• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by lister.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New trails in Pembrokeshire
  • lister

Pembrokeshire isn’t a hotspot for mountain biking but we now have some purpose built trails you can come and ride.
    Head to Llys y Fran lake and we’ve now got a series of 12 singletrack sections that loop off and on to the main gravel track around the reservoir.
    The trails have been built by West Wales Trails and are graded green – red. We’ve also got a skills area and pump track near the bike hire facility where I’m spending most of my working hours.
    It’s not quite big enough to be an MTB destination in its own right but it’s definitely worth bringing your bike if you’re here on holiday. Watersports, cake and coffee also available on site!
    Come and say hello, I’ll be in the bike workshop listening to cricket most of the summer!

zilog6128

Great, we are down that way end of August! Did a lap of the reservoir a couple of years ago last time we were there, pleasant but not too exciting obviously, I seem to remember everything was closed too? (Possibly cos they were building all the new stuff?) Will take the SUPs too!

lister

Yeah, the lap of the lake was always a winter option for a ride where you didn’t want to disappear up to your axles at some point.
    But now we have purpose built singletrack that flows and is fun!

salad_dodger

Always thought there was plenty of scope for good riding in the and around the Rosebush area. Best of luck with the new Llys Y Fran venture.

molgrips

Hadn’t heard of Llys y Frân. Will be paying a visit this summer I think. Water sports and a bit of easy single-track are just about the only things that can tempt my otherwise immobile pre-teenage daughter out of her usual torpor.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Watersports, cake and coffee also available on site!

Wow, certainly different!

Anyway, good stuff. Lovely part of the world.

nbt

We weren’t going to take mtb, but might be worth putting them in now! Got any pics / videos online anywhere?

bigdaddy

Excellent news – been there loads, it’s about time there was some good mountain biking as well as the great road riding! Well done to all involved!

lister

No official videos yet but a quick youtube search for Llys y Fran MTB has show a few results for some riding in the last few days.
    It’s been bonkers today but I’ve only heard good things about the trails!

csb

Would this be any good for small kids dipping into mtb (who love a skills area and a green/easy blue)? Any good campsites round there?

lister

I’d say it’s a pretty good place for kids to have a play and progress a bit on greens and blues. Lots of potential for easy sessioning of short sections within easy reach of the car park and cafe.
    There will be a campsite on site next year but for now have a look for Rosebush and Maenclochog campsites for something local and reasonably quiet.

Alpha1653
    Free Member

What?! I came back from a week in Bluestone on a Friday night. I even had my bike with me to explore Canaston woods. Why didn’t you post this a week ago????! 😡

Joking aside, great to hear there’s some riding around; good effort to all involved. I lived in Roch for 2 years and got sick of having to drive to Brechfa!

onewilddiesel
    Free Member

visited on friday for a lap of the new trails, id say they are a good variation there & achievable for the target audience,
    unfortunatley with the rain that had fallen just before i arrived it was super slick on the berm section in the woods but still a decent ride,
    i did put some of the trails on trailforks but awaiting them being confirmed,

gnusmas

I’ve been keeping an eye on the updates on this through Facebook and it looks pretty good. Once my health improves a and youngest practices his riding a bit more then the gnusmases will be invading there at some point. We’re only down the road in Carmarthen so probably be visiting more than once.

molgrips

Turns out this place is a few miles from where we stayed last summer!

csb

Thanks @lister

hot_fiat

Does this mean I have to sling the bikes on the van along with everything else in a couple of weeks?

How are the flappy paddle SUP things working out?

BillOddie

See now I have to decide whether to have the “taking bikes” argument with the Mrs… we’re 15mins down the road in a couple of weeks but we have my mum and the dogs with us…

Plus we have another week down that way but much closer to Brechfa and with the in-laws and I’m already playing the bike card for that trip!

nbt

Quick update, having seen this thread we put the MTBs in the car when heading to Pembrokeshire last week and went for a spin around the trails. The must have heard we were coming as they had a lovely reception party with summer playing a harp. Some geezer with a gold chain was knocking around but we stayed well away, can’t be too cautious

The trails are great, definitely worth trying if you’re in the vicinity. It’s nice that there’s a mix of blue and red and they do vary in style. Loved some bits (Duck Duck Goose was a brilliant starter), other bits i found uncomfortable as i was very challenged. The steep switchbacks leading into Kingfisher Canyon are a prime example, my backside was twitching all the way down and i had to tripod some of the corners. If you’re not challenged though, then the trails aren’t hard enough. Credit for the trails pixies, they were actually there on site while we visited (and were expecting a visit from Single-0track that afternoon!) did we did make sure to go over and say thanks and let them know how much we enjoyed it

lister

Good to hear from you @nbt. Glad to hear you liked the trails; the West Wales Trails guys have done a brilliant job.
    Say hello next time; I was coaxing school kids around the skills area to entertain our visiting suits…

thebibbles

I’ll be camping nearby in a couple of weeks. Bikes will be with us and I’m looking forward to visiting with the kids.

BillOddie

Quick update, having seen this thread we put the MTBs in the car when heading to Pembrokeshire last week and went for a spin around the trails. The must have heard we were coming as they had a lovely reception party with summer playing a harp. Some geezer with a gold chain was knocking around but we stayed well away, can’t be too cautious

We were there then too, no bikes with us as I had my hands full with Dogs, kids doing watersports and my mum.

It’s a great spot!

tayls
    Free Member

Hi Lister, i see bikes are available to hire from 9am, but the website says gates open at 10am, which one is correct?
    thanks.

lister

Gates are open at 6am but you can’t hire a bike until 10am.
    The website isn’t a font of complete accuracy 🙂

EDIT: best to book in advance to ensure you get the bikes you need as we don’t have many at the moment.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.