) so agreed you’ve just been unlucky althougha QC worry for sure.

mojodave
    Free Member

I’ve just been looking for a cheapish 40″ and quite like the look of a Samsung Ue40j5200 £262

http://www.ebuyer.com/747837-samsung-j5200-40-led-smart-full-hd-tv-ue40j5200akxxu

Seems to do everything I want, although that 6 year warranty from Richer Sounds is tempting

Milkie
    Free Member

Saying Samsung/ LG is shit is like saying Ford is shit.. There are some Ford models that aren’t shit. Quoting what model is shit or good would be a lot more helpful.

I personally think it is all down to what you think is good. I can make my picture look completely crap and someone will say that looks amazing, I’ll then change the settings to my liking and someone will say it looks worse.

Go have a look at the TV’s and choose which one you think is best. 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New TV time, whats a good 40" (ish) tv to get’ is closed to new replies.