Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New trails on the Monkey?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

Is it just me being blind or is there a new section on the monkey. Riding up the track towards the end of the monkey just before upper cliff I saw a small well worn in track, just before you start to go down the track. It wasn’t signposted with the usual red post but it was fantastic. Really tight and steep in places then there’s a log across a gap then you wind up at the climb to the top of upper cliff. There is a sign at the end of the track. Has anybody else ridden this, is it part of the monkey or just a track built by locals? Oh i’m not talking about the new black section btw, good as it is.

rocketman
    Free Member

On the left? Strictly speaking it’s not open yet.

z1ppy

it’s been there a while, and is fairly well worn from what I saw on my last visit (month ago). No idea why it’s not ‘all’ paved (pile of surface material by the start), but it’s definitely part of the Monkey trail… maybe a few more volunteer’s helped it would become offical sooner
    (we hand over some dosh to the ‘charity’ box in the bike shop, when we visit)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rosss
    Free Member

Yeah on the left. There was no signs so I assumed it was open and I rode it after a bit of rain and it was running really well. Super smooth. I’ll put some money in a box next time i’m around.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Might have seen it. 😉

Should be nice when it’s finished, I’m kinda hoping they might do more runs like that new black too, makes it exciting thinking about the possibility of new extra bits being added.

Woohoo.

postierich
    Free Member

Its an old trail thats been there for years hopefully it will not get tamed will probably have some rocks thrown in to ruin the flow just like the “old monkey”.Probably not opened it yet to ease trail congestion and wear and tear.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I did the two black sections last weekend with a mate. It was a good laugh. Turning left into the first rock garden on the new black is quite spicy. Its amazing what they have done in the area and nice to see things evolving down there.

postierich
    Free Member

Attempted the black sections last night and failed on two occasions both right hand turns onto the rocks(hangs head in shame)just not enough confidence, needed to see someone do it first and was on my own.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

IMHO the blacks rock sections are slow and awkward. The red has loads of flow and is much more fun, esp if you hit all the kickers.

Also re the op’s trail: I rode that trail on my last visit however I understand there is another trail which runs nearby/parallel too

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I looked at the new black sections yesterday and decided I like my collar bones in one piece. They look great but my body doesn’t heal like it used to. 😳

MentalMickey
    Free Member

crotchrocket – Member
    IMHO the blacks rock sections are slow and awkward. The red has loads of flow and is much more fun, esp if you hit all the kickers.

Looks flowy enough to me on this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaPDCkELlsY

We have to define what constitutes fun or enjoyment though, most riders seem to obsess most of the time about speed, almost like they have a theory that if you ain’t going incredibly fast then you can’t possibly be enjoying yourself?

I would disagree slightly, even if sections like that do run slower than the red, there is a lot of enjoyment to be had from the accomplishments of dealing with bumpier terrain, personally, I get as much satisfaction out of a slow delicate balancing act over rocks or perhaps a skinny log, as I do out of ripping over a jump or drop off.

Horses for courses though, but I think there are many elements that make up the bigger picture of off road riding. JMHO.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Things always look different through the lens of a camera or through the eyes of a middle aged mincer. 😉

scruff
    Free Member

Postie, Thursday ?

cb

Was on the Monkey yesterday – brake bumps have ruined most of it now. Inevitable with that level of traffic but I wouldn’t travel again to ride there. Shame as I’m very impressed with the trail and the sheer volume of work those guys put in to build it. Has the money run out now or is there a budget for on-going repairs?

snakebite
    Free Member

scruff – Member

Postie, Thursday ?

Like he’d keep up….

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

brake bumps have ruined most of it now

I agree that the breaking bumps have got bad in some places but is a trail supposed to be groomed to within an inch of it’s life.?

Edit – I used to like “chain slapper” before you cross the road to the camp site. Now that was churned up but it was great.

rocketman
    Free Member

there is a lot of enjoyment to be had from the accomplishments of dealing with bumpier terrain, personally, I get as much satisfaction out of a slow delicate balancing act over rocks or perhaps a skinny log, as I do out of ripping over a jump or drop off.

Interesting comments – personally I breathe a sigh of relief when the trail opens up on Upper/Lower Cliff and have an intense dislike of the slow nadgery parts of the trail.

cb

Who mentioned inch of its life? There were some great berms and other features that aren’t enjoyable anymore (IMO). I’d say the vast majority of downhill corners have lost their flow. Its the flow that I think made the Monkey stand out as a great fun trail and worth a decent drive to get to. If I were local I’d still be grateful to have it on my doorstep but as I said, not worth a drive anymore.

Scamper
    Free Member

The existing and new Black Monkey is harder than anything i’ve seen in my limited experience of other welsh/english centres. Credit to the builders that its still evolving and as i understand it, looks as if all fire road will soon be replaced, not that it had much to start with anyway.

As for braking bumps, have not been on parts of the monkey this year, but lower and upper cliff seem fine to me. Braking bumps just add to the spice sometimes on fast corners. If anything, its the tight berms on upper Tackaroo Follow Your Dad, which need a bit of TLC.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New trails on the Monkey?’ is closed to new replies.