New trails in Philips Park ? (aka HTN country)

Home Forum Bike Forum New trails in Philips Park ? (aka HTN country)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • New trails in Philips Park ? (aka HTN country)
  • Eggbox

I saw a post on here a few months back that said the new trails would be finished in June. When I went up on Saturday it looked rather unfinished. One new section currently ends abruptly in a big pile of mud and gravel.

Is it still being worked on? Anybody know ?

Eggbox

lunch time bump.

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

It’s not finished. delays caused by the bad weather…and people riding the trails before they’re finished 🙁

you’ll know when it’s finished because they’ll be signposts and that.

Eggbox

Ah OK cheers. Good to know they are still working on them.

No sign of any diggers, tape or barriers anywhere though which made me wonder if they had just abandoned it.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Wot Terrahawk said…

Please stay off them until the top surface is down. It looks like they will be quite entertaining when they are finished, but having spoken to one of the guys building them a few weeks ago they are having issues with people riding them before they are ready.

Eggbox

Fair enough, but they need a bit of token tape IMO. Even if it gets ripped down and ends up flapping in the wind it would provide some indication of the fact that they are closed.

After I had been over I googled to see what was happening and found literally nothing (even with the prior knowledge that IMBA were involved).

I don’t condone it but I’m not surprised that they are being used TBH.

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

agreed – some signage is needed so that people know the situation.
    completion is only a matter of a couple of weeks away I’m told. there may be some kind of bike-related shindig as a grand opening.

Premier Icon dawson
    Subscriber

@terrahawk – a summer HTN?

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

Nope, the launch event won’t be a race.
    I’ve no idea what’s being planned as it’s not a HTN thing.
    That’s in February 🙂

whytenosugar

Does anybody know if there are any further updates on the Philips Park trails yet? Also, can anybody tell me where they start from please?

hebdenbiker

Trail starts opposite kiddies playground. I was told there would be a new car park too. Have a look at the plans – plans

solarpowered

Yeah, as hebdenbiker says……Cant wait!!

whytenosugar

Thanks guys, I’ll take a look.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Had a look round on Sunday – new trails themselves look pretty good.

However:

Firstly , the new bits are in pretty much constant use:
    The first section was being ‘sessioned’ (as I believe the yoot say) by a few locals, despite them having to remove the fence blocking off the entrance.
    We had a chat with them and mentioned that it wasn’t really supposed to be ridden, erosion etc, but they weren’t particularly arsed.
    Why would they be, they are just a bunch of kids?
    Nothing a pair of old farts say is going to stop ’em.

Secondly, the plan to keep cyclists and walkers separate on certain sections of trail seems to be well under way:
    Some existing multi use trails that have been used for the last few Hit the North races have now been sanitised and have wooden barriers in place, seemingly designed to keep cyclists out.
    I’m sure the ‘No Cycling’ signs will be up soon, but the good news is that the barriers are easily negotiated by bike, and the trails are still rideable.
    They have ruined a few really nice bits of singletrack (the bit of trail down towards where Ton usually marshals, for example) in the pedestrianisation process though.

So, swings and roundabouts really, I’m going to keep an open mind till it’s all finished and open.

Premier Icon simmy
    Subscriber

I had a walk around the park today, driving across the M60 and parking in that new area opposite the kiddies swings.

I’m sure the plans said it was a Blue route, but the bit I walked, level with the motorway, was well steep and I nearly went on my A*** on some of the “rollercoaster” bits.

More like a Red to me – the trails are still barriered off, but there are tyre tracks all over them.

Bit too steep and extreme for me – anyone know if its all going to be like this or if there are sections that are not as steep.

Premier Icon simmy
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Stay off ’em until they are finished!

scaled

they open yet?

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

not open yet. Funnily enough, we’ve just been asking the local authority the same thing.

we might need some volunteers to get them finished and open and someone with some experience to lead the effort.
    we don’t know the full extent of the work required but if anyone can stick their hand up, please do.

Ta, Jase.

Felofagen

Hand up here. email in profile

scaled

Cheers for the update Jase, I think it was you who showed me round the ‘old’ 😉 trails there.

If folk need a hand anything up there i’m happy to help, just post up here i suppose!

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

cheers. there are a few things that need to be clarified first, such as how much work needs to be done.
    I suspect LOADS, so it might be unreasonable for a volunteer army to sort it.

Will post on here when we’ve got definitive info.

ta, Jase.

banks

Happy to lend a hand too!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘New trails in Philips Park ? (aka HTN country)’ is closed to new replies.