Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • new trails in Bury?
  • wors

Link

Anyone know anything?

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

no, but it’ll be interesting to see what they do.

chorlton
    Free Member

Here.Some place called Waterdale and Drinkwater park. Towards Prestwich.

Harry_the_Spider

The home of Hit the North. I’ve posted the same thing but with a report from The Manchester Evening News.

Junkyard
    Free Member

[Quote]The site had previously been home to bleach and dye works, chemical tip, various farming operations, excavation arisings and a smallpox hospital.[/Quote]
    and people think it is grim up here how little they know eh

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

they’d better not do anything to my chin!!

Harry_the_Spider

“The Chin” is safe, as are “Brian’s steps”. The “Hill of No Deaths (Yet)” however has been tamed to the extent that you could ride down it in a shopping trolley.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

harry, where’s the “Hill of No Deaths (Yet)”?

Harry_the_Spider

I’m not taking you down that, even in its sanitised state! Not after the chin incident.

…and don’t dare think about the legendary “Hill of a Thousand Deaths”.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

oh poo!

What about the descent of the 1 numpty? Can I go down that one??

yoshimi

Waterdale is the small pond not far from philips hall thats always full of weed and also contains the top 3 sections of my pole!

Years ago, we used to make dens all round that area and not far from the pond we fouind an uner ground building – only way to describe it was a long corridor with similar sized rooms coming off it, bit like a prison or travelodge but with much lower ceilings. All sorts of equipment in there and as part of it had been demolished you had to climb through a tiny opening in the rubble – seroiusly unsafe looking back now. But I remember being told it was part of a hospital. Wonder if its still there now?

yoshimi

And whre are these hills you refer to? do you mean ‘Kingy’ coming down from the arches?

terrahawk
    Free Member

Don’t forget “The Valley Of A Thousand Pushes”.
    Wait until HTN 2010 – we’ll try to include “Demolished House Kitchen” and “Ominous Crossbow Woods”.

We’ll never, ever go to “Screaming Squirrel” though.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Yoshimi – I know where you mean and it was still there in about ’89 (about the time I escaped from Bury :D).

Harry_the_Spider

Yoshimi, I know “Kingy” as “Silly Hill” (sharp drop between the fence posts to the left of the arches as you cross the M60?) because you have to be a bit silly to attempt it. My brother-in-law has limited range of movement in one arm as a result of being silly there.

Harry_the_Spider

Years ago, we used to make dens all round that area and not far from the pond we fouind an uner ground building – only way to describe it was a long corridor with similar sized rooms coming off it, bit like a prison or travelodge but with much lower ceilings. All sorts of equipment in there and as part of it had been demolished you had to climb through a tiny opening in the rubble – seroiusly unsafe looking back now. But I remember being told it was part of a hospital. Wonder if its still there now?

Could have been the smallpox wing of the old asylum. Zoinks!

wors

Is it worth a trip to phillips park?

Its sort of on my way home from work.

Harry_the_Spider

It’s not bad. There’s about 4 miles of trails in the park with some technical stuff off in the woods. If you cross the motorway at 13 Arches and follow the Sustrans to Radcliffe there is loads more.

wors

thats the way i’d come from, i work right next to the old bolton-bury canal, might have to have a look one fri afternoon

Eggbox
    Free Member

We used to do “kingy” before the days of disc brakes and suspension… it’s fine, get yerself down it.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve done it, but a rut has formed at the bottom which caused my brother-in-law to have an unscheduled dismount followed by a shoulder/fence post/ground interface.

Harry_the_Spider

Would anyone be up for a spot of trail building if they are after volunteers? I’m going to get in touch once i’ve calmed down about the “encouraging the organization of events” incident/pack of lies… Piss no longer boiling, but still at 85°C+.

Eggbox
    Free Member

There used to be another drop in prestwich clough behind the graveyard where you could drop down the steep bank, cross the wooden bridge at the bottom and get up the other steep bank on the other side near one of the exits to StAnns road….now that was fast…and one of my mates hit the bridge once. Ouch.

wors

Yeah could be. Going to go past that way next week on the way home from work.

yoshimi

Eggbox, do I know you? I spent most of my youth on a fully ridgid doing those bits!

Eggbox
    Free Member

Yoshimi, I used to ride a lot down there in the late 80s – early 90s with mates from school, went to St Peters/ later Monicas.

yoshimi

Eggbox – that was around the same time I rode a lot down there – but with Prestwich High people:)

Harry_the_Spider

This is all getting rather incestuous… When were you at Prestwich High? My missus left in the summer of ’88.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

harry, surely it’s only incestuous if you sleep with your sister? 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘new trails in Bury?’ is closed to new replies.