Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New TV time – this any good?
  • dirkpitt74

So it’s time for a new TV in the lounge.

Been looking at this 43″ LG Smart TV, can’t go any bigger due to where it is in the lounge.

So is that a decent spec?
    We currently use a fire stick but that will go in the lads bedroom.

I assume I can get all the apps we use on the fire stick on the TV – other than RedBull TV which isn’t supported by LG.

Anything else to consider for around the same money?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think that’s a 2019 model.
    We’ve got the 8900 series (I think) that’s very similar and it’s great.
    Had an issue rebooting when streaming with the built in apps, but a recent firmware upgrade seems to have fixed that.
    No ALL4 app for LG WebOS either of that’s an issue.

CountZero

There’s been an LG Signature ad on telly recently, so I thought I’d check them out. Apparently there’s a sale on, £10,000 off…
    Reduced to £19,995, should I wait a bit to see if the price drops a bit more…?

twistedpencil

We’ve got an older version of that I think. It’s been great so far. We can get the All4 app working on it as well, unless its newer models that won’t play ball.

I thought I could watch Redbull TV on it as well, but just realised the PS4 gets used for that not the TV apps.  I have a Chromecast plugged in the back but never use it.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all.
    Only apps we really use are:
    Netflix
    Disney+
    Prime Video
    YouTube
    and RedBull TV

I can use the built in AirPlay to send RBTV from my MacBook apparently according to my uber-techy mate.

ogden
    Free Member

Just got a Philips 43PUS8545 and really like it – Android TV and ambilight is a cool bonus. If you wanna get into detail about it avforums is the place to be.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-my-best-value-tvs-2020-2021-edition.2325951/page-12#post-28745309

sadexpunk

just piggy-backing onto this thread as its the latest one and i didnt want to start another….. ive been having problems with current tv, an old 46″ samsung. loss of picture can only be solved by taking off the wall, unplugging all leads, then all back together again. if it were once in a blue moon we could cope with that but its now done it 3 times in 2 days. so…… time to bite the bullet sadly.

we’d be happy going bigger than 46″, maybe even space for 55″, so would you have any recommendations?
    we have a humax recorder, a bluray player and a chromecast plugged into it so no real need for apps, and from what ive read on here previously, isnt it always better to use separate add-ons than built in features anyway?

so….i spose we’re just after the best picture over any other features, and dont know what the difference is between LED, LCD, OLED, QLED, its all a bit confusing. samsung? sony? LG? any others to consider?

thanks

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Just been through the pain of catching up on TV’s after about 10 years, omg things have moved on, went for a Sony 55” OLED, mostly because we were blown away by the picture quality compared to other offerings, not that they were bad but OLED is amazing. Had to give myself a talking to for cost but recon that it will be another 10 years before I look again so went for it and a new sound system.

Shopped around then went to Curry’s for price match, all good.

toemul
    Free Member

I’ve got the 65in version, great tv for the money but mines down bottom of garden so only runs on Internet tv ie amazon Netflix and now for the sports it also has bbci player BUT no free view play which would have made it perfect for my use.

sharkbait
    Free Member

we have a humax recorder, a bluray player and a chromecast plugged into it so no real need for apps,

Although the Chromecast is good (I’ve got 4 I think now) I have to say that having the apps on the TV is very handy – no messing with your phone and all the controls on the remote.

That said the new Chromecast with Google TV is pretty damn fantastic.
    Got it plugged into an older plasma and it’s brought it right up to date.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

We have the 50” version of that LG telly. No complaints about the picture. Disney+ in HDR is exquisite. Sound is a bit pants but no worse than our old Samsung.

The magic remote is decent but not great if you use Virgin Media.

Only problems we’ve had were that it wasn’t compatible with our Samsung DVD player and it very occasionally crashes require a hard reboot.

We’d happily buy again at the price we paid.

funkrodent

Got the 43″ LG. Superb TV, smart remote is great. LG score consistently well in Which reviews, however it can be model / screensize dependent. I’d try and find Which reviews if I was you, superbly comprehensive and totally trustworthy

sharkbait
    Free Member

and it very occasionally crashes require a hard reboot.

Check for a firmware update on the TV – it’s updated a couple of weeks ago and is been perfect since….. No crashes.

dirkpitt74

TV was delivered Friday evening, got it all set up yesterday around a few other DIY jobs.

Ordered this one as the original one I linked was out of stock – bizarrely it was reduced to the same price as the older model.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-43un74006lb-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-amazon-alexa-10206011-pdt.html

Holy cow! How brilliant is 4k!!!

TV was dead easy to set up – working off the Wi-Fi no probs, updates all done and apps we need downloaded.

The magic remote will take a bit of time to get used too.

sadexpunk

well it looks like its stuffed, did a software update, worked ok for a while but now cant get a picture at all, so we’ve pretty much given up.

id be happy with our ‘spare’ 40″ sony from the spare room, but would my wife? what do you think!

shes found this 55″ from richer sounds that she wants us to buy. what do you reckon, any good? anything better for the money?
    LG 55UN70006LA 55 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Freesat HD

thanks

pictonroad

@saxedpunk

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue55tu8507uxxu-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-bixby-alexa-google-assistant-10206272-pdt.html

Bought this on Black Friday (paid £550) and it’s absolutely brilliant. Stuck with Samsung as we’ve had one of their tellies for 11 years and it’s still going.

The only thing it doesn’t have is HDMI 2.1 so won’t run 120fps on an xbox series x.

Everything else on it including all the smart functions are great.

mattyfez

AVforums are probably your best bet if you want to disect the pros and cons of various TV’s.

I tend to prefer LG over samsung. It looks ok to me. hahah!

monkfish
    Free Member

I bought that exact tv for our kitchen. Smart options are good and wide ranging. Picture in hd and 4K also good. Sd picture ok, but the plasma deals with sd better. For the money I’m very impressed.

sadexpunk

I bought that exact tv for our kitchen.

do you mean my link or pictonroads?

mattyfez

I bought that exact tv for our kitchen.

Wait, what, you bought a massive telly for your kitchen?

monkfish
    Free Member

Sadex, not very clear was I. the lg7300

Matty – it had a big wall to fill and it didn’t fancy having pictures of the family up there.

bigfoot
    Free Member

really shouldn’t look at tv threads, i’m now very close to clicking on buying this https://www.richersounds.com/panasonic-tx55hz980b.html

or do i risk getting in trouble from my wife and go 65″

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New TV time – this any good?’ is closed to new replies.